Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Working to Launch Inflight Wireless Internet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Working to Launch Inflight Wireless Internet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
On the power issue:

- I agree, laptop batteries last a minimum of 2 hours and the average is more like 3 or 4 hours nowadays (and don't reply with "not mine" because ill reply with "time to upgrade your dino") -- most AS flights are within that range, if you're doing transcon just buy another battery

On the Wifi internet:

- this is so great, you can chat with your friends/family during flights, browse the net and get so much done, I love it -- VOIP should fall under the same rules of us not being allowed to play music or a game aloud, the FA should just come over and ask he/she to turn it off, I don't see the big deal.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jameskwon
Who is the company "Row 44?"

On board internet service offered by Boeing "Connexion by Boeing" went out of business lastyear.
http://www.row44.com/

Connexion had much better coverage (i.e. over every continent but Africa, plus the North Atlantic and North Pacific) but "wasn't commercially viable."

Maybe so, but Connexion still exists - it was renamed Boeing Broadband Satcom Network and is now operated for the sole use of the US Air Force.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SEAFFLYER
At the July 19 Gold Lunch in Seattle, the AS exec in charge of the inflight wireless project stated that because of a) the enormous expense of installing individual seat power ports and b) the current (pardon the pun) and future advances in battery technology, there are no plans to so equip any of the planes.
What silliness. If you have to pick one thing or the other, you should pick seat power over wireless. That will provide a greater benefit to the largest number of customers.

It won't however give you a story in the press, which is what I suspect this is about anyway. Alaska may get some benefit at first when they put in wireless, but as soon as the business travelers they've courted from other airlines to try this start running out of juice on flights it will fade away and possibly even become a negative. Then some other airline will actually "do it right" by providing a whole package, every biz customer they gained and then some will leave, and that exec you mention will probably be looking for a new job somewhere.

BTW the (b) part of the statement is pretty inonsensical--PC makers think up new things to eat power faster than battery technology can keep up (like wifi and wireless cellular broadband)--and so is the "instead of paying more for a ticket invest it in an extra battery" concept. Cost for (most) business flyers is not the primary issue. Lugging around a bunch of heavy batteries in a carry-on is a dismal prospect on long trips and speaking personally something I just won't do.

I was reminded today when my laptop ran out of power half way through the flight why I have stopped flying Alaska very much for business despite the good service, nice 1st class upgrades, and very convenient routes out of seattle.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm a bit surprised that there are frequent business travelers on here who don't own a second battery to swap out during flght, if needed, rather than rely on onboard power. There is no similar alternative for Internet service onboard.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by dav3d
What silliness. If you have to pick one thing or the other, you should pick seat power over wireless. That will provide a greater benefit to the largest number of customers.
That's all your opinion.... i'm 180 degrees off from you as a passenger, and can see the economic benefit of doing wireless over power clearly from AS's point of view.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:59 am

If you need more power, buy a 2nd battery. If you're laptop case is too heavy, rethink what you're packing inside. If you decided to get the giant 17" widescreen heavy power-hungey model that eats batteries like candy and you want to spin your DVD drive the entire time, then don't blame Alaska... nor have the rest of us pay for the installation of on-board power for you.

Even on AS's longest flights, two batteries have been more than enough.

By the way... really looking forward to Internet being available!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
Originally Posted by dav3d
Wireless will eventually will pay for itself (better ROI) and is easier to install (less downtime for planes). I'm not positive on this, but I would imagine that installing the gear for at-seat outlets would be quite intensive, not fun, and (from what I hear) add quite a bit of weight to the plane. Outside of American, and the odd CO/DL flight that is continuing over water, have people actually had luck finding planes with power?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SPIT
If you need more power, buy a 2nd battery...nor have the rest of us pay for the installation of on-board power for you.

Even on AS's longest flights, two batteries have been more than enough.

By the way... really looking forward to Internet being available!
I just invested in an extended life battery from HP (the computer company =), and between the original and new one, I too can probably make it on a transcon. My issue will arise with a 1 hour turnaround in BOS... due to a PDX-BOS-PDX MR... The solution is we use my computer there, and my friends on the way back...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by whjensen
Outside of American, and the odd CO/DL flight that is continuing over water, have people actually had luck finding planes with power?
NW 330's to AMS and back. Worked well.

Originally Posted by beckoa
I just invested in an extended life battery from HP (the computer company =), and between the original and new one, I too can probably make it on a transcon. My issue will arise with a 1 hour turnaround in BOS... due to a PDX-BOS-PDX MR... The solution is we use my computer there, and my friends on the way back...
Hard to complain about such things when a 1hour turn is for a MR. You're making your bed, you should lie in it.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
Originally Posted by brarrr
NW 330's to AMS and back. Worked well.
Sorry, should have clarified - meant w/in continental US. I'm aware the majors offer it on the water flights.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Alaska Airlines Insider
Next Spring, Alaska Airlines will test an inflight wireless service on one of its aircraft. You'll be able to surf the Web, check email, and use any feature of your WiFi-enabled device that you'd like.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Hows the coverage over ocean water?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:57 am

Copied from the original press release:
-------------------------
Unlike air-to-ground services, Row 44's satellite-based system is designed to function over land, water and across international borders, enabling service throughout Alaska's route system in Alaska, the Lower 48 states, Hawaii, Canada and Mexico....

"Alaska's route system and their proven leadership using innovative technology make them an ideal airline for our system's flight testing and early deployment," said Gregg Fialcowitz, Row 44's president. "Deploying our service on their routes-with so many areas that can't be served by air-to-ground systems-is a perfect opportunity to highlight the benefits of our satellite-based system."
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by DKorda
Mid-ocean? Non-existent. The HughesNet beams cover North America. ANC-SEA might have coverage, but I'd be shocked if the Hawaii flights did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.