Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Working to Launch Inflight Wireless Internet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Working to Launch Inflight Wireless Internet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

GUESS WHERE I'M CALLING FROM
Can you hear me now?? Can you hear me now?????
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, but if you are NOT the seatmate being talked to, and two people are talking in your row... how is this different?
Summary:
Bystanders rated mobile-phone conversations as dramatically more noticeable, intrusive, and annoying than conversations conducted face-to-face. While volume was an issue, hearing only half a discussion also seemed to up the irritation factor.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
As long at it doesn't cost to much I think it will be great way to pass the time. Although I do like to nap on flights as well
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BOB W
Can you hear me now?? Can you hear me now?????
"Hey ... I can see your house from here!"
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:37 am

On-board power please...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jamespvg
On-board power please...
This was my first thought when I read the news, too...

On another note: not to be in favor of loud VoIP conversationalists, but one way around any Skype, etc. port blocking is that corporate VPN access they tout.

Of course, anyone with enough savvy to set up a VPN (or at least use a company-provided one) would have the common courtesy to speak softly into the phone. Perhaps we give FAs the ability to slam obnoxious people's laptops shut?

(I'm the rare type: when I'm necessarily on the phone in a public space like a restaurant or an airplane (before the door shuts, of course), I speak so softly that people right next to me (if any) can't even hear me, and the people on the other end of the connection hear me just fine. I wish everyone in the world could be forced to understand that...)
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Perhaps we give FAs the ability to slam obnoxious people's laptops shut?

(I'm the rare type: when I'm necessarily on the phone in a public space like a restaurant or an airplane (before the door shuts, of course), I speak so softly that people right next to me (if any) can't even hear me, and the people on the other end of the connection hear me just fine. I wish everyone in the world could be forced to understand that...)
Oh I have the ability (long enuf arms here)... what we lack is permission!!

Before anyone goes off on THAT tangent, know I'm laughing as I typed all this. "Excuse me sir, your yapping is too loud... <SLAM>... Thank you! " lmao

I'm the same way with my phone use in public... if my phone rings in a restaurant or similar place I either hit the 'ignore' button and silence my phone or if I answer simply I say "hold on one sec, I'll be right with you" and excuse myself to a more private location.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
Summary:
Bystanders rated mobile-phone conversations as dramatically more noticeable, intrusive, and annoying than conversations conducted face-to-face. While volume was an issue, hearing only half a discussion also seemed to up the irritation factor.
It's harder for people to tune-out of a conversation when they only hear half of it. Your mind tries to put that conversation back together, which is difficult.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:23 pm

Exclamation

HELLO?

No dancing around the issue here!

I don't want to hear it - half a conversation, clicks and pops and prompts to customized tones or other geeky fodder.

I hear it everywhere else - but keep the plane safe and sane!

PLEASE!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Although I typically hate flying American (due to no crappy seats we always get) it's kind of nice having that power outlet in the seat. Hopefully AS would consider power in FC, rows 6-9 and Emergency exit rows... please, please, please!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DKorda
Although I typically hate flying American (due to no crappy seats we always get) it's kind of nice having that power outlet in the seat. Hopefully AS would consider power in FC, rows 6-9 and Emergency exit rows... please, please, please!
At least, but I would imagine that probably the greatest expense of installing any services is having the plane out of service. It costs millions per day (from what I understand) to have a plane sit and not make money.

Since each plane will be out of service for presumably a relatively substantial time to get the Internet service itself installed, it can't be that much more to have some guys wire up the plane with a few (or a lot of) EmPower or, even better, standard AC outlets. Aid it certainly would be cheaper to install them in all rows at once than to install them in F and the bulkhead/exit rows and later find out that popular demand requires them to pull the plane back out of service and install them in the rest of the rows...

(I know it's not that simple, but still...)
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Have to second the "on board power please" request.

Putting in wireless without putting in any power ports is pretty silly. What good does wifi do you on a flight if your computer runs out of juice?

I like Alaska a lot but not having power points (even in first) is a big reason I fly other airlines transcon sometimes even if there is an AL flight.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
The issue has been raised on here many times about onboard power and it sounds like it is not going to happen. Someone even said they would pay more per ticket if they could get the outlets and someone else said take that extra money you would pay per ticket and put it towards an extra battery.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Who is the company "Row 44?"

On board internet service offered by Boeing "Connexion by Boeing" went out of business lastyear.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
At the July 19 Gold Lunch in Seattle, the AS exec in charge of the inflight wireless project stated that because of a) the enormous expense of installing individual seat power ports and b) the current (pardon the pun) and future advances in battery technology, there are no plans to so equip any of the planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.