Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Ok, I have a cousin who is retired, has lots of money and likes to travel the world. He's near impossible to find a Christmas gift for because he lives simple, buys whatever he needs, and packs light when traveling. He is the type of traveler that goes on backpacking trips in Thailand or India or wherever. Anyone have any idea on some kind of travel gear that would be a good gift for someone like this?
Not going to try to offer any specific ideas on gear but just my 2 cents on getting it as gifts. Personally, I'm pretty picky about gear, especially for backpacking or taking on a plane/train, and while I love getting items along that line, they're most appreciated if they are from a store I frequent and can be exchanged if there is something else I've been eyeing more/like the dimensions of better/weighs less/etc.

Another idea that may or may not be your and/or his style though: Is there a charity in a frequented travel destination that serves people he's interacted with? One of the greatest gifts I can get is not for me but donations to places where there are people I've met and "lived life" with.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
That seems like an apt description for Seattle, itself.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:30 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jackal
AS just needs to adjust their downgrade compensation to match CO's... )

(Seriously, go look up what Continental gives their downgraded pax!)
was a pleased recipient of a downgrade compensation considering that trip was financed by Expedia

Originally Posted by CDKing
I couldn't find CO's downgrade policy, do you have a link? does it apply for comped upgrades. I'm wondering if I should select 2B on my upgraded flight just in case there are some FAM's on the flight
Yes it does apply for complimentary upgrades... My IAH-LAX flight was originally scheduled to fly the 753 and I was already upgraded to First... Then the 753 that was supposed to fly my IAH-LAX flight got stuck in EWR due to weather, so they swapped the equipment to a 752 [loss of 8 seats] causing me to lose my upgrade. Because of that I got $200

Not only that, they blocked the exit row seat for elites who got downgraded, and when I came up to the podium, they already had me in an aisle exit row seat... When I informed the agent that I cannot be in the exit row, he said no problem and put me in the bulkhead seat in the aisle which had even better legroom.

They also rebooked me into full Y which got me 50% COS bonus EQMs... Also in IROPs you will get rebooked into full Y, which happened on my IAH-LGA flight and that does put you at the very top of the upgrade queue and that also means if an F passenger no shows or misconnects 90% of the time you will be the one to snag the upgrade.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
What sort of trinkets?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:43 pm
AAL

We enjoyed the Dickens carolers at SEA last year; they added a happy and festive touch. There was also a toy soldier mime just past the security checkpoint. Whatever it takes to help stressed travelers lighten up!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:55 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Missydarlin just boarded my flight to Vegas... UA 396.
Originally Posted by BOB W
Gawd, she's on UA I hope she survives

I hear they paid her to board.....
You may want to note that I no-showed my confirmed flights on UA tonight and chose to non-rev home on AS instead.

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Ok, I have a cousin who is retired, has lots of money and likes to travel the world. He's near impossible to find a Christmas gift for because he lives simple, buys whatever he needs, and packs light when traveling. He is the type of traveler that goes on backpacking trips in Thailand or India or wherever. Anyone have any idea on some kind of travel gear that would be a good gift for someone like this?

Thanks!
http://www.cocooninnovations.com/pro...product_id=155
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by missydarlin
You may want to note that I no-showed my confirmed flights on UA tonight and chose to non-rev home on AS
So wise in so many ways for being so young and gorgeous
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You may want to note that I no-showed my confirmed flights on UA tonight and chose to non-rev home on AS instead.
Because you hate UA, or because it was via SFO and you really wanted to make it home tonight?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Because you hate UA, or because it was via SFO and you really wanted to make it home tonight?
Because she didn't want those three orphan miles
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
kind of a toss-up
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AAL
We enjoyed the Dickens carolers at SEA last year; they added a happy and festive touch. There was also a toy soldier mime just past the security checkpoint. Whatever it takes to help stressed travelers lighten up!
the mime sounds creepy
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
the mime sounds creepy
Hey look everyone....The Circus is in Town! Yeah!

Oh boy!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...that bad of a flight
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
...that bad of a flight
Bad flight and any airline that begins with a U is a redundancy.....
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
kind of a toss-up
Yeah, I looked at those E- seats.

United loves you if you have status, and hates you if you do not.

Bad flight and any airline that begins with a U is a redundancy.....
It would appear my upgrade percentage on this trip with UA as a CO Gold (so 1P-) is 75%.

That being said, Missy was dead on pointing out "we could be in Miami now or halfway to Paris" getting to LAS after our little scenic trip around Point Reyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.