Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I see. So in general, is it accurate to say that if I can't find the space on the NH search tool, I won't be able to get a phone agent to piece it into my RTW, even if I see space available to other partners?
Hmm. I was going to say “yes” but I checked with someone who booked something recently and it seems like nope - the website availability doesn’t ALWAYS match what they see. You need to be careful with married segments and so on, but it looks like if you can find it, they may be able to book it - unless they have a manual Post-It note saying “do not book SQ space”.

So apologies; I may not be right here so I’ll go back to my corner. You’d have to call and test unless someone can post an experience.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Hmm. I was going to say “yes” but I checked with someone who booked something recently and it seems like nope - the website availability doesn’t ALWAYS match what they see. You need to be careful with married segments and so on, but it looks like if you can find it, they may be able to book it - unless they have a manual Post-It note saying “do not book SQ space”.

So apologies; I may not be right here so I’ll go back to my corner. You’d have to call and test unless someone can post an experience.
Well at least in this case, they're unable to pull the SQ J seats I was looking at (DEL-SIN and SIN-JFK). I called to confirm.
Pseudo Nim likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:39 am

My experience is SQ doesn't even release all economy seats to partners. For example, SIN to PVG has many dates blacked out Y class, even on NH website it's bookable but I can't book them in RTW.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:41 am

If I want to modify a segment after ticketing RTW, will NH cancel the whole itinerary and start over again (releasing all seats and rebook) or just modify the segment involved?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by freedom2020
If I want to modify a segment after ticketing RTW, will NH cancel the whole itinerary and start over again (releasing all seats and rebook) or just modify the segment involved?
Changes you can do.
- Date change on same flight (as long as trip does not go under 10 days in length
- Class change. if a J seat becomes available and you had originally booked in economy
- Flight change if it is the exact same route and carrier (metal) for the segment

Other changes like the route of one segment requires cancelling the ticket and risking the cancelled award seats not showing when you go to rebook.

One thing I have never tried but wonder about is just cancelling one segment all together. That "MAY" work without reticketing the entire RTW as long as you still start and finish in the same country

Hope that helps....
im-headed-west likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
Changes you can do.
- Date change on same flight (as long as trip does not go under 10 days in length
- Class change. if a J seat becomes available and you had originally booked in economy
- Flight change if it is the exact same route and carrier (metal) for the segment

Other changes like the route of one segment requires cancelling the ticket and risking the cancelled award seats not showing when you go to rebook.

One thing I have never tried but wonder about is just cancelling one segment all together. That "MAY" work without reticketing the entire RTW as long as you still start and finish in the same country

Hope that helps....
Thank you! What's the difference between canceling and modifying one segment? For example, now I can't find any flight whatsoever from PVG to TPE, can I just leave it blank (my own transportation) and add it later by paying 3000 miles?

On the other hand, what's the rule of redepositing seats after the cancellation? Depending on the airlines?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by freedom2020
Thank you! What's the difference between canceling and modifying one segment? For example, now I can't find any flight whatsoever from PVG to TPE, can I just leave it blank (my own transportation) and add it later by paying 3000 miles?

On the other hand, what's the rule of redepositing seats after the cancellation? Depending on the airlines?
No first hand experience but if you were to miss a segment I think you are risking the following flights. With traditional RT tickets that have stops, if you miss a stop your ticket is bye bye when you go to check in for the return. Again perhaps you can sweettalk a ticket desk with ANA but not sure what flexibility they have. Trying to redeposit seats to an ARW would require reticketing according to descriptions. Good luck
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:24 am

No first hand experience but if you were to miss a segment I think you are risking the following flights. With traditional RT tickets that have stops, if you miss a stop your ticket is bye bye when you go to check in for the return. Again perhaps you can sweettalk a ticket desk with ANA but not sure what flexibility they have. Trying to redeposit seats to an ARW would require reticketing according to descriptions. Good luck
Not missing a segment. Since there is no available flight now, I plan to buy my own cash ticket from PVG-TPE. However I suspect BR doesn't release award seats for that period due to peak season around lunar new year. So if later on other partners release award tickets, can I add it to my RTW itinerary for 3000 miles + fees? It might still be cheaper than cash ticket.

P.S. the agent confirmed it's not possible.

Last edited by freedom2020; Feb 14, 2023 at 1:27 pm
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:56 pm

Does US->India on AI count as crossing the Pacific to Asia? Could something like SFO-DEL-IST-AMS-JFK or whatever count as a true RTW?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Does US->India on AI count as crossing the Pacific to Asia? Could something like SFO-DEL-IST-AMS-JFK or whatever count as a true RTW?
Yes you should be fine. Here is a page that only calls out crossing ocean and direction not specific to zones. ANA site
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat
You are not able to do this. When one of my flight segments changed to create a 11hr layover, I wanted to cancel that segment and book a better schedule with another airline, but they wouldn't allow it.
john c wisconsin likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:32 pm

I booked another RTW. For the first time ever I was booking at 11 months out or more. Very challenging at times and surcharges have changed some. Here are the details and some of the new things I found out. My wife and daughter had a little more flexibility on dates so on first and last flights I was able to find seats by having them fly on separate dates.

3 seats in J unless noted
ORD - LHR United (2 seats with 2 separate purchased tickets LHR-AGP)
ORD - VIE Austrian (one seat)
VIE - AGP Austrian (one seat)
AGP - IST Turkish
IST - MNL Turkish
MNL - TPE EVA airlines (1 in J and 2 in economy)
TPE - LAX EVA airlines (two seats on one day and one seat on another)
(3 purchased tickets to get back home form Los Angeles)

My ticket was 21,080 miles for cost of 125,000 ANA miles and $835 taxes and fuel surcharges
other two tickets were each 18,970 miles for cost of 115,000 ANA miles and $848 taxes and fuel surcharges

Things of note:
- Very challenging booking as several times I lost better flights between finding them and getting to booking.
- I would call it a fail on getting low FSC but still great value for all the J class flights.
- It took me four calls over three days with agents. Every time the wait was long, about 1:20 to get to an agent
- There are at some agents that do not need the help of the "booking desk" and can run the flights themselves to get you tax and FSC. I thought perhaps this had to do with Los Angeles vs Japan office but now I think it is just some agents have higher experience and access than others.
- When I finally booked, agent confirmed CC on file and sent it to booking desk. This time booking desk did NOT have to call me back they just ticked it about 2 hours after the call and I received emails confirming
- There are some major changes going on with UNITED and fuel surcharges. This use to be a staple way to get from USA to Europe with no FSC. The charges were not only higher but seem to be based on some other factor like distance or scarcity? ORD-BRU on United was about $500 per ticket and ORD-LHR was $305. Sad that United has started charging. I think that leaves Air Canada and SAS as last of the "no FSC" eastbound from USA.
- It looks like Turkish long haul has gone from $133 in FSC to about $150 per leg
- Although my last agent was not able to book ticket herself she did send email with "held" reservation details while we were talking which I had not been offered in the past. This allowed me to confirm we had dates and flights correct before I got off the phone with her.
- In general I would say it was tough to find space 11+ months out. Some of it was due to airlines releasing space at different "days out" timeframes.
- I had a very frustrating leg with Turkish that showed seats available and agents could see them but system would not let them add it to the ticket. I had an alternate route but on my last call she could add it no problem for all 3 of us.
- EVA puts a lot of seats out there but never more than 2 in J at a time
- Singapore and ANA still very few seats open 11 months out.
- It was satisfying that choosing seats online after being ticketed we were the first reserved seats on every flight.
- It would be nice if ANA added the "we will call you back" feature like Delta has. If they are not able to staff back up their desks after Covid this becomes a welcomed feature to customers

I have inserted receipts below so you can see all the taxes. I think this is a new format for ANA. It does not call out FSC by airline but on this ticket I can deduce which is which.

Single Ticket...

Two tickets...
Thank you for sharing. Wonder how do you know these 2 big charges are from Turkish and Austrian? I kept asking ANA agents for the breakdown but never got any. Meanwhile I noticed if I call during US hours, I can get taxes and fees calculated in a few minutes but agents in Japan will always refuse.

In my case, I have some ridiculous fees and still can't believe it. I added a leg from CAI to LXR, and the fees jumped by $400! ITX show about $50. On the other hand, The route SFO-IST-CAI vs SFO-YYZ-CAI also differs by $400+. From ITX I can see at most $100 difference. Yet no one gives me any answer.

P.S.

I added all YQ YR together for the SFO YYZ CAI route, the result is almost perfect. Yet the the SFO-IST-CAI route only adds $129 according to my calculation. The agent told me it's a $470 increase. I almost believe they used wrong exchange rate but no proof.

Last edited by freedom2020; Feb 18, 2023 at 11:02 pm Reason: additional info
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:49 pm

Can you book any non-star alliance partners for the RTW ticket like EY or PR?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Not sure where else to post this but is the ANA rewards booking site down? Or I'm just not sure how to do it.

Is the below button the right one to click to find availability? When I click it, it opens a new tab and spins forever without loading.

Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
Not sure where else to post this but is the ANA rewards booking site down? Or I'm just not sure how to do it.
Is the below button the right one to click to find availability? When I click it, it opens a new tab and spins forever without loading.
Every day in America from some time 11am - 1pm (depending on season) the search part of the website goes down as they are doing their daily overnight maintenance in Japan. I have found this usually lasts about an hour. As of 1:52 pm central they seem to be up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.