Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by anteater
The gate should be unblocking that for UGs prior to departure on E175. 🤞🏻
Source?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by dayone
Source?
Contact at AS. It’s a soft block until gate control. 737 should go out full in FC and 1C on the Airbus should remain blocked.

Also, I’ve been assigned that seat 1C* for several trips. 🤙🏻

I believe there was another thread regarding seat blocking where this topic was discussed.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 6, 2021 at 7:51 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by anteater
Contact at AS. It’s a soft block until gate control. 737 should go out full in FC and 1C on the Airbus should remain blocked.

Also, I’ve been assigned that seat 1D for several trips. 🤙🏻

I believe there was another thread regarding seat blocking where this topic was discussed.
I didn't have the thread when I posted this earlier in the week- but my 1D was much improved for SFO-LAS with 1C empty. Was wondering what was up with 1C on the E175. Sometimes empty, sometimes full. There may have been other empty seats on that flight too- can't recall. There was copious amounts of vino tinto involved.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS 1085 SEA-IAD 3/6/21. F had 4 or 5 seats open. In back on my saver fare 45 in the back
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS 1085 SEA-IAD 3/6/21. F had 4 or 5 seats open. In back on my saver fare 45 in the back
Look who it is?!!! Sad no upg, tis the life of saver.

AS110 ANC-SEA 3/11 1F seat open. 51 booked on flight that I saw on the monitor.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I don't think I could bring myself to fly saver on a flight that long.....do you ever get an "operational" upgrade when F is that empty at boarding?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
**Former frontline airline employee hat on**

Sometimes, the gate agent just doesn't have the TIME to clear the standby list or upgrade list. The job of the gate agent is to get everyone on the plane, and close that door for an on-time departure. Between last minute strollers/wheelchair/oversized carry-on the size of Denali/problems with tickets, who knows, and the bean counters in headquarters who decided 1 agent can board a 200 seat plane by themselves - its only going to get worse. The days of 3 agents working the gate are gone, heck, even 2 agents. Seems 1 agent is the new par for the course. At least on Delta, when your UG clears, and you scan your boarding pass, it spits out your new seat. Sabre doesn't work like that.

So as a 75K, yeah, it sucks when the door closes with an open seat in F. I've also been bumped or refused an upgrade due to weight & balance. So yeah, its nice when I get them, but if I don't, well I pout for a few minutes, then realize I probably have more room and space in Premium with that middle seat blocked......
Old Mar 11, 2021, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
**Former frontline airline employee hat on**

Sometimes, the gate agent just doesn't have the TIME to clear the standby list or upgrade list. The job of the gate agent is to get everyone on the plane, and close that door for an on-time departure. Between last minute strollers/wheelchair/oversized carry-on the size of Denali/problems with tickets, who knows, and the bean counters in headquarters who decided 1 agent can board a 200 seat plane by themselves - its only going to get worse. The days of 3 agents working the gate are gone, heck, even 2 agents. Seems 1 agent is the new par for the course. At least on Delta, when your UG clears, and you scan your boarding pass, it spits out your new seat. Sabre doesn't work like that.

So as a 75K, yeah, it sucks when the door closes with an open seat in F. I've also been bumped or refused an upgrade due to weight & balance. So yeah, its nice when I get them, but if I don't, well I pout for a few minutes, then realize I probably have more room and space in Premium with that middle seat blocked......
I pout, submit a note to Alaska Listens, get a $75 discount code, and move on with my life....lol.
UAPremierExec and anteater like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite the Thanksgiving travel rush, this must be the week for easy upgrades....the seat next to me in F on my flight Wednesday (PDX-BUR) and Friday (LAX-SEA) was empty and there was at least one other empty as well. I was kinda surprised the GAs didn't try to sell the seats over the intercom at the gate...its been awhile since I've heard any seat upsell announcements.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I never see empties on AS lately. What I see is what happened today: at T-1 hour, there were six empties in F SFO-PHX on an E75, and no one on the waitlist. Somehow the GAs managed to fill every seat. This is the third or fourth time I've seen similar in the past couple of months. I did not hear them pitching F at the gate (but we only got there about 10 minutes before boarding).
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
AS 3390 PHX-SFO today (11-26) 1A and 3C empty on Skywest E175 while the back was full
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Despite the Thanksgiving travel rush, this must be the week for easy upgrades....the seat next to me in F on my flight Wednesday (PDX-BUR) and Friday (LAX-SEA) was empty and there was at least one other empty as well. I was kinda surprised the GAs didn't try to sell the seats over the intercom at the gate...its been awhile since I've heard any seat upsell announcements.
A couple weeks ago I flew SEA>OGG and was in FC with one other soul (737 w/12 seats). It was a VERY empty flight but I also thought they'd try to at least get a few bucks somehow from folks wanting to upgrade. I suppose late in the game before takeoff it's hard to produce meals for everyone. Also, there's always the weight/balance thing.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell
A couple weeks ago I flew SEA>OGG and was in FC with one other soul (737 w/12 seats). It was a VERY empty flight but I also thought they'd try to at least get a few bucks somehow from folks wanting to upgrade. I suppose late in the game before takeoff it's hard to produce meals for everyone. Also, there's always the weight/balance thing.
Don't they cater for a full F cabin regardless of how many seats are filled? I don't think they'd be making changes to flight catering orders that close-in to departure. What if 10 people bought (expensive) F seats an hour before departure?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Don't they cater for a full F cabin regardless of how many seats are filled? I don't think they'd be making changes to flight catering orders that close-in to departure. What if 10 people bought (expensive) F seats an hour before departure?
That's a good question. The whole FC food thing with AS is always kind of a mystery. I've been told absolutely contradicting things from FAs on different flights about food options and whether or not a pre-ordered item follows me with an upgrade. I recently got an upgrade but had ordered a cheese plate and come meal time was told the cheese plate was my only option. I had even gone in right after the upgrade (T-48 hours) and couldn't select a different food item. Other times I've been told flat out they don't have any record of my order since I was upgraded and I could choose from the options (implying they had extra meals).

I can't imagine they pack a flight that has 2 FC passengers with 12 meals. It can't be that hard to just put the number of meals needed on a plane. AS strikes me as a great company but there is just something a bit off with the way information is distributed through the ranks. It's almost as if no one has ever realized the great invention of a "memo" to put everyone on the same page about some really basic things.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:22 pm

AS2201 430PM FAI-ANC 4/17/22 3 empty seats.

Was more; some nonrev's cleared into F.

https://www.alaskaair.com/status/2201/2022-04-16

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.