Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another broken MD-80

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm just sort of curious- even acknowledging that AS was lazy/cheap enough to let AS261 happen, people really think they're so evil as to let ANOTHER MD80 get a worn-down jack screw? Why fly them at all, then? I'd be more concerned about the company that let the plane go to pot than the plane model. It's not like 737's are immune to maintenance problems, and you have to figure they'd be a lot more diligent checking this specific problem, seeing as it killed a bunch of co-workers...
Not trying to pick bones, but the AS 261 accident involved a type of mechanical failure that was thought to be virtually impossible on the dc-9/md-80. Hindsight is always 20/20. People often make it seem like AS knew leading up to flight 261 that the planes were unsafe, and I really don't think there is evidence to support that. There had been incidents with jammed stabilizers before, but to my knowledge AS 261 was the first time horizontal stabilizer failure on a dc-9/md-80 had led to a fatal accident. Simply put, it's not clear to me that AS management was in any way aware of the dangers of extending the jackscrew check intervals (which were faa approved changes, btw). Thus, I'm very confident that AS is extra cautious these days with the MD-80s, and it has also been suggested that some number of MD-80 pilots are very much in the "work to rule" type of mode, which means they 'aint gonna fly any airplane until everything is fixed to their satisfaction. I personally don't think AS could survive another 261-type accident.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Thus, I'm very confident that AS is extra cautious these days with the MD-80s, and it has also been suggested that some number of MD-80 pilots are very much in the "work to rule" type of mode, which means they 'aint gonna fly any airplane until everything is fixed to their satisfaction. I personally don't think AS could survive another 261-type accident.
\

- I can't exactly blame the pilots for that, given the circumstances.

- And I agree- another would would make them toast.

I don't recall the exact timing, but I didn't fly AS at all for about a year afterwards, IIRC.
See, THAT is the reaction I would expect. WN may be the airline version of Greyhound... but one thing to say for them, they haven't crashed a plane yet.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
\
See, THAT is the reaction I would expect. WN may be the airline version of Greyhound... but one thing to say for them, they haven't crashed a plane yet.
Neither have I. Would you fly with me?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AS, UA, CO, AA
WN may be the airline version of Greyhound... but one thing to say for them, they haven't crashed a plane yet.
Not to nitpick, but I guess it depends on your definition of the word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines#Incidents_and_accidents

Granted, they have not experienced a total loss-type incident (i.e. AS261, AA587, TW800, etc.).
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Platinum, Alaska Gold, HH Gold,
\

- I can't exactly blame the pilots for that, given the circumstances.

- And I agree- another would would make them toast.

Unless you count coming into BUR too hot, landing too far down the runway and going through the barrier fence, stopping just short of a gas station. I am not trying to make light of that but that incident could have turned out very differently.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Platinum, Alaska Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by jackal
Wise words and a good outlook...I see you don't live up to your handle!

I do see both sides, though, and it is a natural tendency and understandable to be nervous of a similar happening after an incident.
There are several airlines that make extensive use of the MD80/90 series and don't have any issues with them. If you read the report on this incident, there were changes made to maintennance intervals and the grease used to lubricate the jack screw.

I know that I was probably on that plane numerous times too and that freaked me out a little as well. The bottom line is that John Kelley and the others in charge at AS back in 2000 responded as admirably as they could and they did more than they were expected to do in order to remain in the air.

Don't forget that US Air had a series of total losses in the 90's, all of them were 737's (mostly 300's I think) and for a while after that, there were a lot of people questioning the integrity of the 737. When the Aloha airlines jet lost its top it was also a (737 which had issues with metal fatigue). The bottom line, don't rush to conclusions about a specific type of plane because the cause in many instances was preventable. Delta and AA make extensive use of MD 80/90 series aircraft and NW still uses its predecessor, the DC9. The last time I checked everything was fine.

Just my semi informed opinion, subject to potential minimization of course.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by pdxasgold
Unless you count coming into BUR too hot, landing too far down the runway and going through the barrier fence, stopping just short of a gas station. I am not trying to make light of that but that incident could have turned out very differently.
EXACTLY! They may get you there but not necessarily to the terminal. You may to walk, swim, or hail a cab back to the gate.

I am on an MD-80 LAS-PDX tomorrow and I am going to enjoy it as it may be my last AS MD-80 experience.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
...and speaking of which. Has Alaska specified what flight will bear the honor of being the last AS MD-80 trip? Could be a nice sendoff.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds like a Mileage Auction to me...

Originally Posted by 98103
...and speaking of which. Has Alaska specified what flight will bear the honor of being the last AS MD-80 trip? Could be a nice sendoff.
I'm sure there is going to be some sort of celebration. I'm thinking a mileage auction or maybe invite those who have had the most delay's on an MD-80???
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Statistically speaking the 737 has a much poorer safety record than the MD80 series. Looking at http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm the
Boeing 737 (all models) has a FLE (Full Loss Equivalent) of 46.67 where as the MD80/90 series is only 9.07. Even if you look only at the 737 variants still in service with AS the 400 series is statistically less safe than the MD80 with a FLE of 11.16.

I just don't like MD80s because of the noise at the back, they are actually nice and quiet up front where I seem to be spending most of my time nowadays.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
This occasional AS flyer out of OAK doesn't mind the MD80s at all. I kind of like the novelty of it. AS is the only airline I fly in a typical year that still has them...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by pdxasgold
Or at MDW where a similar WN accident happend... with more tragic consequences.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:39 am

Had a total flight cancellation yesterday SMF - SEA Flight 361.

Seems there was trouble with my reservation even at T - 24 Hour Check in. It allowed me to check in but not print the boarding pass.

So, at the airport, I check in at the counter to get my BP and the wonderful as always staff at SMF gives me a heads up. The pilot of 361 called in to advise of a maintenance issue, which may delay the aircraft back to SEA. Since I was ultimately ending up in GEG anyway, I was waitlisted (pending the outcome of the maintenance issue, on QX, which was departing at roughly the same time.

Sure enough, once the inbound flight deplaned, an announcement came over the public address system giving everyone the heads-up on the issue and there would be an answer in 10 minutes. A prompt cancellation announcement did come within 10 minutes. No sooner was the cancellation announcement made, an announcement was made for Mr. Valveman to report to Gate 24 for the immediate departure of his flight to GEG!

This is why I fly this airline! The lows of lows and the high of highs!

SMF staff does a very good job! SMF can be considered an 'Outpost' on AS's route system - but they do have quality tenured folks there that do make a great effort to satisfy the customer in upset conditions. ^
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Japhydog
What's the best seat on the Alaska MD-80?
What class of service?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Japhydog
What's the best seat on the Alaska MD-80?
For me, as far forward as you can get on the port side. Starboard is 3 seats across, port is 2 seats and there's a steadily increasing gradient of noise and smell as you move aft towards the engines/lavs. That said, some folks prefer to be near the wing since there's generally less motion near the center of lift. That puts the sweet spot around row 12 unless you're in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.