Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Long wait for bags - just de riguer nowadays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long wait for bags - just de riguer nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
With respect to the OP's comments, I agree that bags seem to be taking longer on average at SEA than in past years. As I've mentioned on othere threads, in past years when arriving at SEA you would hear FAs say something like "Your bags will be available in about 15 minutes..." I haven't heard them say that in a while.

I'm not saying they always take a long time, but my colleagues and I seem to experience more variability.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
What came first, the decrease in amenities and service an airline provides, or rock bottom fares. I think, if you look back, you have to agree that the airlines started reducing services and amenities after the fares started falling to unsustainable levels...My point to all this is that people were demanding low fares when airlines were still offering many amenities (magazines, pillows/blankets, meals, snacks, etc.) and services (paper ticketing, city ticket offices, etc.). Low fares definetely came first.
Bingo. If fares remain "sustainable", then so does the service. UA now only offers complimentary meals (hot meals) in Economy between SFO/LAX and JFK on their p.s. route, because those fares average $400 round-trip vs. the $200 round-trip from ONT/LAX/BUR/OAK/SFO to LGA/EWR.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
I think most people have had experience on more than one airline and, with the exception of Southwest, realize that each offers a nearly identical (and unpredictable) inflight experience. Why pay more to fly AA instead of UA when AA is unwilling to guarantee that the $100 buys anthing more than what UA is offering (a seat on the flight)? Everone knows that the person who paid $1000 for their coach seat is going to get exactly the same service as the person who paid $99. Why would anyone want to be that $1000 chump?
Actually, Southwest seems to take longer on baggage than most. My experience on Southwest is a minimum of 20 minutes (up to 45 minutes) to get baggage. It's just that not many people check bags on Southwest! When I asked the agent what was taking so long, she said that the baggage handlers were instructed to get the flights out first and then deliver any baggage to the claim area. In addition, the baggage handlers apparently handle 3 or 4 gates (this was at WN's HOU "hub") which were all occupied.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Yup. Too many AS customers would rather have low fares and poor service then high fares and good service, so AS continues to replace their own expensive ramp workers with cheap outsourced ones.
High fares does not equate to better service. If SWA or B6 can offer good service for the same or lower fares, then there's something not adding up. Besides, I don't think if AS charged high fares that the servcice would necessarily be any better. I remember pre 9/11 paying Y fares transcon that were over $2k and I don't think the service warranted $2k fares.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
With respect to the OP's comments, I agree that bags seem to be taking longer on average at SEA than in past years. As I've mentioned on othere threads, in past years when arriving at SEA you would hear FAs say something like "Your bags will be available in about 15 minutes..." I haven't heard them say that in a while.
I've heard FA's joke coming into SEA, "with any luck your bags will be available sometime later this week."
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toadman
High fares does not equate to better service. If SWA or B6 can offer good service for the same or lower fares, then there's something not adding up.
Well WN and B6 have lower operating costs, tailor their destination networks to only those city-pairs that consistently bring in high-loads, and have ingrained in the public conscience that they are always lower then anyone else, yet by not being part of "fare search engines", can indeed maximize revenues by offering less "cheap seats" but making people think their "cheapest fare" is cheaper then what the others are charging.

So unless you look at AS and WN, you may not realize that AS is $129 and WN is $159. You just assume WN's $159 is the cheapest and AS must be more expensive. And when WN announces a $49 fare, even if they only make two available, AS has to offer more then two seats at $49 because otherwise people will look at AS, see that it's $99 and believe they're being ripped off and book with WN (which may be $89 by that point for a different time while AS is $79 for the same time, but they didn't look and assume AS is always $99).

In the end, you can't but help be impressed with WN's marketing strategy. I wonder how many former members of the KGB's Eighth Chief Directorate went to work for their marketing department after 1992...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bingo. If fares remain "sustainable", then so does the service. UA now only offers complimentary meals (hot meals) in Economy between SFO/LAX and JFK on their p.s. route, because those fares average $400 round-trip vs. the $200 round-trip from ONT/LAX/BUR/OAK/SFO to LGA/EWR.
Well, fares on SFO-PDX are now about 50% higher than they were five years ago. Where is my three course meal in F?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:35 am

Well, fares on SFO-PDX are now about 50% higher than they were five years ago. Where is my three course meal in F?
I think jet fuel was about $1/gallon 5 years ago. So your 3 course meal is sitting in the fuel truck.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toadman
I think jet fuel was about $1/gallon 5 years ago. So your 3 course meal is sitting in the fuel truck.
Yeah, but UA is able to offer a free meal on a 5000 mile flight (SFO-JFK) at an average of $400 per fare, but AS is unable to offer a free meal on an 1100 mile flight (SFO-PDX) at an average of $200 per fare? It doesn't make sense until your realize that the meal service is completely unrelated to the fare paid. You think UA would offer PS at all if AA didn't offer three class internationally configured flights on LAX/SFO-JFK?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:25 pm

Yeah, but UA is able to offer a free meal on a 5000 mile flight (SFO-JFK) at an average of $400 per fare, but AS is unable to offer a free meal on an 1100 mile flight (SFO-PDX) at an average of $200 per fare? It doesn't make sense until your realize that the meal service is completely unrelated to the fare paid. You think UA would offer PS at all if AA didn't offer three class internationally configured flights on LAX/SFO-JFK?
If AA didn't offer the 3 class LAX/SFO-JFK route, UA would probably go to a 2 class business/first configuration, since they would be getting ALL of the Screen Actors Guild business! This is a very unique route, and not a good one to use as a comparison.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I know SFO/LAX-JFK is the one "fluke route" in North America that actually has consistent demand for three-class paid F. But UA flies three-class equipment between LAX/SFO and IAD and they don't serve meals in Economy on those flights.

The main reason UA's Economy fares on that route are so expensive is because of lack of capacity (72 seats), and not because UA is offering a meal. Does AA feed folks in Economy on their Flagship Service?

That same lack of capacity might explain why SFO-PDX is so high.

And considering inflation, 50% over five years is probably underperforming and AS is probably making less RASM now with the higher fare then they were five years ago at the cheaper fare.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:11 pm

Yes I know SFO/LAX-JFK is the one "fluke route" in North America that actually has consistent demand for three-class paid F. But UA flies three-class equipment between LAX/SFO and IAD and they don't serve meals in Economy on those flights.

The main reason UA's Economy fares on that route are so expensive is because of lack of capacity (72 seats), and not because UA is offering a meal. Does AA feed folks in Economy on their Flagship Service?

That same lack of capacity might explain why SFO-PDX is so high.

And considering inflation, 50% over five years is probably underperforming and AS is probably making less RASM now with the higher fare then they were five years ago at the cheaper fare.
Well, the topic is kind of wandering, but I think that they would do well to actually communicate to the customers what services and amenities to expect. How about a guarantee that your bags will be available within 30 mins of landing or you get 500 miles, similar to the express line guarantee.

They would also do well to tell you exactly what to expect on the website, with the flight listings. "Snack" is not very descriptive. That doesn't tell me that I'll enjoy a warmed breakfast pastry. Or that on evening flights I might enjoy a warm cookie. (Do they really still do these? That's what the website currently says!) Having been on UA flights, I know that I'll get some kinda granola bar in the morning, and snack mix in the evening. All other things being equal, I might like a cookie. I think that the services are so haphazzard that the average flyer never knows what to expect, so they assume and plan for nothing. If they plan for nothing, then all the cookies and breakfast pastries around aren't going to influence anyone's decision.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Well, the topic is kind of wandering, but I think that they would do well to actually communicate to the customers what services and amenities to expect. How about a guarantee that your bags will be available within 30 mins of landing or you get 500 miles, similar to the express line guarantee.
The OP here... that gets back to my question which may not be answerable... does Alaska have any kind of metrics or standards with regards to baggage availability? Or, to put it more blunty, do they give a crap at all about how long it takes to get bags in Seattle? And that isn't meant as a slam: I love AS. I fly AS alot. Etc. But, it may very well be that it doesn't matter a whit to their business if I wait 10 minutes or 60 minutes for bags. I just wish I knew if that were the case.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:04 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I've been highly critical of AS in the last two years and I have had poor baggage service and long waits. But, I have to report a positive experience.

I recently flew AS RT SEA-OAK and bags came w/i 10 minutes of arriving at the gate at both ends. Admittedly, I was traveling mid-day so it wasn't peak travel time, but I was still pleasantly surprised.

The only downer was that bags started rolling out before the flight was posted on the overhead signs at SEA -- a problem, I've witnessed many times.

Last edited by wth; Jan 18, 2006 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS
I've had baggage problems with AS showing a big difference in the past 6 months (worse that is).
Waiting for bags to load the plane, waiting for bags to come down baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.