Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two pretty unrelated questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I've never seen the Golds get the first choice of meal. I'd be a little miffed if I was in F class and some Gold on a bargain fare with an upgrade certificate took the last quiche. No actually, I wouldn't mind all that much, but I would find it abit odd.

I've seen drinks back to front and food front to back on my last 4 long-hauls in F.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:18 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Seat 7D
I've never seen the Golds get the first choice of meal. I'd be a little miffed if I was in F class and some Gold on a bargain fare with an upgrade certificate took the last quiche. No actually, I wouldn't mind all that much, but I would find it abit odd.

I've seen drinks back to front and food front to back on my last 4 long-hauls in F.
I guess you wouldve been miffed then when I got the last of the blackened cod ORD to ANC on my hot deals fare and my upgrade certificate That brings up another ball of wax all together though. Why do they have 5 of one meal choice and 11 of the other one! At least 8/8 split would be more realistic!!! Some pax on that same flight wanted a burger(a dad wanted it for his 4 or 5 year oldson as they were 1A and 1C)...and they charged them $5 for it which IMO was also pathetic. You cant request the burger in lieu of whatever is on the F menu?

Sounds like that would be a good award for the platinum level without diminishing the gold level...first dibs on meal choices?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
They call golds...wait 3 seconds call mvps....wait 5 seconds and call all rows
and in some airports, this means you get to go through TSA security, walk outside on the tarmac, and climb a tall staircase to board the plane.

Try doing that with a couple kids and carseats, -70F windchill, or perhaps in 95F weather on the fairbanks tarmac (not sure if they board combis like that anymore in FAI)..
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
The few times I have flown a combi, they have always boarded all rows in one call. I'd actually say that on most flights out of ANC for normal planes, they do pax needing assistance 1st, then 1st/golds, then elites, then all rows - probably because there are so many elites it is not worth trying to go back forward on everyone else.
Ah, yes. I thought I remembered that being the case. You confirmed it.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:13 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by maokh
and in some airports, this means you get to go through TSA security, walk outside on the tarmac, and climb a tall staircase to board the plane.

Try doing that with a couple kids and carseats, -70F windchill, or perhaps in 95F weather on the fairbanks tarmac (not sure if they board combis like that anymore in FAI)..
never been on a combi where you dont go outside. Does seattle do it differently? You still go outside in Fairbanks and Anchorage. A lot of Alaska locations outside of ANC, FAI, or JNU you go outside regardless if its a combi or not
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
never been on a combi where you dont go outside. Does seattle do it differently? You still go outside in Fairbanks and Anchorage. A lot of Alaska locations outside of ANC, FAI, or JNU you go outside regardless if its a combi or not
Is there a gate that could accommodate a 73Q?

Perhaps a 757 gate that accommodates 'docking' at the second door (between the F and Y cabins... otherwise the gates are a little short...
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:03 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by beckoa

Perhaps a 757 gate that accommodates 'docking' at the second door (between the F and Y cabins... otherwise the gates are a little short...
the new FAI gate ramps are long as....!!!! but they still park out on the tarmac
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
the new FAI gate ramps are long as....!!!! but they still park out on the tarmac
Hmm.. was there on Feb 10th... didn't realize that...

Is there any difference between the foreword door and the aft one (size) but that shouldn't be an issue, as the gate ramps are adjustable... Or they are not certified to accept (either the aircraft, gate ramps or the airport itself...) from the aft door?

Maybe they just aren't long enough
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:27 pm
ANC

Hmm.. was there on Feb 10th... didn't realize that...

Is there any difference between the foreword door and the aft one (size) but that shouldn't be an issue, as the gate ramps are adjustable... Or they are not certified to accept (either the aircraft, gate ramps or the airport itself...) from the aft door?

Maybe they just aren't long enough
I think the doors are about the same size. It takes the FAI crew 15 minutes to line up the ramp to the front door. It would probably take them 30 minutes to line it up to the rear door
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
I think the doors are about the same size. It takes the FAI crew 15 minutes to line up the ramp to the front door. It would probably take them 30 minutes to line it up to the rear door
It didn't take them long at all to line it up when I flew up earlier this month... (I think the doors were open before I was ready to extract myself from 2A - trying to get my stuff to fit in my laptop case )
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ANC
And they were all supposed to be there or were there 12 in F, 10 golds, 5 mvps, and a bunch of GATE LICE ?
More like 8 MVPs/Golds in first, 30 more MVPs/Golds in coach along with their companions, plus the usual collection of a half dozen or so wheelchair passengers, a few AA/DL/NW elites, plus a few families with children.

It's not too uncommon to pull up a list of MVPs and Golds on a flight, the 3pm flight out of Phoenix is a good example, and get a list of 30+ names. I will admit that there were a few times I got a chuckle looking at First Class Upgrade waitlists exceeding 20 names.

Most jetways, even those with a long reach, cannot reach an aircraft's read door without tearing through the wing. However, there are jetways capable of reaching over the wing and using rear doors. Amsterdam has some that KLM uses to board 747s from rear doors. United also tested, but later discontinued, using this style jetway for Ted operations in Denver. The draw back to these kinds of jetways for combi operations is that they prevent loading/unloading of the cargo section.

And yes, Seattle loads and unloads passengers on Combi's rampside. Usually done at gates C14/C16, after deplaining passengers enter the terminal using the exterior stairs outside of those gates.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sparky81
The draw back to these kinds of jetways for combi operations is that they prevent loading/unloading of the cargo section
You beat me to this point by 10 minutes!

This is the key. It wouldn't be possible to load a combi via a jetway unless you weren't planning on using the combi portion of the combi aircraft!

(Plus, then it would probably end up being tail-heavy without some freight up front...)
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:15 am
ANC

It didn't take them long at all to line it up when I flew up earlier this month... (I think the doors were open before I was ready to extract myself from 2A - trying to get my stuff to fit in my laptop case )
I must admit they have gotten faster the past month or so but they were awfully hideous at operating the new ramps for a good 6 months or so!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:10 am

And yes, Seattle loads and unloads passengers on Combi's rampside. Usually done at gates C14/C16, after deplaining passengers enter the terminal using the exterior stairs outside of those gates.
Ah ha! That is why they have "QX Stairs" up to the jetway. I didn't think QX used those gates so that all makes sense now...

(When I say "QX Stairs", they use the exact same type of stairs that we use on QX to board/deboard via the rear door, just pushed up to the jetway)
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:10 am

More like 8 MVPs/Golds in first, 30 more MVPs/Golds in coach along with their companions, plus the usual collection of a half dozen or so wheelchair passengers, a few AA/DL/NW elites, plus a few families with children.

It's not too uncommon to pull up a list of MVPs and Golds on a flight, the 3pm flight out of Phoenix is a good example, and get a list of 30+ names. I will admit that there were a few times I got a chuckle looking at First Class Upgrade waitlists exceeding 20 names.
It is nice to be able to board companions with MVPG's...

And 30+ people on a waitlist PHX-SEA - sounds like ANC-SEA

Originally Posted by jackal
Most jetways, even those with a long reach, cannot reach an aircraft's read door without tearing through the wing. However, there are jetways capable of reaching over the wing and using rear doors. Amsterdam has some that KLM uses to board 747s from rear doors. United also tested, but later discontinued, using this style jetway for Ted operations in Denver. The draw back to these kinds of jetways for combi operations is that they prevent loading/unloading of the cargo section.

You beat me to this point by 10 minutes!

This is the key. It wouldn't be possible to load a combi via a jetway unless you weren't planning on using the combi portion of the combi aircraft!

(Plus, then it would probably end up being tail-heavy without some freight up front...)

I didn't even think about the issue of going around the wing...

As far as loading the 73Q... maybe they could have put that door on the right side of the A/C... but really a mute point as it would be inefficient to have a jetway like that...

Originally Posted by ANC
I must admit they have gotten faster the past month or so but they were awfully hideous at operating the new ramps for a good 6 months or so!
Makes sense- its nice to have that new terminal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.