Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two pretty unrelated questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by MatthewG
Ah ha! That is why they have "QX Stairs" up to the jetway. I didn't think QX used those gates so that all makes sense now...

(When I say "QX Stairs", they use the exact same type of stairs that we use on QX to board/deboard via the rear door, just pushed up to the jetway)
But don't they say AS
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
As far as loading the 73Q... maybe they could have put that door on the right side of the A/C... but really a mute point as it would be inefficient to have a jetway like that...
Bah...I say, if you want to enjoy the luxuries of row 16, you should have to suffer a little bit!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ANC
I guess you wouldve been miffed then when I got the last of the blackened cod ORD to ANC on my hot deals fare and my upgrade certificate That brings up another ball of wax all together though. Why do they have 5 of one meal choice and 11 of the other one! At least 8/8 split would be more realistic!!! Some pax on that same flight wanted a burger(a dad wanted it for his 4 or 5 year oldson as they were 1A and 1C)...and they charged them $5 for it which IMO was also pathetic. You cant request the burger in lieu of whatever is on the F menu?

Sounds like that would be a good award for the platinum level without diminishing the gold level...first dibs on meal choices?
The policy is that, after coach sales have been completed, we are able to provide, at no cost, a Northern Bites fresh meal (not a picnic pack) at no charge to our First Class customers that want one. I can't explain why they would have charge the dad in 1A/1C unless his kids were sitting in coach and he wanted to buy one for them in coach. If that were the case then it's appropriate - he would have been buying a coach meal for coach customers.

The reason that you have to wait until our coach customers have the opportunity to purchase a meal is because they aren't provided a comp meal. There are a limited number of burgers for purchase on board but not enough for each person to purchase one. Their only opportunity to eat on board is if they bring their own food or purchase a burger. 7 hours (the length of the ORD-ANC flight) is a long time to go without food if you are hungry and it wouldn't be fair at all to have to deny someone the chance to buy a meal because somebody in First Class decided they didn't want their allocated meal in favor of a cheeseburger. We also don't serve First Class meals to someone in coach so giving them your meal isn't an option. Taking food from a coach customer has never been a benefit of First Class.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:30 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The policy is that, after coach sales have been completed, we are able to provide, at no cost, a Northern Bites fresh meal (not a picnic pack) at no charge to our First Class customers that want one. I can't explain why they would have charge the dad in 1A/1C unless his kids were sitting in coach and he wanted to buy one for them in coach. If that were the case then it's appropriate - he would have been buying a coach meal for coach customers.

The kid was in 1A. I guess its one of those discretionary things but had I been the FA I would not have charged the kid for a cheeseburger.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
The kid was in 1A. I guess its one of those discretionary things but had I been the FA I would not have charged the kid for a cheeseburger.

It's actually not discretionary at all - the FA should not have charged for the cheeseburger. Maybe they thought, by offering a cheesburger before the service was complete in the main cabin, it would be okay if they charged for it? That's not the policy either though so I don't know what they were thinking. Bottom line is, you're right, they shouldn't have charged for the burger.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
On the way back from OGG, we wanted to try one of the burgers on the taro root bun. We told the FA we would be more than willing to pay for it (though this was also back in the days when they were doing the 10 miles per dollar for onboard purchases!) but that we really wanted to try it. She said that she'd have to wait until the coach cabin was done being served and then we could have one complimentary. We said that we didn't want to wait and chance them running out and were willing to pay--making us equivalent to a coach passenger--but she couldn't do it.

We ended up getting some mediocre first class meal, and they ran out of burgers. I think I would have gladly traded that for an Angus burger.

I understand the rationale, and I agree it's not an F benefit to take food from a Y passenger, but it also doesn't seem fair to deny a willing, paying person from something just because they're already paying a higher fare (or maintain elite status).

Perhaps some poor soul in Y would have liked to trade a burger for my F meal.

And if AS is regularly running out of the burgers (as is the case on every flight I've ever been on where they were sold--I've even been unable to get them in Y), perhaps they need to cater a few extras...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
On the way back from OGG, we wanted to try one of the burgers on the taro root bun. We told the FA we would be more than willing to pay for it (though this was also back in the days when they were doing the 10 miles per dollar for onboard purchases!) but that we really wanted to try it. She said that she'd have to wait until the coach cabin was done being served and then we could have one complimentary. We said that we didn't want to wait and chance them running out and were willing to pay--making us equivalent to a coach passenger--but she couldn't do it.

We ended up getting some mediocre first class meal, and they ran out of burgers. I think I would have gladly traded that for an Angus burger.

I understand the rationale, and I agree it's not an F benefit to take food from a Y passenger, but it also doesn't seem fair to deny a willing, paying person from something just because they're already paying a higher fare (or maintain elite status).

Perhaps some poor soul in Y would have liked to trade a burger for my F meal.

And if AS is regularly running out of the burgers (as is the case on every flight I've ever been on where they were sold--I've even been unable to get them in Y), perhaps they need to cater a few extras...

It's a very delicate balance, trying to cater just enough so that you can accomodate all requests but not so many that you end up with many left over. Catering too many is not cost effective, catering too few is a bad customer service failure - especially on a long flight. I wish there was a way to guarantee a burger for everyone that wanted one but it's just not possible to always guarantee that. They do offer the picnic packs and, generally speaking, sales from those will offset the numbers of burgers sold.

If we burgers ran out in the main cabin and the FA's were unable to offer them to 5 or 6 passengers, whom would you suggest they should offer your First Class meal to? What should they tell the others that were unable to have a hot meal? What if the coach passenger didn't want to eat whatever was provisioned for you? What if a Coach passenger preferred to have your meal instead of a burger? Should we honor that request?

The burgers are a nice offering as compared to other airlines offerings. They are of good quality and are a warm meal offering where most other airlines are selling cold sandwiches. I get all that but I think the First Class meals are usually a lot better.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:11 pm

I get all that but I think the First Class meals are usually a lot better.
Absolutely, MEX-USA your burger comes with lettuce, tomato and a truffle!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Absolutely, MEX-USA your burger comes with lettuce, tomato and a truffle!
Okay then... just a little better...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

The reason that you have to wait until our coach customers have the opportunity to purchase a meal is because they aren't provided a comp meal. There are a limited number of burgers for purchase on board but not enough for each person to purchase one. Their only opportunity to eat on board is if they bring their own food or purchase a burger. 7 hours (the length of the ORD-ANC flight) is a long time to go without food if you are hungry and it wouldn't be fair at all to have to deny someone the chance to buy a meal because somebody in First Class decided they didn't want their allocated meal in favor of a cheeseburger. We also don't serve First Class meals to someone in coach so giving them your meal isn't an option. Taking food from a coach customer has never been a benefit of First Class.
It's actually not discretionary at all - the FA should not have charged for the cheeseburger. Maybe they thought, by offering a cheesburger before the service was complete in the main cabin, it would be okay if they charged for it? That's not the policy either though so I don't know what they were thinking. Bottom line is, you're right, they shouldn't have charged for the burger.
Hmm... I was hungry after my SEA-ORD flight after the F meal during January. Unfortunately they catered the cold sandwich on it, but it was surprisingly decent. (Would have preferred a burger of course... but beggars... )

I was however charged $5 for the sandwich... from what I read this is incorrect policy... correct? Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:04 pm

But don't they say AS
What, the gate (jetway) or the stairs? I'm pretty sure the gate (inside the terminal) is branded as AS, but I have no idea if the stairs actually have an airline logo. On the stairs we have here in YYJ there is no logo, but there is a code (QX####), recorded for the GSE Dept.

EDIT: I actually took a good look at the rear stairs today... The ones we have here are indeed branded as Horizon, with the name on two sides.

Last edited by MatthewG; Feb 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:57 am

Hmm... I was hungry after my SEA-ORD flight after the F meal during January. Unfortunately they catered the cold sandwich on it, but it was surprisingly decent. (Would have preferred a burger of course... but beggars... )

I was however charged $5 for the sandwich... from what I read this is incorrect policy... correct? Thanks!
If they were finished serving them to the main cabin then yes, you should NOT have been charged. Send a note to customer care and ask for your $5 back. It's not much but it's your $5 and the company needs to realize that this policy is not being implemented appropriately.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:38 pm

If they were finished serving them to the main cabin then yes, you should NOT have been charged. Send a note to customer care and ask for your $5 back. It's not much but it's your $5 and the company needs to realize that this policy is not being implemented appropriately.
And this is not so much for this past flight, but for future ones...

Thanks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.