Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty Seats in F?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:01 pm

3 or so empty on 12/25/18 SEA to PDX 6:00 PM-ish flight.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Funny this thread came up because I had an unusual experience that surprised me. I had to go to Europe with 12 hours notice and booked an award SEA-SFO on an A319. With two rows of first class, and it being an award ticket I thought there was no way I was getting upgraded which was fine by me for the hour flight. I was surprised to see I got the last seat assigned to me the next morning.

Is Alaska’s new policy (which I think was a long time coming) hold off on UG’s until day of or day before departure? In the past if I sat in coach, I’d routeinly be sitting next to a 75K or Gold who had a work buddy that was in first class who was MVP. When I would ask why they’d tell me how they had to booked last minute and the MVP co-worker had booked in advance, so he got the upgrade. If this is the new system, I think it’s much better so you are sure to reward your most loyal clientele. In the past seeing MVP’s in first while 75k’s and Gold’s were in coach I always felt it unfair.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Funny this thread came up because I had an unusual experience that surprised me. I had to go to Europe with 12 hours notice and booked an award SEA-SFO on an A319. With two rows of first class, and it being an award ticket I thought there was no way I was getting upgraded which was fine by me for the hour flight. I was surprised to see I got the last seat assigned to me the next morning.

Is Alaska’s new policy (which I think was a long time coming) hold off on UG’s until day of or day before departure? In the past if I sat in coach, I’d routeinly be sitting next to a 75K or Gold who had a work buddy that was in first class who was MVP. When I would ask why they’d tell me how they had to booked last minute and the MVP co-worker had booked in advance, so he got the upgrade. If this is the new system, I think it’s much better so you are sure to reward your most loyal clientele. In the past seeing MVP’s in first while 75k’s and Gold’s were in coach I always felt it unfair.
From the thread about how upgrades work, only 75ks have their own queue. If you are Gold and book after the MVP upgrade window opens, you will be behind all the MVPs who got moved to the waitlist when their window opened.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:50 pm

First row of 3 seats were empty on AS via WestJet for afternoon flight from DAL - SJC
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Is it better to book 2 seperate reservation for a 75K and an MVPG or both on the same reservation and thus assume the MVPG would then be in the same status as the 75K?

I’ve had occurrences in which I’ve been behind a MVPG when I’ve booked a reservation in which 75K was booked in conjunction with another MVPG. I assume they only had FC upgrade seat available and did not want to break up my party, this is a false assumption on their part. I would have preferred the separation and upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Is it better to book 2 seperate reservation for a 75K and an MVPG or both on the same reservation and thus assume the MVPG would then be in the same status as the 75K?

I’ve had occurrences in which I’ve been behind a MVPG when I’ve booked a reservation in which 75K was booked in conjunction with another MVPG. I assume they only had FC upgrade seat available and did not want to break up my party, this is a false assumption on their part. I would have preferred the separation and upgrade.
I think that the rule is, if you have a companion, they will either upgrade both of you or neither of you. This can cause you to miss out on an upgrade if they only release one U seat at a time.

Apparently if it goes to gate control, you can just tell the GA that you are willing to be split if only one seat is available and they will do it. I'm not sure if that's possible before that time, since it's automated.

If you are MVP (which doesn't get upgrades for companions) they don't even waitlist you for F if you are traveling with a non-status companion.

As for whether it's better to book one or two reservations, that's up to you. The upside of booking separate is that it's easier to get upgraded. The upside of a single res is that the Gold passenger will go on the 75k queue. There's no one right answer of what's "better" here... it's really up to you, depending on what you value more.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

[...]

If you are MVP (which doesn't get upgrades for companions) they don't even waitlist you for F if you are traveling with a non-status companion.

[...]
This has been discussed before. I have direct experience booking an itinerary for an MVP Elite and a non-status friend using a companion certificate. Both Parties were on the waitlist. Neither were upgraded but also not the last on the waitlist.

James.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
This has been discussed before. I have direct experience booking an itinerary for an MVP Elite and a non-status friend using a companion certificate. Both Parties were on the waitlist. Neither were upgraded but also not the last on the waitlist.

James.
That doesn't seem to be what usually happens, nor what it supposed to happen. I'm not sure what sequence of events caused that to happen in your case. It certainly doesn't match AS's published policy.

It certainly didn't happen for me when I (as MVP) booked an itinerary with me and a non-elite companion -- I was not waitlisted for F. And, when I moved us to Premium (inside the MVP upgrade window) I had to pay for the companion's seat assignment (but not mine).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:43 pm

That doesn't seem to be what usually happens, nor what it supposed to happen. I'm not sure what sequence of events caused that to happen in your case. It certainly doesn't match AS's published policy.

It certainly didn't happen for me when I (as MVP) booked an itinerary with me and a non-elite companion -- I was not waitlisted for F. And, when I moved us to Premium (inside the MVP upgrade window) I had to pay for the companion's seat assignment (but not mine).
I follow 100% what the T&C's say and agree with your interpretation of them. My experience is not unique and there has been at least one report of an actual successful upgrade of both parties. This might have been discussed before your arrival. I just wanted you to be aware as it may be something you want to keep an eye open for.

James.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I follow 100% what the T&C's say and agree with your interpretation of them. My experience is not unique and there has been at least one report of an actual successful upgrade of both parties. This might have been discussed before your arrival. I just wanted you to be aware as it may be something you want to keep an eye open for.

James.
There is so much stuff that happens that is not supposed to happen with AS's systems, I'm not even a little bit surprised by this.

I guess, my point was, don't expect to be able to do this (unless people have "cracked the code" and determined what causes this behavior). I wonder if things were somehow linked to your account in your case, and they got 75k treatment. Maybe the companion cert had something to do with it.

In my "vanilla" case, of an MVP booking a ticket with a non-MVP companion, and paying cash for everything, things worked as they were supposed to.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:35 pm

There is so much stuff that happens that is not supposed to happen with AS's systems, I'm not even a little bit surprised by this.

I guess, my point was, don't expect to be able to do this (unless people have "cracked the code" and determined what causes this behavior). I wonder if things were somehow linked to your account in your case, and they got 75k treatment. Maybe the companion cert had something to do with it.

In my "vanilla" case, of an MVP booking a ticket with a non-MVP companion, and paying cash for everything, things worked as they were supposed to.
I like your thinking process here. It was an MVP account gifted from me with her own companion certificate from her own CC account.

There is always an "if" even "if" there isn't one!

Hence, I always try to secure my upgrades without reliance on complimentary upgrades because my itineraries are hardly ever routine.

My last two flights of the year should have been Christmas Eve to PHX. I had to cancel my AS Recliner F seats in favour of a 7 night lie-flat in the hospital so those flights will be on December 31st. A nice end to the year that started with AS F to SFO on January 1st and EK J to DXB & JNB with a whole lot in between.

Happy New Year to everyone, even those not Flying for Fun.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like your thinking process here. It was an MVP account gifted from me with her own companion certificate from her own CC account.
My theory is that it's the companion cert. Maybe the whole process of doing whatever they do so that the companion can't travel alone also inadvertently gives inherited status? This wouldn't even be noticeable unless the primary passenger is exactly MVP.

I won't get my first companion cert until after I'm MVPG so I won't get to test this theory.

My last two flights of the year should have been Christmas Eve to PHX. I had to cancel my AS Recliner F seats in favour of a 7 night lie-flat in the hospital so those flights will be on December 31st
Sorry to hear that, and I hope that you feel better in the new year!
Old May 27, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There were 2 empty seats in the F cabin this morning on AS #449 JFK-PDX....I know it's a holiday, but I still thought it was odd to see empty seats on a transcon.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There were 2 empty seats in the F cabin this morning on AS #449 JFK-PDX....I know it's a holiday, but I still thought it was odd to see empty seats on a transcon.
And a 100% empty upgrade list when I just pulled it up on on the website. (I think upgrades done before gate control are not showing up on this list anymore.) Thats wild to see!
Old May 27, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
And a 100% empty upgrade list when I just pulled it up on on the website. (I think upgrades done before gate control are not showing up on this list anymore.) Thats wild to see!
I wonder if U space ever showed up to allow for paid upgrades....on a 5+ hour transcon flight, I would think they could find to people in Y willing to upgrade....never heard any announcement at the gate.
williwaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.