FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does ANA determine segment cost on award tickets and what about stopovers?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:08 pm
beofotch

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
they charge the total miles of your actual routing.

So JFK - LHR - IST is (JFK to LHR) + (LHR to IST) and not (JFK to IST). You don't have to pay for segments, just total up your miles flown. A good way to estimate is with great circle mapper: www.gcmap.com

One of my better ANA Award values was:
CLT - PHL - MAN - BRU // Surface Travel // ZRH - MUC // Stopover // MUC - MAN - PHL - CLT for 68,000 ANA points in business class with no YQ.

Originally Posted by civico
I'm relatively new with ANA, but after some searching, I haven't been able to pin down an exact answer to these questions. I'm sure they are pretty basic for ANA veterans, so I appreciate the help.

1. Since ANA is a distance based award chart for partners, how do they determine the cost? Is the amount of miles determined by origin to destination point? Or, if there is a layover, must you pay for both segments, like with BA?

EX. If I fly JFK to IST with a layover in LHR, how is the mileage determined? JFK to IST? Or JFK-LHR as one amount, then LHR-IST as separate amount?

2. If they do charge strictly by segment, meaning you have to pay for a layover, why do they also mention that you can have 4 stopover on an award ticket? Since costs are determined by segment, doesn't this make the stopover rule void? You are paying for each segment anyway, so theoretically you could stop anywhere you wanted, for as long as you wanted.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.