Search
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:45 pm

Well done! Wonder if you have any suggestions on getting from NYC to SYD in December for a month on points....have united, chase and Amex points.
Also - If I have sufficient United miles to book and ANA flight do I call the United desk and quote the miles required by ANA?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Reg Dwight
Well done! Wonder if you have any suggestions on getting from NYC to SYD in December for a month on points....have united, chase and Amex points.
Also - If I have sufficient United miles to book and ANA flight do I call the United desk and quote the miles required by ANA?
Wrong thread. This is about Round The World tickets (RTW). You can fly using united miles (and the mileage united shows you) or using ANA miles (and the mileage shown). But they won't "match" each others pricing.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Reg Dwight
Finding award tickets in December to Australia basically requires you to book when the schedule opens, they are picked up pretty quickly. And as cash tickets are also in pretty high demand, extra releases are not likely. But you should just search online via United, and if you see anything, book immediately. UA will show you the amount of miles needed while searching. But really, any questions on that process should be asked in the United forum.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:17 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
RTW Business Class Partner awards virtually impossible Now

Have ANA Removed/Discontinued Partner Business Class Awards ? Every Airline and Route for RTW I have looked for on ANA site no Longer had Business Class Award Seats although showing in United and The Partner Airlines own site. i.e. Thai and Air Canada

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 4, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:19 am

Looking for feedback. I've read and read everything I can to do this, but still wondering if I have it all down right. I'm planning a trip next July-Aug with my 16-year-old daughter. Probably 5 weeks is what we can carve out. We have 500k AMEX points to transfer to ANA. She has only one request, a short 3-day safari in Africa (thinking Tanzania). We have to end in Brazil (before coming back to US). Was looking at something like LAX-SIN-ADD-IST-EZE-GRU-IAH/MIA, but honestly, we'd be fine going to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives or somewhere else in that part of the world (just avoiding Europe this time is all). I'd like to do as much as possible in business class. Here are my general questions:
  • Is business class possible for much of this? (I'll book as soon as flights are available in the coming month). But for instance, several have made it sound like we can't do Singapore Airlines in business via ANA, true?
  • Is there anything you would avoid here or say is a must-do?
  • I've set up both our ANA accounts. Confused by the family account piece though. Do I just transfer all points to me and then I can book for both of us? Or do I use the family account (I assumed it was for pooling miles, not just me booking for two of us).
  • Flights on SIN have already opened up for the beginning of our trip, but many of the other airlines we looked at (Turkish, etc.) aren't yet. I assume that means they aren't available for us to book through ANA then either and we have to literally wait until the very last airline we might use opens their schedule?
  • Since our itinerary is so open, would it be eaiser to just get on the phone with the ANA rep to book and go with whatever various options they provide? Again we don't have a lot of specifics other than making our way to/from Africa at some point and getting from ADD or IST to Brazil or Argentina.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:59 pm

Hello all! I'm looking to book my first reward / RTW flight for next year. Not really sure where to start but I have 250k+ AMEX MR points that I can transfer.
I want this to be a RTW but not many stops / destinations. Details below.
I can leave the US from (LAS, IAH, DFW, NY airports, LAX, SFO)
Would like to visit Japan, Thailand, Turkey or 1-2 countries in Europe.

Not sure on the timeline and when / how I should start looking so any help is much appreciated. Planning the travel for October 2023 so there's some time but I want to be on the top of it.
Thanks all!
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kmgalli
I finalized my booking yesterday -- here is what we ended up with:
ORD-LIS
MXP-SIN
DPS-SIN
SIN-BNE
SYD-WLG
PPT-SFO

Great Circle Mapper had shown a total of 21,883 including one more SIN-DPS segment but the ANA calculation was slightly different so we dropped that over the phone. We are traveling as a family of 4 and opted to book in economy for 85,000 miles each.

Fees came to $618 for adults and $543 for the kids. Total YQ for our routing was $280.
I find the low YQ remarkable, since my West coast to SE Asia RT had $415 tax, probably ~$370 YQ. This was booked in early August so possibly YQ increased.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by jcamis
  • Since our itinerary is so open, would it be eaiser to just get on the phone with the ANA rep to book and go with whatever various options they provide? Again we don't have a lot of specifics other than making our way to/from Africa at some point and getting from ADD or IST to Brazil or Argentina.
Thanks everyone for your help!
It's always better to have flights to feed to the representative. Being flexible is great, but you probably want to search for award availability options for each leg to have a sense of your first, second, and third preferences.
jcamis likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:44 pm

Is ICN-ADD-SEZ, followed by SEZ-ADD-IST possible with the backtracking rules?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:26 pm

Not sure if this was asked already (looked several pages back and didn't see this):

Can I book a dummy RT award booking from US (any airport) - NRT/HND and then later change it to a RTW itinerary once I find other available flights? Seems like the US - Japan award flights are quite difficult to find, so I'm wondering if it's easier to book that first as dummy booking
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Remxed
Not sure if this was asked already (looked several pages back and didn't see this):

Can I book a dummy RT award booking from US (any airport) - NRT/HND and then later change it to a RTW itinerary once I find other available flights? Seems like the US - Japan award flights are quite difficult to find, so I'm wondering if it's easier to book that first as dummy booking
Sorry I don't think it will work in a way you could count on. There is no way to "transfer" it to a RTW ticket.

Of course when you cancel the RT award there is always a chance it will go back into inventory and be available but all those systems are dynamic so they will also be looking at current date, seats sold, etc.

You need to make sure you have enough points as it could take some time to get points credited back from the cancelled RT ticket as well.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:02 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
First RTW ticketed a few days ago!!

I ended up booking the following:

JFK-BUD
BUD-WAW
WAW-IST
IST-WAW
WAW-VIE
VIE-BKK
BKK-TPE
TPE-ORD

All in J of course for 125,000NH mi + $550 in fees per person.

How'd I do?
bizum, zeer0 and john c wisconsin like this.

Last edited by Fly2Connect; Aug 19, 2022 at 7:15 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by doc4science
JFK-BUD LO
BUD-WAW LO
WAW-IST LO
IST-WAW LO
WAW-VIE OS
VIE-BKK BR
BKK-TPE BR
TPE-ORD BR
Very nice and good to see EVA air flights show back up. That fuel/taxes fee is very respectable for that many miles. I was through IST new airport a few months back and wow I would go through there and use as a hub any time. Have a great trip.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:20 pm

Finally got around and booked a RTW. Not as ambitious as I would have liked with a fewer amount of stops:

SEA-ICN OZ
ICN-ADD-SEZ ET
SEZ-ADD-IST ET
IST-BRU TK
BRU-JFK SN

All in J: 125k + $1,023.49 /pp. Yup, the fees were high on this one but was willing to go through with it.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by phasher99
SEA-ICN OZ
ICN-ADD-SEZ ET
SEZ-ADD-IST ET
IST-BRU TK
BRU-JFK SN
SEZ very nice! I hope you get some good time in some of these stops.

I especially like the SEA departure and JFK arrival. I assume that saved you one level of points in cost.

Although the seats are odd if you are a single I have now experienced Turkish airways and IST new airport and would fly with them and through there any time.

Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.