Wiki Posts
Search

The Room vs. The Square

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
The Room vs. The Square

Almost too scared to post this. We're currently booked on NRT-LAX in F (award), however, it is the old product The Square and the flight is also a day later than we originally wanted to head back home, i.e. an extra vacation day. This shouldn't really be a deciding factor though.

I am now seeing availability for The Room on the day before, and was wondering if there was such a big difference in F service to make up for the older equipment. I also read that The Square is not really ideal for couples traveling together due to the very enclosed space. Current F flight leaves at 5 PM, the other would leave at 11 PM.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Almost too scared to post this. We're currently booked on NRT-LAX in F (award), however, it is the old product The Square and the flight is also a day later than we originally wanted to head back home, i.e. an extra vacation day. This shouldn't really be a deciding factor though.

I am now seeing availability for The Room on the day before, and was wondering if there was such a big difference in F service to make up for the older equipment. I also read that The Square is not really ideal for couples traveling together due to the very enclosed space. Current F flight leaves at 5 PM, the other would leave at 11 PM.

Thoughts anyone?
Out of curiosity, what's the difference in points?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker

Thoughts anyone?
I am sure you've read reviews of the differences in hard product. I don't think a better HD screen is going to make your trip any better. But I do think the superior food and booze offerings in first really make it a special event above and beyond the hard product you would enjoy in The Room. Also, the 11pm flight is a redeye so you're likely going to have a shorter food service and get to sleep more, negating any real benefit of being able to engage with your partner.

If it were me, I would do First in the Square. You just don't have as many opportunities to fly First class as good as ANA and when the chance arises, it's worth it.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Out of curiosity, what's the difference in points?
I booked with VS points so the difference is 10,000 points per person, one way (45K for J, 55K for F)
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I am sure you've read reviews of the differences in hard product. I don't think a better HD screen is going to make your trip any better. But I do think the superior food and booze offerings in first really make it a special event above and beyond the hard product you would enjoy in The Room. Also, the 11pm flight is a redeye so you're likely going to have a shorter food service and get to sleep more, negating any real benefit of being able to engage with your partner.

If it were me, I would do First in the Square. You just don't have as many opportunities to fly First class as good as ANA and when the chance arises, it's worth it.
Thank you for the very elaborate response. I was/am leaning the same way, just wanted to get everyone's temperature on new hard product vs. better class service.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would also do F for this reason alone.
whipwhitaker likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:16 am

I would undoubtedly fly first class in the Square over business class in the room. As others have stated, its pretty tough to get ANA first class availability. Despite the Room being a better hard product, you can't beat the more personalized service you get in first class as well as the privacy. 8 seats vs 60+.

There are 3 other very important factors as well. ANA's first class lounge at Narita will be far less busy than ANA's business lounge (which is a priority pass lounge). If you get there a few hours early, you can enjoy the first class lounge and the food if you so choose. Another major factor is that ANA's first class menu is the best when flying out of Japan. That is something you don't want to pass up on. First class full menu vs redeye business flight menu? That's a no brainer.

Lastly, if you are bringing back a lot of luggage, first class is allowed 3 checked bags as opposed to 2.

Last edited by EK017; Oct 12, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EK017
I would undoubtedly fly first class in the Square over business class in the room. As others have stated, its pretty tough to get ANA first class availability. Despite the Room being a better hard product, you can't beat the more personalized service you get in first class as well as the privacy. 8 seats vs 60+.

There are 3 other very important factors as well. ANA's first class lounge at Narita will be far less busy than ANA's business lounge (which is a priority pass lounge). If you get there a few hours early, you can enjoy the first class lounge and the food if you so choose. Another major factor is that ANA's first class menu is the best when flying out of Japan. That is something you don't want to pass up on. First class full menu vs redeye business flight menu? That's a no brainer.

Lastly, if you are bringing back a lot of luggage, first class is allowed 3 checked bags as opposed to 2.
Just one point of clarification on the Room, in terms of privacy. Front minicabin, rows 5 and 6, comprise only 8 seats in the entire section.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
The seat in the Room is very hard -- harder than any other airline seat I've ever sat in, and I've been flying Japanese airlines for 20 years. In your situation I would definitely go for the old F seat.
mjm, joejones and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
The seat in the Room is very hard -- harder than any other airline seat I've ever sat in, and I've been flying Japanese airlines for 20 years. In your situation I would definitely go for the old F seat.
They do put the hard in hard product.

Why on earth don't they just replace the cushions?
ronin98syu likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:27 am

Definitely fly first for the food. Hard product is not as new, of course, but the lay flat bed should be more comfortable. I've only flown The Suite but I've heard The Square had more cushion than The Suite.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
They do put the hard in hard product.

Why on earth don't they just replace the cushions?
Every blogger has declared it the best business class in the world. I doubt they have the incentive to upgrade their product.
joer1212 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:39 am
Suspended

Every blogger has declared it the best business class in the world. I doubt they have the incentive to upgrade their product.
I'm not inclined to disagree. I seek it out and use it frequently.

However, it's hard as a rock. Once awe over the space settles, it becomes apparent it's a glaring flaw. So glaring, it makes me wonder if a little discomfort was introduced to differentiate it from F.
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I'm not inclined to disagree. I seek it out and use it frequently.

However, it's hard as a rock. Once awe over the space settles, it becomes apparent it's a glaring flaw. So glaring, it makes me wonder if a little discomfort was introduced to differentiate it from F.
Do the pillows, blanket, and mattress pad help?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by night718
Do the pillows, blanket, and mattress pad help?
Yes. In fact given the reawakening of long gone lower back pain on my last Room ride, I intend to call ANA's disability accommodation line to see what they'll do. My suggestion will be they provide three of the rather thin mattress pads and see if that helps.
joejones and night718 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.