Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Hopefully someone gets demoted for this ANA ad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hopefully someone gets demoted for this ANA ad

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
was there as much backlash with the virgin atlantic commercial from a few months ago. the one with the white male pilot leading the black male flight attendant (?) and asian flight attendant?

that commercial played for months and I don't recall any backlash at all. and IMO that commercial is far worse for how much more subliminal it is than the ANA commercial.
Are you referring to this commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptXNmxtE88
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
A big part of Japanese TV entertainment involves stereotypes. Many times when they are on location at another country they would use stereotypes to describe local population, such is they assume all British don't rinse off soap when washing dishes, or all Italians throw garbage from balconies, and so on. Apparently this kind of stuff increases rating on their TV programs, so I guess ANA went with same model, completely forgetting that they may have to fly some foreigners around.
Bad move, even though some Japanese think that us, foreigners are paranoid.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
was there as much backlash with the virgin atlantic commercial from a few months ago. the one with the white male pilot leading the black male flight attendant (?) and asian flight attendant?

that commercial played for months and I don't recall any backlash at all. and IMO that commercial is far worse for how much more subliminal it is than the ANA commercial.
Agreed.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Meh. Good try, I guess.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Japanese humour...

Ranging from funny to out-rightly dumb and odd.
This ad is more towards the latter.

Originally Posted by aces_high
A big part of Japanese TV entertainment involves stereotypes. Many times when they are on location at another country they would use stereotypes to describe local population, such is they assume all British don't rinse off soap when washing dishes, or all Italians throw garbage from balconies, and so on. Apparently this kind of stuff increases rating on their TV programs, so I guess ANA went with same model, completely forgetting that they may have to fly some foreigners around.
Bad move, even though some Japanese think that us, foreigners are paranoid.
Such things are staple in Japanese entertainment - stereotypical and sometimes very crude.

Last edited by LuisHK; Jan 20, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:05 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by IADDCA
I didn't get it but it appeared that the Japanese people were just trying to make fun of themselves (and their dark hair and their flat Japanese noses?)

In that sense, it doesn't seem any more offensive than portraying Californians themselves as air-headed blondes or Bears fans portraying themselves as overweight sausage eaters.

Seems like an inside joke that was meant for a Japanese audience. If they aren't offended, why should we be? (PS, my boss has a nose like that)
+1 ^

I can't see any offense in this ad, it's rather funny to see a blond japanese with a big pink nose !
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
Are you referring to this commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptXNmxtE88
yup that would be the one. the white males become the pilot and the engineer and the minorities and women become the flight attendants, serving the white male customers.

some will say that this is just a coincidence in casting. that is one hell of a coincidence. plus, when they cast for commercials, the breakdowns for parts are pretty specific, especially for race and gender.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:03 pm

I've seen enough [um… Japanese media?] to know where this is going.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, AA, US
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
The noses of both Japanese actors (before the one is made over) are smaller than my own Caucasian nose. I find the ad neither offensive nor amusing, if I'd seen it on TV or in a cinema I doubt that I'd even remember it for more than a moment after it had been shown.

Is this the best that advertising agencies can come up with? Dull.
in Japanese culture it was probably funny... not sure why white people were offended, but then again I'm not a European living in Japan
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
No Big Deal!

If you are offended by this, then you are looking for ANY reason to be offended.

If you want to see real racism on TV, try watching Mexican/SA TV sometime.
Stereotypes are common components of their skits and jokes on the comedy/variety shows.

I used to watch, Noche de Perros, regularly and they were famous for stereotype comedy.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 21, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by BarefootBandit
I thought it was kinda funny.

Harden up folks. If that's all it takes to hurt your feelings, you have bigger issues than that advert...

Z...
+1

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Westerners do this in their movies and tv shows all the time about other ethnicity. Suddenly the tables turned and they cant handle it. Lol
+1

Last edited by armagebedar; Jan 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm Reason: merged posts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:08 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by BalbC
I guess you've never met the hoards of whinging white english teachers in Japan. Taking offence seems to be a full time occupation with some of them.
If they are whinging at the offensive spelling of the hordes, that is understandable.

Last edited by ffI; Jan 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
If they are whinging at the offensive spelling of the hordes, that is understandable.
Oops. But then their own fault as they obviously haven;t taught me well enough
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.
I really don't think this is that big of a deal and only marginally funny. I think that our society has just become too sensitive.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by BalbC
I guess you've never met the hoards of whinging white english teachers in Japan. Taking offence seems to be a full time occupation with some of them.
Meh, expats. Line the buggers up and shoot them.

The number of Aussies I know who go to London and do nothing but hang around with other Aussies and whinge about the weather and the quality of the beer, then come home and write letters to the paper about why everything is better anywhere else but back home. "I've just returned from spending the last fifteen minutes living in London..." they start, then continue to educate the rest of us...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.