Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Length of name whilst booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Length of name whilst booking

Hi All. My first post on this forum. Planning to book a multi city flight Oslo / Sydney / Auckland / Tokyo for next year. When first registering for Mileage Club the online page referred to 23 letters in total for Family name & Given name. Similarly the booking page referred to 45 letters in total. I have 3 Given names totalling 20 letters (7,7 &6 respectively). My family name is 7 letters. I would be grateful for any advice on if this will be ok or how to input. The mileage club limit looks like a definite problem. Can I omit the 6 letter middle name from that page whilst including it in the booking as per my passport? Also do I put spaces between middle names when entering?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards
Tim
goodgirl likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jenkit
Hi All. My first post on this forum. Planning to book a multi city flight Oslo / Sydney / Auckland / Tokyo for next year. When first registering for Mileage Club the online page referred to 23 letters in total for Family name & Given name. Similarly the booking page referred to 45 letters in total. I have 3 Given names totalling 20 letters (7,7 &6 respectively). My family name is 7 letters. I would be grateful for any advice on if this will be ok or how to input. The mileage club limit looks like a definite problem. Can I omit the 6 letter middle name from that page whilst including it in the booking as per my passport? Also do I put spaces between middle names when entering?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards
Tim
What do you normally use of names when booking a flight? All of them?

Your first listed first name and last name should principally be enough. Maybe even any of the names listed at first names.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
My names are all even longer than yours and it is causing a problem with ANA. Due to the Mileage Club limitations I could only put in the first and second given name when registering.
When booking flights I could put in all three given names in full. (Flights were to the US, and I wanted to make sure the name in the booking matches the passport exactly. There are always warnings that this needs to be the case.)
Now I am unable to add my Mileage club number to the booking very likely due to this name mismatch.

So I would say if you plan to credit ANA flights to Mileage club, make sure the name matches exactly.
Old May 15, 2024, 6:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Your first listed first name and last name should principally be enough. Maybe even any of the names listed at first names.
NHs ok with this? And we were aping John over at Loyaltylobby for a similar whinge HKexpress ex-Japan

https://loyaltylobby.com/2024/05/12/...h-at-check-in/

https://archive.li/NTWep
Old May 15, 2024, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
NHs ok with this? And we were aping John over at Loyaltylobby for a similar whinge HKexpress ex-Japan

https://loyaltylobby.com/2024/05/12/...h-at-check-in/

https://archive.li/NTWep
My experience from my team in Vietnam travelling to Tokyo is that their names are quite interchangeable on the bookings.

For the example linked, it does indeed look like a blatant money grab by HK Express. Though it is probably more a case of overly strongly worded instructions to the outsourced handling agent in Narita. They see the rules, and follow them to the only conclusion which is pay 7000 yen so we can fix it.

There is as pointed out in the article no actual requirements for middle names on the tickets, and generally reputable airlines will not get you in trouble for missing the middle name.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:39 pm

My experience from my team in Vietnam travelling to Tokyo is that their names are quite interchangeable on the bookings.
From our perspective in HK we don’t find Chan/Tai is a satisfactory match for Chan, Tai Man.

But you said Vietnam, and their names are like ours (multi word given names, each word single syllable). If you say your team is getting away with it from their end then perhaps it’s not an Asia-wide thing.

Last edited by percysmith; May 16, 2024 at 1:29 am
Old May 16, 2024, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
From our perspective in HK we dont find Chen/Tai is a satisfactory match for Chan, Tai Man.

But you said Vietnam, and their names are like ours (multi word given names, each word single syllable). If you say your team is getting away with it from their end then perhaps its not an Asia-wide thing.
How would Chen be a replacement for Chan? (or a typo?)

I guess it depends on how Tai Man is seen from a naming logic convention. Is it seen as one or two names, I guess that would depend on the Chinese characters assigned to the name.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:32 am

How would Chen be a replacement for Chan? (or a typo?)
Typo, my bad (fixed above)

I guess it depends on how Tai Man is seen from a naming logic convention. Is it seen as one or two names, I guess that would depend on the Chinese characters assigned to the name.
One character per name Tai 大 Man 文 (Chan, Tai Man is our general placeholder namehttps://zh-yue.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/代用名 )

Last edited by percysmith; May 16, 2024 at 2:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.