Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by finlandia
I'd rate AS's current food as better than what HA has served me recently. I'd be afraid of them penny-pinching it if it just became another cost component of the fares.

While I have not flown HA for a while due to closing in on my MM this year I do remember coach food as being better than AS at times. FC of course superior. Now there's a new CEO, new planes and their plan to take back passengers they lost to AS let's see. On another note I see that Horizon has a new CEO which many may remember I called for months ago, this is a great step forward for us that depend on Horizon to get places ( BOI)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As a menu collector and one that has flown between the mainland and Hawaii over 50 times - most of those flights in First Class - I thought the collected cognoscenti here might get a kick out of how Mainland - Hawaii First Class service used to be.

Let's start with Braniff's fine service aboard its big orange 747 departing Dallas each day at 1:00pm. Following was seven hours and forty minutes of inflight bliss. As you sip your perfectly chilled Pisco Sour in the upstairs International Lounge, let's have a look at the menu and consider our luncheon options... Circa 1974

BRANIFF INTERNATIONAL

Dallas to Honolulu
747 Braniff Place

LUNCHEON

Served upstairs in the International Lounge or at your seat
Pisco Sour or your favorite cocktail

On the Main Deck with your Cocktail
Diced Lobster Newberg in Patty Shell
Anticuchos

Chilled Soup
Vichyssoise

The Salad
Crisp Hearts of Boston Lettuce with Beefsteak Tomatoes
French Dressing or Roquefort Dressing

MAIN COURSES

Roast Tenderloin of Beef Wellington

Carved at your table with Sauce Bordelaise

Filets of Sole Marguery

Duckling Bigarade

French Lamb Chops in Tarragon

Assorted Garden Vegetables

SWEETS

Crepes Suzette
Fresh Fruit Basket

From the Cheese Board
A selection of fine international cheeses with the traditional garnishes
Port Salut

Colombian Coffee
Cappuccino

************************************************** ***************************************
************************************************** ***************************************

As for transcon services, let's settle back into our large plush seats aboard Eastern's L-1011 Whisperliner and check out Eastern's First Class dinner offerings between New York and San Francisco... Circa 1982

E A S T E R N...A I R L I N E S..
New York to San Francisco

An Invitation to Dine

HOT HORS D'OEUVRES

A selection of Chicken Teriyaki Brochettes, Mini Quiche and Rumaki

COLD APPETIZER
Our assortment of cold appetizers includes Fresh Salmon, Chicken Gallantine, Smoked Sturgeon, White Asparagus with Ham, and a Salami Cornet filled with a Cream Cheese Puff

SALAD
Hearts of Lettuce along with your personal salad bar of garden vegetables, are served with your choice of Bleu Cheese or Creamy Italian Dressing

FOR YOUR ENTREE CHOICE

Sirloin Roast Parisienne

Lean and tender Sirloin of Beef, flavored with Herbs and Spices, roasted in its natural juices. This favorite will be carved at your seat. For the perfect accompaniment try au jus Madiera or creamed horseradish

Duck Montmorency
A roasted Young Duckling covered with Bing Cherries in a delicate glace

Sole Normande
Filet of Sole, poached in White Wine, garnished with Mussels, Clams and Mushrooms in Sauce Normande, topped with Gulf Shrimp.

Accompaniments
Tomato Stuffed with Broccoli Polonaise, Pommes Parisienne, Rice Valencia and a variety of rolls and butter

If you're just in the mood for something lighter, try our

Fresh Fruit Plate
served with creamy Cottage Cheese

FOR DESSERT

Peach Melba
French Vanilla Ice Cream and a Cling Peach half in Melba Sauce and Whipped Cream

A selection of Fine Cheese will be offered with a choice of liqueurs

Prior to arrival we invite you to enjoy Fresh Fruit and Chocolate Mints

Sadly, what we're offered today - not just on Alaska but on all U.S. airlines - doesn't even meet Economy Class standards back in the day. I flew coach on the above flight and dined on filet mignon with twice baked potato, salad, shrimp stuffed tomato appetizer and a berry tart dessert.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As a menu collector and one that has flown between the mainland and Hawaii over 50 times - most of those flights in First Class - I thought the collected cognoscenti here might get a kick out of how Mainland - Hawaii First Class service used to be.

Let's start with Braniff's fine service aboard its big orange 747 departing Dallas each day at 1:00pm. Following was seven hours and forty minutes of inflight bliss. As you sip your perfectly chilled Pisco Sour in the upstairs International Lounge, let's have a look at the menu and consider our luncheon options... Circa 1974

BRANIFF INTERNATIONAL

Dallas to Honolulu
747 Braniff Place

LUNCHEON

Served upstairs in the International Lounge or at your seat
Pisco Sour or your favorite cocktail

On the Main Deck with your Cocktail
Diced Lobster Newberg in Patty Shell
Anticuchos

Chilled Soup
Vichyssoise

The Salad
Crisp Hearts of Boston Lettuce with Beefsteak Tomatoes
French Dressing or Roquefort Dressing

MAIN COURSES

Roast Tenderloin of Beef Wellington

Carved at your table with Sauce Bordelaise

Filets of Sole Marguery

Duckling Bigarade

French Lamb Chops in Tarragon

Assorted Garden Vegetables

SWEETS

Crepes Suzette
Fresh Fruit Basket

From the Cheese Board
A selection of fine international cheeses with the traditional garnishes
Port Salut

Colombian Coffee
Cappuccino

As for transcon services, let's settle back into our large plush seats aboard Eastern's L-1011 Whisperliner and check out Eastern's First Class dinner offerings between New York and San Francisco... Circa 1982

E A S T E R N...A I R L I N E S..
New York to San Francisco

An Invitation to Dine

HOT HORS D'OEUVRES

A selection of Chicken Teriyaki Brochettes, Mini Quiche and Rumaki

COLD APPETIZER
Our assortment of cold appetizers includes Fresh Salmon, Chicken Gallantine, Smoked Sturgeon, White Asparagus with Ham, and a Salami Cornet filled with a Cream Cheese Puff

SALAD
Hearts of Lettuce along with your personal salad bar of garden vegetables, are served with your choice of Bleu Cheese or Creamy Italian Dressing

FOR YOUR ENTREE CHOICE

Sirloin Roast Parisienne

Lean and tender Sirloin of Beef, flavored with Herbs and Spices, roasted in its natural juices. This favorite will be carved at your seat. For the perfect accompaniment try au jus Madiera or creamed horseradish

Duck Montmorency
A roasted Young Duckling covered with Bing Cherries in a delicate glace

Sole Normande
Filet of Sole, poached in White Wine, garnished with Mussels, Clams and Mushrooms in Sauce Normande, topped with Gulf Shrimp.

Accompaniments
Tomato Stuffed with Broccoli Polonaise, Pommes Parisienne, Rice Valencia and a variety of rolls and butter

If you're just in the mood for something lighter, try our

Fresh Fruit Plate
served with creamy Cottage Cheese

FOR DESSERT

Peach Melba
French Vanilla Ice Cream and a Cling Peach half in Melba Sauce and Whipped Cream

A selection of Fine Cheese will be offered with a choice of liqueurs

Prior to arrival we invite you to enjoy Fresh Fruit and Chocolate Mints

Sadly, what we're offered today - not just on Alaska but on all U.S. airlines - doesn't even meet Economy Class standards back in the day. I flew coach on the above flight and dined on filet mignon with twice baked potato, salad, shrimp stuffed tomato appetizer and a berry tart dessert.
Having flown back and forth since 1974 Braniff AKA the "super carrot" or "Flying Carrot" was and I don't think ever to be beaten the best food ever to the islands. The velour seats were a hoot. Eastern living in DC that use to be my main squeeze they were one if not the first airline that came out with the upgrades I had a Eastern Airline Executive Traveler Book brown it contained blank tickets, I made reservations went to the airport wrote out my ticket, if there was an open FC I got it !
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by edgewood49
... Braniff AKA the "super carrot" or "Flying Carrot" ...
N601BN, Line Number 100, was affectionately called “The Great Pumpkin”
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

N601BN, Line Number 100, was affectionately called “The Great Pumpkin”
Heard that one as well. Had serval friends far up in the feeding chain there and it was called the super carrot to them ! Look it was a great experience flying DFW - HNL were the seats up front not blue velour ? They use have greta service IAD to MIA as well took that one monthly.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Were the seats up front not blue velour?

Blue velour seats with six different lounge areas. Sure beats narrow body transport to the islands.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:38 pm

Blue velour seats with six different lounge areas. Sure beats narrow body transport to the islands.
Damn that's them !!! I once had veal coming out of DFW frankly it was as good as any restaurant ! They made "Fat Albert" great
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Bahhh. Flight to MCO tomorrow had F - 5. at T-48 and all day yesterday until I went to bed. Woke up to F-1. Swap to an 800...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:08 am

Trip Not Posted to Alaska Account

Flew Virgin America on Jan 8th from sfo-dca and returned Jan 10th iad-sfo on the same reservation. Originally had my elevate number plugged into the reservation but then updated it with my Alaska mileage plan number. I still do not see, even the first leg of this trip, registered in my Alaska account. It’s not listed at all and it’s been not over a week. Typically, can anyone tell me how long it takes for their trips to be reflected in Alaska’s points/mileage system? Is it abnormal that it’s been over a week and my account doesn’t reflect the trip?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Gilbum
Flew Virgin America on Jan 8th from sfo-dca and returned Jan 10th iad-sfo on the same reservation. Originally had my elevate number plugged into the reservation but then updated it with my Alaska mileage plan number. I still do not see, even the first leg of this trip, registered in my Alaska account. It’s not listed at all and it’s been not over a week. Typically, can anyone tell me how long it takes for their trips to be reflected in Alaska’s points/mileage system? Is it abnormal that it’s been over a week and my account doesn’t reflect the trip?
Head over to the Flame Free thread - that question was just answered there. And, there's a link for another thread devoted just to that issue. Short answer is it's not uncommon to take 2 weeks.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:59 am

AS doing a special partnership with Amazon. For flights taken by 31 March when employees register their MP#: 1st flight earns 1k bonus miles, 2nd flight earns 20k EQM (instant MVP), 3rd flight earns an additional 5k bonus miles. Luckily, I've got three flights (10k miles) planned by early March, and by the end should have 30k EQMs and 16k miles (and if I get my match from UA Silver approved before then, I'll have 21k miles).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
AS doing a special partnership with Amazon. For flights taken by 31 March when employees register their MP#: 1st flight earns 1k bonus miles, 2nd flight earns 20k EQM (instant MVP), 3rd flight earns an additional 5k bonus miles. Luckily, I've got three flights (10k miles) planned by early March, and by the end should have 30k EQMs and 16k miles (and if I get my match from UA Silver approved before then, I'll have 21k miles).
It should be noted that this promo is directed ONLY toward current employees of Amazon. Those of us like myself working for companies like Amalgamated Anti-Matter, LLC are not eligible.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Bit of a shaker this morning... eh?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Is there going to be an Alaska DO this year and if so when is it likely to be?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:40 pm

It should be noted that this promo is directed ONLY toward current employees of Amazon. Those of us like myself working for companies like Amalgamated Anti-Matter, LLC are not eligible.

Let me throw this in look to where AS fly's east then wait to see Amazon's new HQ. And for those in Seattle this will not end well for the City

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.