Wiki Posts
Search

Another perfect trip in NH F NRT-CDG-NRT

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Another perfect trip in NH F NRT-CDG-NRT

I used the fairly new Z class buzywari '14' fare between NRT-CDG-NRT.
It comes to 580k yen instead of the normal fare of over 1.100k yen
Restrictions are quite stiff (ticket issue 2 weeks before departure, no change of dates allowed even for the return flight) If you can issue 28 days before departure you can have it for 380k yen

Used points to upgrade NRT-CDG (24 Apr.) and miles to upgrade CDG-NRT (3 May)

NRT-CDG cleared very quickly but CDG-NRT only did 4 days before flight (via website)

First experience of a flight where Y was obviously overbooked whch meant Y got upgraded to C and C to F making it a full flight althoug up to oen day before departure seat map was still showing a very sparse C class cabin and only 2 seats assigned in F. On day of departure upgrades where apparently given at check-in.
Purser also said this s very very unusual (contrary to very common on UA)

Return flight was WL upgrade wilt miles for over a month. Was told 4 waiting including me and seat map showed one blocked seat (1A) and one assigned seat 5A.
My seat cleared 4 days before flight and I took 1K
Seat map showed only 3 assigned seat until departure day.
All other 3 upgrades cleared at check-in as we ended up with 5 pax in F
1A was left empty and I had both front seats for myself....very pleasant indeed.

Food is much much better from Japan especially the Japanese option but you only have the traditional caviar service into Japan, on the way out it is replaced by a crab mousse topped up by caviar (not bad but I prefer the caviar on its own)

Service is tops as usual.

NH only uses their last 747s on this CDG route for a few more weeks before all their long haul US and European routes will be with 777 and only 8 seats in F.....

I am well on my way to go back to Diamond status next year, another European trip on NH and it should be done.
Diamond requires 100k miles (of which at least 50k on NH)

An added bonus on NH between now and end September is an extra 8 upgrade points for each return US or european flight in most economy class fares or most business class fares (must be a return flight not 2 OW)
These points must be used before end March 2010.
Old May 5, 2009, 1:34 pm

I have also taken NRT-FRA recently and might add a few of my own points:

1. Food was excellent as expected. But I felt that the l'Oasis western meal was a much better experience overall compared to the Japanese meal. The western meal was truly great in just about every course, the highlight being the wagyu tenderloin steak - and the desserts were fantastic as well. The Japanese meal was good, but not great - which surprised me greatly. Maybe the May menu is better than the April menu...

2. On my flight, there were no op-ups into the cabin - just a total of 3 passengers. 1 DIA, 1 PLT (upgraded with miles/points) and me. It made for a great experience with so few passengers and the cabin never felt crowded (as you'd expect).

I sat in 2K and I was perfectly happy with my seat - it was far enough from 2A, private and spacious.

3. I thought 1A and 1K were far too close for two strangers to travel together, although quite nice if travelling . However, if 1A stays empty like in JackR's case, then it would be a good pair of seats.

4. Service was, as JackR says, tops. Alongside SQ, it's about as good as it gets.

5. As is the case with SQ, I will be sad to see the 747s end service. That was partly why I was so keen to fly NH F before the switchover to 77W (which I have tried as well)

Overall, it was a really great flight, despite being returned back to NRT after 2.5 hours due to an ill passenger (and eventually arriving into FRA some 8 hours late). The crew could not be more apologetic, I was given JPY5000 meal voucher for dinner at NRT (!) and I got to try out both Japanese and Western meals. I must have been the only person on the rather full 747 who was glad to be flying for an extra 5 hours...
Old May 7, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by JackR
Food is much much better from Japan especially the Japanese option but you only have the traditional caviar service into Japan, on the way out it is replaced by a crab mousse topped up by caviar (not bad but I prefer the caviar on its own)

Service is tops as usual.
Good to hear that the overall experience was 'perfect'! Gives me hope for my next SFO-NRT--wondering if the catering out of SFO will improve (after all, they did "forward [my] email to our In-Flight Management Team for their attention and consideration" ).
Old May 7, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Can someone explain something to me?

Is it just me?

My last two trips in NH F (I thought the first one was an accident). Both 77Ws.

When the seat is fully flat, the footrest did not become fully flush with the seat. Instead, it jutted out ever so slightly, but was rock solid, and was just enough to make it utterly excrutiating to sleep (like having a rock dig into my calves).

Is this normal?

The FAs seemed to think that's now it's supposed to be.

I'm not quite wary of flying NH F again, because I really couldn't sleep (or even relax) at all, and these were *long* flights.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: AC.SE
So I just flew SFO-NRT in F. The canapés were not better--two olives and a piece of cheese on a toothpick, two asparagus tips wrapped in prosciutto, and a third forgettable item. Also, the breadsticks were smaller than I remember. And the blinis and baguette slices that came with the caviar service were also smaller than usual.

Everything else was very good, though! Will be interesting to try the l´Oasis menu on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.