Updated "second seat" policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Updated "second seat" policy

If it don't fit, you must acquit!

Well, actually, if all your flights go out not completely full, you'll get the second seat $ back effective 1/1/08.

Please let not this deteriorate into a "too fat to fly" or whether buying a 2d seat should be required argument.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I saw this question in the FAQ and thought it appropriate for here:

Do I earn frequent flyer miles for the second seat?
If you are not eligible for a refund and you are an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan member, you can receive bonus miles for the second seat. The bonus miles are equivalent to the mileage you received for each eligible flown segment. Once you have completed travel, you may contact Customer Care at 1-800-654-5669 to request miles.
These miles do not go towards MVP/Gold status.
Too bad they don't go towards MVP/G status. Otherwise, I was going to suggest that enterprising mileage runners could get all their necessary EQMs in half the butt-in-seat(s) mileage...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:35 am

Talking

OK OK! I'm giving back the C-O-O-K-I-E-S!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Kudos to Alaska for addressing the issue, but doing it in a sensitive manner and for the forethought with the FAQ's.

They did however have a typo... the paragraph reads:
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air purchase of an additional seat for any customer who cannot comfortably fit within one seat with the armrests in a down position. Alaska Airlines and/or Horizon Air cannot guarantee travel on a given flight unless a second seat is purchased in advance.
I think they're missing the word "require" in there...

Missy: do I get MP miles for discovering that?

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Nov 14, 2007 at 12:38 pm Reason: note to missy
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I think this is outstanding! ^

I'm absolutely sick of getting squashed by obese passengers on QX.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:08 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by nroscoe

Missy: do I get MP miles for discovering that?

No, but I'll save you some risotto.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN CP, Marriott PP, Hilton Gold
I want them

Originally Posted by Valveman
OK OK! I'm giving back the C-O-O-K-I-E-S!
Don't send them back..... Send them to me

please?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by missydarlin
No, but I'll save you some risotto.
You know, they ran out of risotto right before they got to Row 1 on a recent flight (and they were taking orders front to back).
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
lol...

Anything but that awful pizza!
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:39 pm

^ I usually try to buy an F seat to avoid the whole problem, but I'm thrilled to see that there's now a sensible and easy way to do this where it's not possible, such as on Horizon flights. Also, great to see all this specific information spelled out -- my experience trying to get phone agents to understand what I'm asking has been very poor in the past. Now all they need to do is make the second seat easy to book online, and I really won't have any complaints. (Other than waiting until we're rolling down the runway to get my seatbelt extension, but I've been thinking about buying my own anyway.)
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by TeaAddict
(Other than waiting until we're rolling down the runway to get my seatbelt extension, but I've been thinking about buying my own anyway.)
I think that FAA rules require you to use the airline provided seatbelt extension. Am I incorrect?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
Baggage Options

I wonder if on some flights, this might be reason enough to buy that second seat:

"The number of seats purchased determines baggage allowance. Passengers purchasing two seats are allowed four pieces of checked baggage each. Additional checked bags, or bags over 50 lb. weights or acceptable size dimension will incur a fee, as usual."
Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:44 am

IIRC the FAA does require that the seatbelt extension used be the one provided by the individual airline. I believe that the ones purchased elsewhere are not allowed for use since the airline would have no proof that they are certified for a specific aircraft... plus it would technically be something being 'added' to the aircraft.

If you need an extension simply ask a FA who is in the area where you are seated (it does no good to ask the A FA who is in the FC galley when your seat is, oh say... 27C)... but if no extension has been provided by the time the boarding flow has subsided, definitely ring your call light or remind the nearest FA of your request as you are required to be buckled up when we close up and prior to pushback... if you have no extention, then one isn't buckled up! Sometimes we deal with some very hectic boardings, separated families, spilt lattes, seat dups, sick kids, steamer trunks, etc, and a seatbelt extension request made very early could slip the mind.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:18 am

IIRC the FAA does require that the seatbelt extension used be the one provided by the individual airline.
Well, that's nice, but I'd rather have the security of knowing I'm buckled in. I've seriously had the airplane be seconds away from taking off before the FA (who I've asked politely when boarding, giving my seat number, again when she walked by me, and again when she did her "check") remembers to hand me one. And I'm usually sitting in FC, so it's not like I'm hard to find.

It's not always that bad, but I've often wondered why the whole process isn't more streamlined. We're only getting fatter as a country, and pretending that there isn't a need for seat belt extensions is silly. Why not just hand them to people as they board if they ask for them? Surely that would be easier than hunting down the whole length of the plane for them, or waiting until after the seat belt demo (and seriously, if the only seat belt extension on board is the one for the seat belt demo -- that's just scary.)

Here's another thought -- maybe we could indicate the need for the extension by checking a box somewhere when we buy our ticket? I'd love to just find the extension waiting at my seat. I'm dreaming, I know ...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:02 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by TeaAddict
^ I usually try to buy an F seat to avoid the whole problem, but I'm thrilled to see that there's now a sensible and easy way to do this where it's not possible, such as on Horizon flights. Also, great to see all this specific information spelled out -- my experience trying to get phone agents to understand what I'm asking has been very poor in the past. Now all they need to do is make the second seat easy to book online, and I really won't have any complaints. (Other than waiting until we're rolling down the runway to get my seatbelt extension, but I've been thinking about buying my own anyway.)
You can book the second seat online, by using Firstname: EXST and your own last name.

However, you would end up paying up to $7 per segment more in taxes than you would over the phone, because XF and AY tax does not apply to a comfort seat. If the ticket gets refunded, it doesn't matter anyway, but you kinda have to weigh the benefits of paying more, against having to wait for an agent, then wait for them to manually price the ticket without those taxes.

You would still have to call in for the seat belt extension, unless you really did buy your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.