Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated "second seat" policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Now I'm curious...could somebody buy a second seat for "comfort" even if they didn't need the 2nd seat because of size, rather they just like having an empty seat next to them? If so, what would happen in an overbooked situation, could the airline take the seat back, even though it's been paid for?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:52 pm

What if AS has chosen to take the large aircraft off routes and force passengers on to QX planes. In many cases it would be less costly to buy the MVPG upgrade fare than 2 QX seats. Since the passengers dont control the aircraft choice is there a policy inplace to deal with this?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:14 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Now I'm curious...could somebody buy a second seat for "comfort" even if they didn't need the 2nd seat because of size, rather they just like having an empty seat next to them? If so, what would happen in an overbooked situation, could the airline take the seat back, even though it's been paid for?
Along these same lines, if someone were to purchase an extra seat and were in an overbook situation, would they be more likely to be bumped so the airline would get 2 seats instead of one? And if so, would they get double compensation?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:00 pm

Just wanted to report in with my experience on this on a recent flight to Kamloops -- both planes were nearly half empty, and my refund was promptly credited to my card only a week or so after I called. You *do* have to call -- or fill out a form online -- and they could make that information slightly easier to find. However, once I sat through the phone queue, it was all handled very efficiently. Once again, thumbs up to Alaska for implementing such a sensible, respectful and much-needed policy.

Oh, and remember how I wished that FAs would just hand out seat extensions as you board? On Horizon (or at least these flights anyway) they do just that. They were just sitting on a ledge as you board, easy for a passenger to take or a FA to grab one and hand it to you.

All in all, I was very impressed with Horizon, which I don't normally fly. However, it struck me that pretty much 90% of the people on board were uncomfortable in the teeny tiny seats (and I mean people of standard size), which makes me wonder how long they can really get away with such small seats.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
lol...

Anything but that awful pizza!
You mean there is something worse then the runny egg luke warm skillet I got last Tues to ORD or that cardboard burger I had a while back? Note to AS: Eggs should be fully cooked and NOT runny!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:55 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Maybe I should just buy both seats on the right side when I fly on MD 80s. Does that mean I get 2 carry ons and 2 personal items and elbow room on both sides
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:57 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by fly4funsea
You mean there is something worse then the runny egg luke warm skillet I got last Tues to ORD or that cardboard burger I had a while back? Note to AS: Eggs should be fully cooked and NOT runny!
lol that burger is either loved or hated. I hate it and hate the smell of it. Some people, its their favorite AS meal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.