Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Room vs. The Square

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:28 pm

I'd take Older First over New Business anyday. You are one of not many vs one of many. Food and Beverage product, Service is significantly better. Ground service not comparable.. Be warned, once you experience ANA F, everything else is meh..
pesos likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:19 am

Came here after a pretty meh flight in The Room from HND-LAX yesterday. Surely expectations played a role as I had not read this thread before booking. A few observations:Hard product
  • the seat is massive, but there is no “lounge” setting. Perhaps this is user error, but I could not get comfortable. The only presets were takeoff/landing, lie flat, and eat (which was more upright than landing). The armrest was super high and I never used the other half or the seat while lounging. My bum was numb for most of the flight. I would have given up half the width for a “cradled” position. I actually found the seat on Ana’s 787-10 from my previous flight more comfortable for lounging.
  • Durning takeoff and landing, they came around and made us harness up across our chests like we were in the jump seat.
  • I am 6 ft and on my back both my toes and head touched either end or the bed - had to curl up on my side to make it work. That really surprised me.
  • There is a matters pad but no way to anchor it to the seat and it’s about half the width of the seat, so it ended up getting bunched up and I eventually just put it to the side.
Airport experience
  • Lounge at HND was an absolute zoo. 120 min wait for a shower. Hard to find a seat. Crowds around the scant food offerings.
Soft product
  • due to the lounge crowding, I decided I would just eat on the plane. I was on the HND-LAX flight that departed at 10pm or so.
  • After take off, I asked when dinner would be served. The FA told me they would be no dinner. No meal until 2 hours before landing in LA. Literally no scheduled meal for the first 8 hours of the flight. I have never encountered this before. Truncated, sure. But *no* meal?!
  • The airline did offer “on demand snacks” so I ordered a cheese plate and a “chicken sandwich” which ended up being a lounge croissant with lettuce and Mayo and processed chicken. Pretty gross actually.
  • My finished plate stayed on my tray for about 55 minutes before it was cleared. And a few request the staff forgot about entirely.
  • There was no included wifi in business class.
  • Ana is one of the few airlines in the world that requires you to wear a mask on the entire long haul fight as of this writing.

Anyways, the seat is large and they got us safely to Los Angeles, but this didn’t rank anywhere near my top 10 business class flights.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:45 pm

To add my thoughts, briefly...I recently flew back-to-back flights on ANA in J, the first in a 787-9 with staggered Business, then 777-300ER with the Room. I enjoyed both flights, but felt that the Room was leagues beyond the original Business.

The Room felt like first class -- so roomy, huge sleeping surface, privacy doors, etc. Yes, the seat cushion is harder than the staggered Business class, but on both flights, I ended up using the seat topper that ANA provides, which made the surface feel equally comfortable (to me). Had my best sleep on a plane.

Given the repeated reports about sleeping surface hardness, I had packed an extra mattress topper of my own, just in case -- and ended up not using it.

Another aspect that was important to me was the IFE screen, and there was simply no comparison between the Room and staggered Business. Relatedly, the screen in First Square looks to be similarly sized, and less high-resolution, than the Room.

Clearly though, opinions differ, and I don't at all discount the views of those that prefer staggered Business or have issues with the Room. Nevertheless, in my case, I was thoroughly impressed -- having flown J on a variety of different carriers, and now tried both of ANA's J offerings, I can say that the Room is a better business class product than most others out there (including some excellent ones that I have flown, e.g., SQ J), and in terms of the hard product, rivals F on other airlines in some ways.
night718 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
To add my thoughts, briefly...I recently flew back-to-back flights on ANA in J, the first in a 787-9 with staggered Business, then 777-300ER with the Room. I enjoyed both flights, but felt that the Room was leagues beyond the original Business.

Another aspect that was important to me was the IFE screen, and there was simply no comparison between the Room and staggered Business. Relatedly, the screen in First Square looks to be similarly sized, and less high-resolution, than the Room.
Nice!

And yes the Room screen should be significantly better than the Square given the age difference.
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
THIS! I've learned not to trust the biz class reviews of bloggers and YouTubers. I was actually surprised that Sam Chui's review of the Room included a very short comment (buried toward the end of the review) that the seat was a little firm (or something to that effect). You know that if he mentioned it in his review, then it must be a significant problem. He gets lots of attention and fawning from airlines, because they know he will write glowing reviews of their product, so if even he mentions that the seat is hard (even in passing, in a tiny comment buried in a paragraph near the bottom in a review that is otherwise full of praise), then you know it's a problem.
Without even having tried The Room, I could tell from the first pics that emerged that the seats were going to be hard due to the thin cushioning. Slimline seats are ubiquitous in economy, and now they're starting to appear even in premium cabins (sigh).
Old May 24, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Slightly off topic but I flew my dad on The Square from NRT-SFO before the VS devaluation, and he had the audacity to complain that it didn't feel worth it . I enjoy booking special experiences for my family, but sometimes the appreciation isn't really there if they're not miles / points people and don't know how rare these opportunities are, which slightly irked me.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:22 am

Might me out of topic but what would you FTer choose between The Suite and The Square?
Currently have 2 bookings:
SFO - NRT (Square, full meal)
HND - JFK (Suite, snacks)
Background: first time NH F, I personally don't think reducing meals would be such a problem, but the downside is I have to stayover at JFK cause no flight connect to YYZ at that time.

So is it worth it to pay extra night's accommodation just to experience the Suite? (It does have Hibiki 21 though)
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by davidlin15
Might me out of topic but what would you FTer choose between The Suite and The Square?
Currently have 2 bookings:
SFO - NRT (Square, full meal)
HND - JFK (Suite, snacks)
Background: first time NH F, I personally don't think reducing meals would be such a problem, but the downside is I have to stayover at JFK cause no flight connect to YYZ at that time.

So is it worth it to pay extra night's accommodation just to experience the Suite? (It does have Hibiki 21 though)
Hmm...it seems like the Square will give you the wonderful ANA full meal service, and assuming that the bed is already really good (some even say the Suite has a harder bed), then there don't seem to be that many tradeoffs to flying in an older F cabin. The main demerits, IMO, are that the IFE screen is smaller and not 4K, and the Square has a more closed off feeling with the side walls which may block some of the windows.

I thought that the Suite looked fantastic when I saw the cabin in person, but I'm not sure it is the quantum leap over the prior version that The Room is over Staggered for J. That being said, the Suite assuredly is the best of the best when it comes to ANA F. Just that the Square probably comes with all the same excellent soft product, and the hard product is still pretty good, so it might not be necessary to wait one extra night just to take the Suite (and lose meal service to boot).
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:18 pm

Either will be fantastic, and especially if you are tall like me light years ahead of either J product.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
Hmm...it seems like the Square will give you the wonderful ANA full meal service, and assuming that the bed is already really good (some even say the Suite has a harder bed), then there don't seem to be that many tradeoffs to flying in an older F cabin. The main demerits, IMO, are that the IFE screen is smaller and not 4K, and the Square has a more closed off feeling with the side walls which may block some of the windows.

I thought that the Suite looked fantastic when I saw the cabin in person, but I'm not sure it is the quantum leap over the prior version that The Room is over Staggered for J. That being said, the Suite assuredly is the best of the best when it comes to ANA F. Just that the Square probably comes with all the same excellent soft product, and the hard product is still pretty good, so it might not be necessary to wait one extra night just to take the Suite (and lose meal service to boot).
Thanks for your reply. Yeah if def kills me to think book an extra night of a stayover just because of the suite..
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Flew the old F “Square” product ORD-HND back in April, and was hoping, hoping that the plane would be swapped with one of the reconfigured planes. First time flying on ANA ever. I was surprised when they announced they were introducing new F and J products a few years ago and both of them looked amazing, but my impression of the old products based on pictures and reviews were that they were still solid and competitive.

In short, the experience was amazing even in the old product. Food, service, seat, bed, amenities, all top notch. But it was only when I flew them that I noticed some aging aspects of the product. The screen was older with duller, less vibrant colors. The IFE system itself had a clunky user interface (movies weren’t even alphabetized) and was relatively slow in responding to inputs. The internet worked on and off even after several system resets by the flight attendants.

I can still highly recommend flying ANA in old F and I’d still be willing to fly in their old J. But I understand now why ANA is introducing the new products, and the IFE at least looks to be an improvement. Not sure about the internet but I am hopeful they made improvements? I think the better question here should be whether the difference between the new J and the new F is worth it. If I had to choose, I’d say if you have not flown on the old F, choose that first and cheer if you get upgraded to a plane with the new product. Then fly on the new J/new F on a later date since those will still be around for a while. Just my two cents.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro
Flew the old F “Square” product ORD-HND back in April, and was hoping, hoping that the plane would be swapped with one of the reconfigured planes. First time flying on ANA ever. I was surprised when they announced they were introducing new F and J products a few years ago and both of them looked amazing, but my impression of the old products based on pictures and reviews were that they were still solid and competitive.

In short, the experience was amazing even in the old product. Food, service, seat, bed, amenities, all top notch. But it was only when I flew them that I noticed some aging aspects of the product. The screen was older with duller, less vibrant colors. The IFE system itself had a clunky user interface (movies weren’t even alphabetized) and was relatively slow in responding to inputs. The internet worked on and off even after several system resets by the flight attendants.

I can still highly recommend flying ANA in old F and I’d still be willing to fly in their old J. But I understand now why ANA is introducing the new products, and the IFE at least looks to be an improvement. Not sure about the internet but I am hopeful they made improvements? I think the better question here should be whether the difference between the new J and the new F is worth it. If I had to choose, I’d say if you have not flown on the old F, choose that first and cheer if you get upgraded to a plane with the new product. Then fly on the new J/new F on a later date since those will still be around for a while. Just my two cents.
Yes the primary benefits of The Suite vs Square are the incredibly huge and vibrant 4k screen with hdmi input, the window visibility, and for some the door (I don’t really care about the door myself).

Given my height and foot size I would choose the Square over the Room 8 days a week. If I were under 190cm I might enjoy the Room more than I did, but at 193ish it was a poor and uncomfortable layout and use of space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.