Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam partner Alitalia files for bankrupcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Alitalia death watch...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...lia-woes_N.htm
"....Alitalia has hung out a 'For Sale' sign — again. The bankrupt airline published a notice in four newspapers on (today) soliciting offers to buy any or all the company's assets. The move comes after a group of Italian investors made official on Monday its decision to withdraw an offer to take over the profitable assets of Alitalia. It was the third failed attempt to sell off the long-troubled airline in less than two years as two successive governments have moved to keep a four-year-old pledge to the EU to privatize the flagship carrier."

Barring a surprise bid or unexpected bailout, Alitalia's days may be numbered. "I would say that we have until the end of the week," Augusto Fantozzi, the airline’s bankruptcy administrator, is quoted as saying Monday. "Probably we will have time until next Tuesday, which means in effect that, as of today, Sept. 30th is the last day possible" of operation. Fantozzi added that "there are no prospects for a rescue in a reasonable time....."
I can't help but wonder if holders of MilleMiglia miles are burning them on SkyTeam partners... or at least trying. Wouldn't it serve zero benefit to Delta to honor Alitalia's miles knowing they won't be around to reciprocate?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Am I the only person who thinks that putting a for sale ad in the paper for an AIRLINE is probably not really an effective technique?
Just seems bizarre and ALL of the "potential" buyers are pretty much aware of the mess. I mean it's not like Luftansa woke up this morning and suddenly discovered Alitilia was in trouble and on the market?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
I would just love some resolution here either with the airline going under or being saved, so I can move on.

I have 2 tickets (my wife and I) for June 2009 on AZ on the non-stop, Biz class ticket (using DL Miles) LAX-FCO. I want to know if this flight will even exist then... All this drawn out political crap is so annoying.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Am I the only person who thinks that putting a for sale ad in the paper for an AIRLINE is probably not really an effective technique?
Just seems bizarre and ALL of the "potential" buyers are pretty much aware of the mess. I mean it's not like Luftansa woke up this morning and suddenly discovered Alitilia was in trouble and on the market?
I agree. I think that advert was meant to scare the bejeebus out of the striking workers and union leaders threatening to strike. However, it didn't stop Olympic Airlines employees from picketing on the runway.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Evan!
I think that advert was meant to scare the bejeebus out of the striking workers and union leaders threatening to strike.
If that's the point, there is no point - when you can't even sell the "profitable" part of your unprofitable enterprise, that's the end.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I would just love some resolution here either with the airline going under or being saved, so I can move on.

I have 2 tickets (my wife and I) for June 2009 on AZ on the non-stop, Biz class ticket (using DL Miles) LAX-FCO. I want to know if this flight will even exist then... All this drawn out political crap is so annoying.
I agree . . .I was originally on AZ next week. I got more and more nervous as this deathwatch has been going on since I booked my award tickets last Nov, and forked over the change fees for a flight that opened up on AF. I know they say that DL will reaccommodate, but I'd likely be going crazy this week had I not rebooked as I doubt DL will do anything til planes are grounded.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:51 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

can you redeposit your miles?

if so its not worth the chance or aggravation IMHO
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
can you redeposit your miles? ...
Yes... for a fee.... unless one is Platinum... which is free.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:00 am

If service is discontinued or AZ is not able to provide de service, no redeposit fee will apply regardless of status.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:34 am

Lifeline?????

From here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...ednesday_N.htm

excerpt:
Representatives of Italian investors who withdrew an offer for Alitalia met Wednesday with Premier Silvio Berlusconi's closest aide, an indication they might still be interested in the bankrupt airline...
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:20 am

Repreive....

http://www.agi.it/business/news/2008...n0085-art.html

I knew they would push the date back. Now its Sept 30. I still think this is a ploy to get the unions to soften on signing a deal like the one they rejected last week.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by tonypct
As much as I am not a big fan of unions, the Alitalia workers may have a better idea of how to run the airline than the current managerial staff.
I doubt anyone associated with Alitalia has any idea how to run anything profitably.

Cheers
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by DlRes
If service is discontinued or AZ is not able to provide de service, no redeposit fee will apply regardless of status.
Thanks! That actually makes me feel a little bit better... and coming from an actual agent helps too! Thanks again!

So, now, I wait.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL GM
Private investors to the rescue

Alitalia saved by private investors....Now, how will this affect DL peeps and it's ST relationship????
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:23 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by lls138
Alitalia saved by private investors....Now, how will this affect DL peeps and it's ST relationship????
CAI (owners of Air One) are rumored to have picked AFKL as their foreign partner. If that turns out to be true then we can expect AZ to continue to be in skyteam and have a stronger partnership with DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.