Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Long wait for bags - just de riguer nowadays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long wait for bags - just de riguer nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:29 am

Programs: Alaska Air MVP - Yeah, you're jealous, I can tell
Along with shl1108 I've had problems with baggage. The last two times I've flown DCA-ANC I've been standing at the baggage carousel and have waited and waited only to find out that my bags were off on a little adventure of their own and AS would let me know hopefully by the morning where the bags are. I've flown Alaska for as long as I can remember and would like to stay a customer but I'm seriously contemplating switching carriers just to test things out and see what the service is like.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
AS and QX have more baggage carrousels in use at SEA than in the past. QX, I believe, usually comes in on 12, while AS now comes in on 13, 14 and lately some flights coming in on 15 as well according to the monitors. Hopefully spreading things out a bit will at least help to relieve crowding, if not result in faster baggage delivery times.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Thread revival... Is it just me or is Seatac in particular just plain slow?

Is it a Menzies thing?

It seems as if 50% of the time I check a bag into Seatac it is right down to the wire on the 20 minute mark. Part of the time I don't bother trying to get the certificate as it is not really worthwhile from a time standpoint.

I did learn that oversized baggage is not covered by the guarantee.

Surprisingly slow bag delivery in SEA - even at 12:30 AM.

On the way up to ANC - honestly my bag beat me to the carousel and I was sitting up front.

Crazy.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I consider 20 minutes pretty darn good, especially since it's measured from the time the aircraft parks at the gate. By the time I get off the plane, stop at the restroom, and make my way to baggage claim, my bag is almost always there. Average seems to be about 13 minutes from gate park time.

I don't really buy the argument that the 20 minute guarantee isn't worth your time. Once 20 minutes has elapsed, go to the baggage counter and collect your cert. If you're still waiting for your bag you have to be there anyway, so it's not a waste of your time. $20 a pop is pretty generous, especially considering no other airline has such an on-time guarantee backed by compensation.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:53 pm

Fair enough. When I'm picking up my bag and we're at 24 minutes and I've been away for a week I'd rather just leave.

It just seems to me that most everywhere I fly besides Seatac seems to be faster.

I do like your plan though - right to the counter at minute 20 next time.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:09 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
We came in yesterday 6/19/2012- - approx. 4:45 pm- had time to walk from "D" gates- stoped at the restroom- got to the carosel- and there were the bags, all of them- I thought it was great service. took more time to get the bus to the car rental area, all that took more time than when the rental agencies were on site. Progress I hear- rlb
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by rlb
We came in yesterday 6/19/2012- - approx. 4:45 pm- had time to walk from "D" gates- stoped at the restroom- got to the carosel- and there were the bags, all of them- I thought it was great service. took more time to get the bus to the car rental area, all that took more time than when the rental agencies were on site. Progress I hear- rlb
Sweet!

I hope my next flight baggage experience is that smooth.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
In Spokane, I've collected my share of certs when on a 737.

The turboprop planes --- never.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
It just seems to me that most everywhere I fly besides Seatac seems to be faster.
Do you ever fly Delta? I have waited 45 minutes multiple times.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Honestly I try to avoid Delta whenever possible.

I've had my luggage lost twice - both times they were by Delta in ATL.

My favorite bag situation is actually the Ala Carte. Excellent IMO.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:12 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by sxf24
Me too, even in ANC where AS can do it in 20 minutes!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Ugh. SEA-PDX? In the rain? With the entire plane waiting for two carts worth of bags? Ugh.

Neil
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by missamo80
Ugh. SEA-PDX? In the rain? With the entire plane waiting for two carts worth of bags? Ugh.

Neil
Gets pretty messy if too many wicked witches are onboard, especially when the melted green mess gets on your shoes.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Neil
Gets pretty messy if too many wicked witches are onboard, especially when the melted green mess gets on your shoes.
Its a bit of a shocker to get off from HNL into BLI pour
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Neil
I have since learned to wait onboard until I see the cart being pushed out. They generally get the cart out quicker than other airlines get bags into the jetway.

Honestly I try to avoid Delta whenever possible.

I've had my luggage lost twice - both times they were by Delta in ATL.

I was surprised to see United Express doing A La Cart (although not so branded ) on a recent Q200 flight. Turns out the idea is far from original to AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.