Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded food and service in business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A menu is now available on the ANA website but only in Japanese.

https://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/co...ack/index.html

Onigiri & miso soup is 800 yen, everything else is 700 yen. An interesting selection.
the english page is here

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con.../index_ge.html
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fumanku
I can deal with downgrades in service, but the thing that bugs me is that I pay for business class on ANA because of its perceived quality both in amenities and in service.

The fact that they become more and more like UA bothers me and makes me not want to spend my $$$ on the tickets.
More like UA? I just got back from an award trip in C, SFO-NRT-SFO and ANA service and food was just how I remember it. Excellent. With no resemblance to UA and its variable service.

CAs: Staffed to the max. I was in the front of the C cabin and counted six different CAs taking care of my part of the cabin, including two who stopped by to chat (I smile a lot, speak extremely basic Japanese and am Asian. Also with a shaved head ).

Food: I like Japanese food a LOT so I enjoyed. Much better than UA's selection. Sake and shochu! Some blue cocktail. Stew for a on request light meal. And a keitai strap with the Japanese meal!

AVOD: Great selection of movies. On demand. Evangelion 1.0, Heat, Diamonds are Forever. Enough said.

Seat: Folds flat but at a slight angle. UA's new C is a better seat.

So if ANA were to be more like UA, I'd lean toward making the C seat a true fold flat like UA. Otherwise, there's no comparision, as far as I can see. Then again, I spend a lot more time in UA C so it's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Last edited by abraxis; Nov 8, 2009 at 11:31 pm
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfpaul900
Guava: what were those snarky comments supposed to mean?

And as for your downright nasty comment re:UA
Why so defensive?
He's just stating his opinion. Some people are just more direct and prefer not to "beat around the bush".
Guava does know a thing or two about flying in these cabins - he's not just talking rubbish.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SMK77
Well, that's because you had one of the flights not catered by US cabin crew... SIN-NRT is served by Asian based crews and service attitude is okay. Try the same on any routing that includes a US city...
To be fair even UA routes includes a US city, from my flying TPAC on UA since 1998, it is always a mix batch, usually routes include a longer layover time for FA would be better service like ORD-HKG/PEK/PVG, or SFO-HKG/PEK/PVG. Most of those I experience have the "go the extra mile" atitude, only 1 or 2 FA per flight are rather poor.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Why so defensive?
He's just stating his opinion. Some people are just more direct and prefer not to "beat around the bush".
Guava does know a thing or two about flying in these cabins - he's not just talking rubbish.
Well then, I must be a real dunce because I don't find his comments to be direct at all. Guava: what exactly do you mean by the following comment?

You know trouble when you smell it. Now that NH F cabin will be swamped with UA cheapos using MP miles, we can kiss quality service and food on NH F goodbye for a while.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Yes indeed

I just did a NRT-SFO run in C and completely agree with the OP. The timing of the meal service is awful for an eastbound flight to the West Coast -- makes it impossible to get any sleep. By the time they finished the meal service and turned off the lights, we were halfway between Adak and Anchorage, and starting to turn south; then they turned the lights on again a couple of hours later for the supposedly-optional second meal, which they asked everyone to order anyway.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but the cabin attendants seem to be getting older and a bit surlier. I tried to get some hot water to make some echinacea tea I had brought with me. The CA, who looked to be in her mid-forties (even in her dolled-up state), responded like this:

ME: Can I just have some hot water?
CA: I'm sorry?
ME: Hot water.
CA: You want hot water?!
ME: Yes.
CA: I don't understand.
ME: (getting frustrated) O-yu.
CA: OK, I'll be right back. (She disappears and never comes back)
Hate to say it, but UA's flat beds on the 747 are starting to look attractive in comparison, and I would probably prefer them for West Coast runs were it not for (1) the planes still falling apart half of the time, (2) United being unable to handle luggage to save its life, and (3) StarNet blocking.

Anyone listening???
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Wow! Special offers during December and January. Everything is 500 yen!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Any recent experiences on NH F?
I am considering an award ticket, ex-ORD, and currently have a CO Biz ticket. Would you change from CO Biz to NH F?
I have always loved the food in NH F.......
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Any recent experiences on NH F?
I am considering an award ticket, ex-ORD, and currently have a CO Biz ticket. Would you change from CO Biz to NH F?
I have always loved the food in NH F.......
Yes. I had the new service on my last trip. You'd enjoy it. I just don't get excited about "airplane food" any more. They encourage mix and match orders. You'll have quite a number of items to try. If you can afford the mileage, why wouldn't you?

-Cheers,

Scho
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Sarah Kirschbaum
I came to this section to search info about NH's business class between
the US and Japan.... I was sort of forced to fly JL because of my AA status.
However, this time I was given a choice between NH and JL. Fine with me,
since I'm in the process of defecting from oneWorld to Star Alliance.

For flights from West Coast to Tokyo in the month of July, am I better off
with NH or JL? Based on this thread, it appears that NH has degraded
its business class food service..... but how does it compare to NH on the
same routes?

I never sleep on planes(even on 14-hour Trans-Pac flights) so seat comfort
for sleeping is no concern to me.My laptop plays Blu-ray, so I keep myself
amused that way.... so it's really just the service(food and booze) that
really matters to me....
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Give NH a shot, then. They are still great for food and booze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.