Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
ANA website seat maps
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_common/departure/inflight/seatmap/
2-2-2 or 2-3-2 staggered all isle seats. Photos can be seen below.

FAQ about ANA "BUSINESS STAGGERED"
1. What planes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777-300ER(77W) and 787-900 (789), as well as one type of the B787-8(169 seats variation).
ANA website links on business staggered class is here (77W), (789) and B787-8(169 seats variation).

2. What is the best seat for a solo passenger?
Any of the window seats, odd number rows on the left (1A,3A,5A..), even number rows on the right (2K,4K,6K...)

3. What is the best seat for a couple?
No consensus.

4. I see 1A blocked on the 789 or 787. Is it occupied?
It will be released to all at online check-in (t-24) if not occupied.

5. What routes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777W routes =NRT-JFK,LAX,SFO,ORD,IAD,IAH, & HND-JFK,LAX,ORD,CDG,FRA,LHR
ALL 789 routes (215 seats variation) = HND-SYD,SIN,BKK,HAN,SJC,SEA,YVR,CDG,MUC,DUS,
B787-8(169 seats variation). = NRT-MEX,BRU,DEL,BOM

6. What's up with all this chatter about hot cabins?
The cabin temperature seems to be maintained very warm relative to most westerners' preferences, but it seems to be the preferred temperature for Japanese passengers.
You will survive.

PHOTOS

Post 461 - Seat 3A on the B789 - August 2018 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

5 photos below from Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
From 2 flights on the same trip - May 2017 - posted by 24left

Print Wikipost

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by commaspace
On 77W Business Staggered (old config), toilet is right at the back of 6C. Anyone has experience re: noise/smell? Is the toilet at least curtained off?
I sat in 6C once. The lav was not curtained off. Faint noise could be heard sometimes, but nowhere near the point of being disruptive for me. Never had an issue with smell.
commaspace likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I have just booked a flight on a 787-10 , I assume this is a rather new frame, does it have the new J seats ?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I have just booked a flight on a 787-10 , I assume this is a rather new frame, does it have the new J seats ?
Business staggered. The Room does fit in to the 787 cabin width.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 7:55 am

A bit OT, but looking at the new video of AA's redesign J cabin for their 787s (see 2 min 8 sec into this video), I could imagine NH doing a version that modifies the finishes to resemble The Room:

It's even possible that such a version would be more comfortable than The Room in terms of bed length. An analogy is what QR has done with its 787s, since Q-Suite does not fit; they used a reverse herringbone design much like what AA is showing here. Essentially a version of the Room that is herringbone, is possible IMO and it would provide doors, more privacy, allow for bigger screens and be a worthy successor to Staggered J.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:36 am
pjs

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Flew it from SGN-HND last week. Based on the pictures and videos I've seen of the 787-9 staggered cabin, it looked like it had newer finishes and slightly different colors, but was basically the same. I found it pretty comfortable in a true window seat although it's a tight squeeze to get to the aisle.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond

Thanks for the bad news !!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
A bit OT, but looking at the new video of AA's redesign J cabin for their 787s (see 2 min 8 sec into this video), I could imagine NH doing a version that modifies the finishes to resemble The Room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfjdEdPwefY&t=128s

It's even possible that such a version would be more comfortable than The Room in terms of bed length. An analogy is what QR has done with its 787s, since Q-Suite does not fit; they used a reverse herringbone design much like what AA is showing here. Essentially a version of the Room that is herringbone, is possible IMO and it would provide doors, more privacy, allow for bigger screens and be a worthy successor to Staggered J.
I have flown the 787-9 of Qatar Airways, and while they like to hype the product, it is a far from the level of the Q Suites. It is better than the business staggered, but not a great reverse herringbone seat.
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:02 am

I have flown the 787-9 of Qatar Airways, and while they like to hype the product, it is a far from the level of the Q Suites. It is better than the business staggered, but not a great reverse herringbone seat.
Q-Suite is hard to top. It'll be interesting to see what QR does for version 2.0 later this year. Having flowing both, I think Q-Suite and The Room are at the top of the J class offerings today, but Q-Suite has somewhat better storage (the side cubby and the recessed ledge that can fit a small tablet or laptop). There is also no need to sleep at an angle like The Room has. But The Room is much wider, has a better TV screen (although Q-Suite's screen is still pretty good).

Probably no herringbone layout, reverse or otherwise, can touch Q-Suite or The Room in terms of their unique sense of space. The one exception might be the extra large bulkhead herringbone seats that sometimes are present (e.g., AF new J seat in their 777s).
Old Apr 21, 2024, 8:54 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Need advice on the best (quiet) window seat on the 789 and 788...

For the 789 type 2, I have chosen 6K. Only other open seats are 8K and 10K. All window A seats are 'occupied'. How is the window situation on this seat? Aerolopa shows that this may be missing a window? Is 8K a better choice? This is the last seat on the front business cabin. I imagine 10K being near the wing, then it is much noisier there?

For the 788 type 2, I have chosen 1K. Other window options are 5/7/9K, and 7/9A. Does 1K have more space? Is this a quiet seat, given it is near the galley? Seat 5 is the last row and again near the galley. Seats 7 and 9 are in the second cabin, right by the wing.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hikouki
Need advice on the best (quiet) window seat on the 789 and 788...

For the 789 type 2, I have chosen 6K. Only other open seats are 8K and 10K. All window A seats are 'occupied'. How is the window situation on this seat? Aerolopa shows that this may be missing a window? Is 8K a better choice? This is the last seat on the front business cabin. I imagine 10K being near the wing, then it is much noisier there?

For the 788 type 2, I have chosen 1K. Other window options are 5/7/9K, and 7/9A. Does 1K have more space? Is this a quiet seat, given it is near the galley? Seat 5 is the last row and again near the galley. Seats 7 and 9 are in the second cabin, right by the wing.
​​​​​​The missing window in row 6 is due to the assembly of the sections of the aircraft, so that is definitely not going to be there. It will be of limited impact, as it is mainly where your IFE monitor is, there are windows where you will be sitting.

My simple logic is the further forward the better. And no galley noise is not going to be a major topic, if course during meal services it is not fully quiet, but it is not like the US3 where all flight attendants will congregate in the galleys and talk super loudly.
hikouki likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 22, 2024 at 6:14 am
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:13 am
THR

So I ended up booking 8E and 8G as I see in that row the privacy divider is retractable. This is 789, both daytime flights SYD-HND and return (NH990/NH889).

Hopefully there isn’t anything terrible about these said? Other middle pairs are available but the divider is immovable. There are very few true window seats available and non immediately next to each other.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:08 am

Just wanted to chime in that the 788 has the "throne seat" in the middle rows (i.e., not by the windows). I had the pleasure of flying with such a seat on SIN-HND a while back, very nice!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
Just wanted to chime in that the 788 has the "throne seat" in the middle rows (i.e., not by the windows). I had the pleasure of flying with such a seat on SIN-HND a while back, very nice!
I'm looking at the arrangement on Aerolopa, does the throne actually give you two full sized tables on both sides of the seat like in the diagram?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:23 pm
THR

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
I'm looking at the arrangement on Aerolopa, does the throne actually give you two full sized tables on both sides of the seat like in the diagram?
Yes. Plenty of images if you Google search for ANA 788 throne. An article with images here: https://princeoftravel.com/reviews/a...s-perth-tokyo/
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Be aware ANA may "upgrade" your 788 to 789, which does not have a throne seat, at which point most of the window seats may be already taken. Happened to me on HND-SIN a few months after booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.