FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Hopefully someone gets demoted for this ANA ad (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1543037-hopefully-someone-gets-demoted-ana-ad.html)

joejones Jan 19, 2014 6:33 am

Hopefully someone gets demoted for this ANA ad

http://www.japanprobe.com/2014/01/19...tv-commercial/

Seriously, what were they thinking here? :td:

FireEmblemPride Jan 19, 2014 7:44 am

What the hell? :confused::mad:

terry1993 Jan 19, 2014 3:23 pm

LOL! I actually find this funny.

Zomba Jan 19, 2014 3:48 pm

I find it funny, as well. Certainly a high-risk ad, though.

zyxlsy Jan 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Well, I think people hate these because the people hating also have fears or doubts regarding these stereotypes.
I do find the ad very funny, as well as racial jokes like those done by Russell Peters or someone. It is not used for the intention of insulting people, and maybe we can all try to be amused by it.

CPH-Flyer Jan 19, 2014 6:28 pm

I find it weird, maybe even kind of stupid. Then again, I often don't find Japanese humour funny. As a Gaijin in Japan though, I can't really see that it is racist and be offended as some news stories would like to indicate.

boss315 Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm

While not PC and it is funny......we have made fun of them for years(look at the three stooges episdoes and popeye cartoons from years ago), so maybe a little payback?

go_around Jan 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm not offended by these types of jokes, but don't find this funny anyway.

Nonetheless I'm sure everyone would be delighted if BA started making ads with people pulling their eyes to the side for a new Japanese route. There would be an uproar.

bigshooter Jan 19, 2014 7:51 pm

I think it's awesome. I wish people would lighten up and laugh at things like this instead of instantly being concerned whether it was pc, racist, whatever...

rendezvous Jan 19, 2014 8:33 pm

I don't think the white community is ever really offended by racial humor directed at them.

BalbC Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 22184894)
I find it weird, maybe even kind of stupid. Then again, I often don't find Japanese humour funny. As a Gaijin in Japan though, I can't really see that it is racist and be offended as some news stories would like to indicate.

Agreed. Not offended here either, but think ANA has been rather daft in associating itself with this video.

For others unfamiliar with this, the straw yellow wig + strap on large nose is the standard physical depiction in Japan of a foreigner or a Japanese being like a foreigner. You see this fairly often on TV or in print. Although it's not usually meant in racist way nor directly mocking whitey, I find it incredible that ANA didn't think this through. They are supposed to be a global airline and really should be more internationally sensitive and realise that in many countries dressing up as an ethnic caricature is seen as racist.

Originally Posted by rendezvous (Post 22185487)
I don't think the white community is ever really offended by racial humor directed at them.

I guess you've never met the hoards of whinging white english teachers in Japan. Taking offence seems to be a full time occupation with some of them.

HMPS Jan 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 22185268)
I think it's awesome. I wish people would lighten up and laugh at things like this instead of instantly being concerned whether it was pc, racist, whatever...

Agree with you except the misuse of the word Awesome .

BadgerBoi Jan 19, 2014 9:31 pm

The noses of both Japanese actors (before the one is made over) are smaller than my own Caucasian nose. I find the ad neither offensive nor amusing, if I'd seen it on TV or in a cinema I doubt that I'd even remember it for more than a moment after it had been shown.

Is this the best that advertising agencies can come up with? Dull.

Kay_nyc Jan 19, 2014 9:39 pm

yeah, I just find it kind of stupid. I don't find it offensive, but I also don't get the point the point they trying to make about Europeans/people of European extractin.

guyinmotion Jan 19, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't think the ad offensive. Besides, the ad also insinuates that the Japanese are cold, emotionless creatures who are strangers to the notion of affection - when one gentleman asks to the other "want a hug?" So there are two stereotypes being made here: 1) bigger noses, 2) emotionless people.

The ad ends with the two gents off to the world with the task of changing the image of Japanese people. But you don't hear the Japanese public complaining about this Japanese stereotype.

On the other hand, I do find the commercial to be lacking a strategic and relevant value proposition outside the Japanese market, and poorly executed.