Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to upgrade on Alitalia?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Any way to upgrade on Alitalia?

I have a friend flying from Los Angeles to Israel. I've never heard of this airline, but wanted to see if there was a way for him to upgrade his paid coach ticket. Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rwalia99
I have a friend flying from Los Angeles to Israel. I've never heard of this airline, but wanted to see if there was a way for him to upgrade his paid coach ticket. Thanks!
Hi there. Well, this airline is one of the top 10 in Europe in any size measurement, so it's not an unknown airline by any standard ;-)

Alitalia is a Skyteam airline, but does not allow upgrade with Skyteam miles except with Alitalia ones. So, probably, no way to upgrade for free.

Your friend can of course pay the difference between coach and business and upgrade himself by paying.

Another thing is, there is currently a promotion for upgrading to business on SELECT flights with 250 EUR, one-way. You can call the airline to check.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by raistlin
Hi there. Well, this airline is one of the top 10 in Europe in any size measurement, so it's not an unknown airline by any standard ;-)
Italy's largest, apart from anything else.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: DL FO
Another thing is, there is currently a promotion for upgrading to business on SELECT flights with 250 EUR, one-way. You can call the airline to check.
Do you have more info on that promotion: black out dates or destinations?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
Do you have more info on that promotion: black out dates or destinations?
It is reserved to travel agents so I don't know the specifics, I know my TA offered it to me and I gladly took it
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
LAX-FCO

I have a friend on a paid (through a TA) ticket in coach from LAX to FCO. She's looking to use AMEX MR points (which she can transfer to a newly-created MM account) to get the bump.

How many miles does Alitalia charge to ug from Y - J? Also, is there a monetary portion as well, or just miles?

THANKS!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by rwalia99
I've never heard of this airline, Thanks!
Lucky you! Anyway the only people world-wide, , that you will find, who will have anything nice to say about Alitalia at least in the English language, are right here. ---- so hear them!

Upgrading across alliance airlines is AFAiK easy only on Star alliance,,,almost impossible on the others...

On long haul non Airbus, Carrying your own duct tape sometimes works..
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ariyo15
I have a friend on a paid (through a TA) ticket in coach from LAX to FCO. She's looking to use AMEX MR points (which she can transfer to a newly-created MM account) to get the bump.

How many miles does Alitalia charge to ug from Y - J? Also, is there a monetary portion as well, or just miles?

THANKS!
The necessary information can be found at the following link on the website, after clicking on the "upgrading table" link:

http://www.alitalia.com/BE_EN/millem...ing/index.aspx

You will need 25k miles for a one-way upgrade to J on USA-EU, no money required.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Originally Posted by bungler

THANKS!
The necessary information can be found at the following link on the website, after clicking on the "upgrading table" link:

http://www.alitalia.com/BE_EN/millem...ing/index.aspx

You will need 25k miles for a one-way upgrade to J on USA-EU, no money required.
You need the ticket to be in class H-B-M-Y, otherwise upgrade is impossible. Also, there must be an available seat in I class (the lowest business class fare).

You'd better check both conditions before converting points.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

You need the ticket to be in class H-B-M-Y, otherwise upgrade is impossible. Also, there must be an available seat in I class (the lowest business class fare).

But, say everything were "in order," could I do it over the phone ahead of time or would I have to hope the seat is available at check in?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:04 am

But, say everything were "in order," could I do it over the phone ahead of time or would I have to hope the seat is available at check in?
You would better do it as soon as possible, because I seats fill up quickly

Then, if everything is in order, but there is no I availability, you can do it at the airport with any seat left, but only in a few airports where there is an AZ ticket counter.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by rathin100
Lucky you! Anyway the only people world-wide, , that you will find, who will have anything nice to say about Alitalia at least in the English language, are right here. ---- so hear them!
and normally are not italian!

Having said that, the new Biz class seats in the A330 look really nice.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by rathin100

Upgrading across alliance airlines is AFAiK easy only on Star alliance,,,almost impossible on the others...

On long haul non Airbus, Carrying your own duct tape sometimes works..
Always amusing ratin100

MIL - JFK at 1500€ on new A330 in J is great value and a great flight.. Try and and you will be forced to change your opinion on AZ!!!

In my view long haul AZ remains better than most skyteam carriers
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by saviox
and normally are not italian!

Having said that, the new Biz class seats in the A330 look really nice.
They are excellent.....roomy, comfortable and intelligently designed!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by terminalfive
Always amusing ratin100

MIL - JFK at 1500€ on new A330 in J is great value and a great flight.. Try and and you will be forced to change your opinion on AZ!!!

In my view long haul AZ remains better than most skyteam carriers
I already flew the A330 TATL A while back and I think reported on it here earlier.. As I say above, the hard product was excellent, but everything soft as bad as it ever was .. This time they did not delay my baggage on transit... I did not check in any, which may have helped

I avoid Skyteam but I think the AZ business class hard product on the A330 tops anything I have flown on European or American or Latin metal on any alliance except the new Finnair flatbed which is as good...not better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.