Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another broken MD-80

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
The bulkhead row 6 on the MD-80 has pretty good legroom...better than on some other planes. I don't think there is any more legroom in the bulkhead row of F compared to the bulkhead row of Y, possibly even less. If you sit in 6c, you can extend your legs into F since the bulkhead does not go all the way to the aisle. The exit rows (21 and 22) are also good. Avoid 21A and F if you want to recline.

I always found the AS MD-80 seats to be pretty comfortable, especially in F.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:07 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by IStream
For me, as far forward as you can get on the port side. Starboard is 3 seats across, port is 2 seats
You've got that backwards. It's 3 seats port, and 2 seats starboard.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Flew LAS - PDX on plane 975 today - great ride.
Thanks MD-80 - I'm going to miss you. ^
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
You've got that backwards. It's 3 seats port, and 2 seats starboard.
Whoops, thanks for the correction, Missy. I was visualizing it as though I were walking down the aisle to take my seat, not facing forward as I should've.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by IStream
For me, as far forward as you can get on the port side. Starboard is 3 seats across, port is 2 seats and there's a steadily increasing gradient of noise and smell as you move aft towards the engines/lavs. That said, some folks prefer to be near the wing since there's generally less motion near the center of lift. That puts the sweet spot around row 12 unless you're in FC.
Originally Posted by EIPremier
The bulkhead row 6 on the MD-80 has pretty good legroom...better than on some other planes. I don't think there is any more legroom in the bulkhead row of F compared to the bulkhead row of Y, possibly even less. If you sit in 6c, you can extend your legs into F since the bulkhead does not go all the way to the aisle. The exit rows (21 and 22) are also good. Avoid 21A and F if you want to recline.

I always found the AS MD-80 seats to be pretty comfortable, especially in F.
I do have to admit, it was a sweet ride on my recent trip to OAK, and was amazed at how quiet F was, especially during takeoff, and impressed at the angle we took! Maybe I'll get another one in this year, but if not, goodbye to an interesting aircraft...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles/NW World Perks
Originally Posted by beckoa
I do have to admit, it was a sweet ride on my recent trip to OAK, and was amazed at how quiet F was, especially during takeoff, and impressed at the angle we took! Maybe I'll get another one in this year, but if not, goodbye to an interesting aircraft...

The MD80 is by far my favorite short haul plane, I'll get on one of those before a 737-300/400 any day. When I flew Alaska routinely I always chose the MD80 over the 737. A very cool plane.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Platinum, Alaska Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by micfly
The MD80 is by far my favorite short haul plane, I'll get on one of those before a 737-300/400 any day. When I flew Alaska routinely I always chose the MD80 over the 737. A very cool plane.
Agreed. I am amazed at the number of people who like row 6. I can't stand it on either MD80s or 73's. I will also miss having the option of sitting two across when in coach. That was a nice feature. I know they are gas hogs but it does amaze me that there are several other airlines that use them (and their predescessor the DC9 or its replacement the 717) extensively and appear to be in no hurry to get rid of them.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I think they're letting these planes go to seed before they retire them. My SEA-OAK MD-80 flight this morning has been on a maintenance hold for the last 20 minutes, and it's looking like another 10 minutes at least, before we board.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
So is aircraft 960 still at SFO? We were supposed to be on AS345 last Saturday (23Feb), and the crew boarded and immediately got off. I head the captain say "I'm not going to accept this aircraft." The GA responded with "that's what another captain told me yesterday." At least the GA protected me on QX a couple of hours later; the unfortunates were bussed to SJC. I know that 345 was cancelled on 22Feb, 23Feb, and 24Feb.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ak333
So is aircraft 960 still at SFO? We were supposed to be on AS345 last Saturday (23Feb), and the crew boarded and immediately got off. I head the captain say "I'm not going to accept this aircraft." The GA responded with "that's what another captain told me yesterday." At least the GA protected me on QX a couple of hours later; the unfortunates were bussed to SJC. I know that 345 was cancelled on 22Feb, 23Feb, and 24Feb.
Interesting... I was on this a/c the 15th of Feb PDX-OAK and no problems at all were had. Departed and arrived on time too! Just want to confirm, this is the a/c with the 1000th MD-80 series plaque inside...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I was just checking out space on flt 532 SEA-PSP for Sunday 3/2 and saw it is an MD-80, which seemed strange as I haven't seen one on that route for a long time. Did a look-back on FlightAware and see its a 737/Q during the week and an MD-80 on the weekends. Seems weird they would do that...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by ak333
I flew on aircraft 960 (the one with the plaque on the interior) on Monday, 25 Feb, between Oakland and Portland on AS 419. I do remember thinking it was odd to see a MD-80, since this flight was scheduled for a 737...they must have subbed it on the inbound from PDX. However, the flight operated on-time, and without issue. I also recall flying on the same aircraft last year between SEA and LAX, and the flight was also on-time and uneventful. I do remember one MD-80 flight I took last year where the pilot reminded us of the safety card in the seatback pocket prior to pushback and rather emphatically recommended we look over it! I actually thought it was good to remind us, since many people never bother to look, but I did think it was odd, since the flight attendant safety demo should be sufficient.

If AS were not in the middle of pilot pay negotiations right now, I would find it more concerning that different pilots on different dates were unwilling to accept an aircraft. However, I have actually been told by more than one gate agent in the past that there are some pilots "with a reputation" for excessive write-ups or otherwise trying to disrupt flights. Of course, it could well be that there was a legitimate reason for not accepting the aircraft...that's the problem with trying to play armchair expert. N.B. I don't think this is a widespread problem, and on-time performance has actually been improving the past several months.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Feb 29, 2008 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I flew on aircraft 960 (the one with the plaque on the interior) on Monday, 25 Feb, between Oakland and Portland on AS 419. I do remember thinking it was odd to see a MD-80, since this flight was scheduled for a 737...they must have subbed it on the inbound from PDX. However, the flight operated on-time, and without issue. I also recall flying on the same aircraft last year between SEA and LAX, and the flight was also on-time and uneventful. I do remember one MD-80 flight I took last year where the pilot reminded us of the safety card in the seatback pocket prior to pushback and rather emphatically recommended we look over it! I actually thought it was good to remind us, since many people never bother to look, but I did think it was odd, since the flight attendant safety demo should be sufficient.

If AS were not in the middle of pilot pay negotiations right now, I would find it more concerning that different pilots on different dates were unwilling to accept an aircraft. However, I have actually been told by more than one gate agent in the past that there are some pilots "with a reputation" for excessive write-ups or otherwise trying to disrupt flights. Of course, it could well be that there was a legitimate reason for not accepting the aircraft...that's the problem with trying to play armchair expert. N.B. I don't think this is a widespread problem, and on-time performance has actually been improving the past several months.
I wonder if AS finally ferried the a/c over to OAK for the maintenance. This was also the first on-time issue I have had with AS in a while.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, it appears I will by flying an MD-80 down to Vegas tonight (AS 682).

Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:39 pm

Wow!!! This thread took a surprising (and unexpected!!!) turn. I have to say, as much as I really don't care for the MD80, I will be just a tiny bit sad to see them go. They take me back just a little to my Republic/Northwest days when we flew the DC9's. None the less, their day is over - it's time to let them retire to the desert or to where ever they plan on sending them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.