Search

SkyTeam Elite Baggage Allowance on HBO Fare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
SkyTeam Elite Baggage Allowance on HBO Fare

Buon giorno,

Madame's birthday is in February and I'm thinking about surprising her with a 2-week road-trip in Sicily. Flights from Buenos Aires to Rome are already booked using Aerolíneas Argentinas miles, and now I'm studying options for the domestic sector between Rome and Palermo. For the sake of my question, we are both SkyTeam Elites -- I am a Flying Blue Gold (ST Elite Plus) and Madame is Aerolíneas Plus Oro (ST Elite).

Since we should be spending some 20 days in total outside of Buenos Aires we will be necessarily carrying one checked bag each. I see AZ has two different Economy fares, namely Economy Light and Economy Classic. On most dates I selected, Light is one third of the price of Classic, but with a problem -- it's a hand-baggage-only fare.

As SkyTeam Elites we are supposed to be allowed to check in one extra bag each on any ST flight, which means I could buy the Light fare and still check our 2 bags for free. This said, since this situation has been known to vary depending on the member airline, I would really appreciate if any of you could confirm if this is the case. Otherwise I guess I'll have to splurge into the Classic fare.

Cheers,
Marambio
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:35 am

Hi, Marambio.

I'm sure Madame will be chuffed to bits for the trip (and February in Sicily will be rather warm as opposed to many other places in the continent!) but I'm afraid you will only be able to check-in 1 bag when purchasing a Light fare, this also applies to Alitalia's own elite members as per below:

Members of the Freccia Alata Plus, Freccia Alata, Ulisse, Elite and Elite Plus Clubs will be entitled to:
  • One piece of hold baggage plus any sports equipment
  • Change their seat and/or choose an extra-comfort seat (only available to Freccia Alata Plus and Freccia Alata Members);
  • Check in at the airport, only in the lounge if permitted (only for Freccia Alata and Freccia Alata Plus) or at the SkyPriority priority desks (only for Ulisse, Freccia Alata Plus, Freccia Alata and Elite Plus).
G
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Hi, Marambio.

I'm sure Madame will be chuffed to bits for the trip (and February in Sicily will be rather warm as opposed to many other places in the continent!) but I'm afraid you will only be able to check-in 1 bag when purchasing a Light fare, this also applies to Alitalia's own elite members as per below:

G
Hi G, thanks for your (instant!) reply. I know February is not the ideal time of the year for Sicilia, but living upside down in the Southern Hemisphere, it's when we get our long summer holidays. We did Greece in winter last year and the weather was beautiful, so hopefully the Mediterranean will also help us this time

The way I understand the useful information you provided, we should be able to check-in one bag each, as I am a Skyteam Elite Plus and Madame is a Skyteam Elite. If that is the case, I guess the Light fare should be enough.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
I know February is not the ideal time of the year for Sicilia
Quite the opposite! I meant to say that the weather is pretty warm as opposed to other places in Europe and indeed Italy overall, yet not too warm (which would put me off, but each to their own ) hence perfect time to go if you ask me

Going back to the main question, yes you will be able to check-in a bag each.

Enjoy and let us know should you need any further assistance in relation to the above.

G
Marambio likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Quite the opposite! I meant to say that the weather is pretty warm as opposed to other places in Europe and indeed Italy overall, yet not too warm (which would put me off, but each to their own ) hence perfect time to go if you ask me

Going back to the main question, yes you will be able to check-in a bag each.

Enjoy and let us know should you need any further assistance in relation to the above.

G
That's perfect! I will probably post a tentative itinerary of our road-trip on the Italy forum in a few days time so as to confirm whether we are not missing anything.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Alitalia allows 1 free luggage 23 kg for Elite / plus Members

if you book on economy light you will be allowed 1 free luggage 23 kg

if you book on economy standard you will be allowed 2 luggage 23 kg each (1 on your ticket + 1 free)

enjoy Sicily in February, it’s fantastic during all year
Marambio likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Answering to myself:

Skyteam Elite Plus and Elites are allowed one free checked bag on AZ flights booked on Light fares. This morning Madame (ST Elite) and I (ST Elite Plus) checked-in at the FCO SkyPriority desks and the very nice agent tagged our two bags free of charge, Priority tags included.

Ciao from Sicily.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Marambio
a 2-week road-trip in Sicily.
2 weeks?

You realise Siciliy is rather small - right?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
2 weeks?

You realise Siciliy is rather small - right?
Absolutely not.
The road network is not the best and mainly there so much to see and to do (seaside, inland, cities, archeologic sites, food, isles..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.