Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Skyteam partner Alitalia files for bankrupcy

Skyteam partner Alitalia files for bankrupcy

Reply

Old Aug 29, 08, 1:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 1,261
Skyteam partner Alitalia files for bankrupcy

Not specific to Delta but is pertinent to Skyteam

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7588475.stm
DMIrishFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:23 pm
  #2  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Between BLi & SEA.
Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer View Post
Not specific to Delta but is pertinent to Skyteam

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7588475.stm
Let's hope it's a chapter 7 liquidation.........

seriously, they have been fussing with this for almost 3 years. It's way past time to have it resolved.
JPat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CVG/DAY
Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 386
Originally Posted by JPat View Post
Let's hope it's a chapter 7 liquidation.........

seriously, they have been fussing with this for almost 3 years. It's way past time to have it resolved.
AMEN!
patom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 998
MikeyZBT....worried about your LAX-FCO award ticket yet?
lls138 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:50 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BHM, MAN (blue not red)(city not united)
Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Posts: 1,014
Wonder who'll swoop in a buy them up?
stevenryals is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:58 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 24,409
Originally Posted by stevenryals View Post
Wonder who'll swoop in a buy them up?
Maybe Ryanair?
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 3:09 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 27,584
Originally Posted by stevenryals View Post
Wonder who'll swoop in a buy them up?
This is the reality (cited by AP) that assures no bidders will be stampeding in with large cash offers:

In a statement Friday, the nine unions representing Alitalia workers said they wanted a say on the entire plan, not just on the labor aspects.
3Cforme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 3:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Posts: 5,049
Originally Posted by lls138 View Post
MikeyZBT....worried about your LAX-FCO award ticket yet?
Um, YES! Jeeez. I hate all these other people that are hoping for liquidation. How bout the rest of us that have ticket on Alitalia for next year?

(June of 09 for me...)

Hopefully, it's a reorganization.
MikeyZBT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 3:55 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 1,261
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
Um, YES! Jeeez. I hate all these other people that are hoping for liquidation. How bout the rest of us that have ticket on Alitalia for next year?

(June of 09 for me...)

Hopefully, it's a reorganization.
Apparently the plan is to split the airline in half and sell one half to another airline - which half will your ticket end up on
DMIrishFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 5:39 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ATL/MOO (Many Others Often)
Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
Posts: 2,445
Somewhere on FT I read that this company was started in 1946 and has had one year of profitability since then. It's been bailed out by the government at every needed point from then till now.

Why do we think this time will be any different?

Hi ho Silvio to the rescue...
woody125 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 6:35 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Posts: 7,844
> Hi ho Silvio to the rescue...

Can't do it this time. EC regulations...

With this new plan, AZ and AP are merged in a new company sold for a symbolic amount to an ad-hoc consortium of a few friendly businessmen.

Maintenance and all the support side is spun off somehow and the leftovers ("flying AZ") sold to either AF or LH as a short/medium-range airline.
In the AF hypotesis, FCO keeps a few long-range flights (US, Asia ?) If LH buys it will be MXP.

The plan reminds a lot of the previous one a few months ago: sell to AF and let them take care of cuts, downsizing, etc.
In this case though the consortium participants can make some money, courtesy of the government.

Last edited by thesaints; Aug 29, 08 at 6:48 pm
thesaints is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 08, 6:49 pm
  #12  
VIB
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
> Hi ho Silvio to the rescue...

Can't do it this time. EC regulations...

It seems to me that Silvio Berlusconi has pretty much ignored the EU or thumbed his nose at them throughout this whole deal.
VIB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 08, 12:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Posts: 5,049
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer View Post
Apparently the plan is to split the airline in half and sell one half to another airline - which half will your ticket end up on
Well, if it is AF:

(1) it's still skyteam which is good
(2) they "might" keep the LAX-FCO

But, if it is Luftansa

(1) no skyteam, so can't use them
(2) I guess DL would work with me on getting to FCO some other way (hopefully one stop at the max?)

Does that seem logical?
MikeyZBT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 08, 5:40 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Programs: DL DM/2MM MR Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold,
Posts: 8,412
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
Well, if it is AF:

(1) it's still skyteam which is good
(2) they "might" keep the LAX-FCO

But, if it is Luftansa

(1) no skyteam, so can't use them
(2) I guess DL would work with me on getting to FCO some other way (hopefully one stop at the max?)

Does that seem logical?
Well, if you ask me, the fact that you have a ticket means that the new entity, regardless of which alliance it is in, will honor that ticket. If DL miles were used to buy this ticket, then DL must have given something to AZ for that ticket, even if it is bartered. SO AZ did receive value for issuing that ticket.

The whole situation is still very much up in the air though. And the unions never seem to miss an opportunity to commit murder-suicide!
The deal that they were to have gotten from AF/KL last Spring was better than much of what the government now proposes.
RobertS975 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 08, 8:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southwest CT
Programs: DL Plat and Million Miler, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hertz Gold 5 Star
Posts: 7,617
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
This is the reality (cited by AP) that assures no bidders will be stampeding in with large cash offers:

In a statement Friday, the nine unions representing Alitalia workers said they wanted a say on the entire plan, not just on the labor aspects.
As much as I am not a big fan of unions, the Alitalia workers may have a better idea of how to run the airline than the current managerial staff.
tonypct is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: