Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

How does ANA determine segment cost on award tickets and what about stopovers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I'm relatively new with ANA, but after some searching, I haven't been able to pin down an exact answer to these questions. I'm sure they are pretty basic for ANA veterans, so I appreciate the help.

1. Since ANA is a distance based award chart for partners, how do they determine the cost? Is the amount of miles determined by origin to destination point? Or, if there is a layover, must you pay for both segments, like with BA?

EX. If I fly JFK to IST with a layover in LHR, how is the mileage determined? JFK to IST? Or JFK-LHR as one amount, then LHR-IST as separate amount?

2. If they do charge strictly by segment, meaning you have to pay for a layover, why do they also mention that you can have 4 stopover on an award ticket? Since costs are determined by segment, doesn't this make the stopover rule void? You are paying for each segment anyway, so theoretically you could stop anywhere you wanted, for as long as you wanted.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
they charge the total miles of your actual routing.

So JFK - LHR - IST is (JFK to LHR) + (LHR to IST) and not (JFK to IST). You don't have to pay for segments, just total up your miles flown. A good way to estimate is with great circle mapper: www.gcmap.com

One of my better ANA Award values was:
CLT - PHL - MAN - BRU // Surface Travel // ZRH - MUC // Stopover // MUC - MAN - PHL - CLT for 68,000 ANA points in business class with no YQ.

Originally Posted by civico
I'm relatively new with ANA, but after some searching, I haven't been able to pin down an exact answer to these questions. I'm sure they are pretty basic for ANA veterans, so I appreciate the help.

1. Since ANA is a distance based award chart for partners, how do they determine the cost? Is the amount of miles determined by origin to destination point? Or, if there is a layover, must you pay for both segments, like with BA?

EX. If I fly JFK to IST with a layover in LHR, how is the mileage determined? JFK to IST? Or JFK-LHR as one amount, then LHR-IST as separate amount?

2. If they do charge strictly by segment, meaning you have to pay for a layover, why do they also mention that you can have 4 stopover on an award ticket? Since costs are determined by segment, doesn't this make the stopover rule void? You are paying for each segment anyway, so theoretically you could stop anywhere you wanted, for as long as you wanted.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beofotch
they charge the total miles of your actual routing.

So JFK - LHR - IST is (JFK to LHR) + (LHR to IST) and not (JFK to IST). You don't have to pay for segments, just total up your miles flown. A good way to estimate is with great circle mapper: www.gcmap.com

One of my better ANA Award values was:
CLT - PHL - MAN - BRU // Surface Travel // ZRH - MUC // Stopover // MUC - MAN - PHL - CLT for 68,000 ANA points in business class with no YQ.
Thanks so much, this explains it perfectly. One question I still have is about the itinerary you booked. I'm assuming that PHL and MAN were just layovers then, and not stopovers?

You had two stopovers (BRU and MUC) and the rest were just under 24 hour layovers?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:44 am

Thanks so much, this explains it perfectly. One question I still have is about the itinerary you booked. I'm assuming that PHL and MAN were just layovers then, and not stopovers?

You had two stopovers (BRU and MUC) and the rest were just under 24 hour layovers?

Thanks again!
Yes PHL and MAN were just for connecing (must be less than 24 hours). ANA gives you up to 4 stopovers (greater than 24 hours), but only 2 in Europe.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beofotch
Yes PHL and MAN were just for connecing (must be less than 24 hours). ANA gives you up to 4 stopovers (greater than 24 hours), but only 2 in Europe.
Ah, forgot about the rule of only 2 stopovers in a region. Thanks again for making it all clear.

ANA's a great transfer option for Amex if you can find most of your flights, or at least the big ones, on United and USAirways and not get crushed with a fuel surcharge!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
So, I priced out FRA-CUN-LAX-HNL-NRT-LHR at about 19k miles. Does that mean I would just need 120k ANA miles to do this in business?

Seems like a bargain to me. How easy or difficult is it to find flights with no or low YQ?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Enigma368
So, I priced out FRA-CUN-LAX-HNL-NRT-LHR at about 19k miles. Does that mean I would just need 120k ANA miles to do this in business?

Seems like a bargain to me. How easy or difficult is it to find flights with no or low YQ?
Seems like that's right, according to my understanding.

Finding a low YQ might be difficult though. You'll pay a fuel surcharge for the following airlines:

Adria, Air Canada, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish, Lufthansa, TAP Portugal, and THAI

So if you can a majority of your flights NOT with those airlines, you should be fine, but FRA to CUN may be difficult not on Lufthansa and LAX to NRT might be hard without ANA.

Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat

I don't think they allow one way awards, which is why the stopover language is in there. You couldn't book them all individually.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I don't think they allow one way awards, which is why the stopover language is in there. You couldn't book them all individually.
But they allow a RTW? Surely a RTW is a one way?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:13 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Enigma368
But they allow a RTW? Surely a RTW is a one way?
A RTW is treated as a RTW and different rules apply.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs down YQ on UA flights is vey high

Lower YQ on UA flights is no longer the case. I'm planning on using ANA points to fly MCI-ORD-ICN-BKI in business class next year. I called ANA and asked about the YQ on flying TPAC segment on Asiana and TPAC on UA. I was given a total YQ of $580 per ticket for either routing.

Speaking of YQ, is there any way to determine what it is on ANA web site or do I have to call and have them price it out?

Last edited by susiesan; Apr 4, 2013 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 am

Just as a gut check - would the crew agree this should be a valid, bookable ANA Award:

CUR - PTY (Stopover)
PTY - MIA - CLT (Stopover)
CLT - BNA (Stopover)
BNA - CLT - CAE (Begin Open Jaw)
BOG - CUR (End Open Jaw, finish)

This comes out to 3,998 miles, so 22,000 ANA points per ticket. Would this be valid if the availability was there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.