Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Does AS Need Another Merger to Counter JetBlue & Spirit Combo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21

With Jetblue making another noise on possible merger, this time with Spirit, AS could end up with diminished presence once again. Should Alaska make another move, eg. acquire Frontier, or something similar in maintaining viability?

Jiburi

F9 has fleet of A319/A320/A321. This would create another situation with Airbus fleet..... In addition, F9's DEN hub has two other hub operators, WN and UA. F9 is currently the low fare leader in the market.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
They should bid for B6
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bett...w_of_headlines

No.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: Costco Club
I think AS needs to focus on getting back to where they were operationally and work on regaining some credibility and trust among the public first and then yes acquire a Sun Country or something.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I wonder who AS is gonna merge with.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
It still seems like AS's biggest challenges revolve around its rejection of DL and possible expansion by WN, which has been eyeing the PNW and Alaska for awhile now to see if it can expand. Add in competition with WN and UA in the Bay Area and AS has a lot to consider beyond a combined NK/F9/B6.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:16 pm

I've still yet to see any benefits or positive outcomes from their last "catch and kill" acquisition.

Was it all for the mood lighting?

I didn't realize WN's Hawaii service size. That seemed like a final refuge for Alaska outside of.....Alaska.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
I didn't realize WN's Hawaii service size. That seemed like a final refuge for Alaska outside of.....Alaska.
WN keeps making upbeat noises about how well their Hawaii service is doing, but they look like they're mostly setting money on fire. I still can't figure out what possessed them to fly interisland. I'm sure they have the resources to own that market eventually, but they're flying a lot of empty planes and cheap fares in the meantime, and HA seems to have concluded that it doesn't need to match WN prices to fill HA planes.

On topic, it would be great for me personally if AS bought HA, but given their recent experiences with DL competition and the VX acquisition, I'm guessing they'd rather stick to organic growth for now.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Or who will go after AS?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Or who will go after AS?
RyanAir =p
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Or who will go after AS?
I don’t see any of the Big 4 being able to acquire anything else and pass regulatory review (at least for a while), and I don’t think anyone smaller can afford it.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Yes, AS should buy Delta. /sarcasm
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Considering Frontier and Spirit are merging, that's clearly not where AS is gonna go. FTC would never approve it anyway as you would essentially be eliminating the UUULCC/Bus in the sky market.

B6 makes the most sense.

AA swallowing us up is what's really gonna happen.
TheDudeAbides and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Or who will go after AS?
The rumor for today on airliners is UA making a bid for AS---obviously to be taken with a big grain of salt.

AS has unwittingly boxed themselves into an even smaller corner than they were in back in 2015. They are forced to keep all their focus on SEA to maintain the status quo there and have largely neglected the rest of the network.

In 2015, it was clear that the focus was on AK, SEA, PDX, SJC, LAX, SAN. Anybody in those areas could viably make AS their go-to airline and expect to see gradual expansion of services over time.

If they end up staying as an independent airline that is half the size of B6 after their buyout of NK, where does this leave them? They have not voiced any strategy at all as to where they will concentrate. Have been waiting for 6 years for them to figure it out and they don't seem to have made any progress at all. If anything it is even more unclear than ever.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
In retrospect, do you think AS would have been better off not dumbing down/eliminating Virgin, and kept it as a mainstream/higher end 2-pronged option like Jet Blue is planning to do mainstream/lower end with Spirit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.