Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Juneau

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:58 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
A few thoughts after reading this thread:

Aspen Hotel has crummy commercials. They might have good rooms, but the "local tv" commercials absolutely suck.

As long as the cloud cover isn't too thick (JNU is "socked in" a lot) either side of the aircraft will afford good views. I don't think one is better than the other. The approach to JNU is cool and unique in all the world. Enjoy it!

I'd add my recommendations to Mendenhall Glacier and just to driving around in general. You can't go too far, and it's next to impossible to get lost, so drive around and enjoy the lushness that is SE Alaska.

I don't have any fishing recommendations, sorry.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS, IHG
Originally Posted by Junkie
Alison & AS Flyer-

I changed my itin so i can Fish for a day while i am there. On my new flights i can have Either 6A or 6F.

In your experience, which side of the AC has a more scenic view during Descent & landing (from SEA) and During Takeoff and Ascent (to SEA).

Also, Any advice on local fishing guide (Salmon & Halibut) for a 1/2 or full day trip?

Thanks Again
Odds are you will have cloud cover near to Juneau. I love the approach to JNU, you feel like you should just drop a line you are coming in so low.

For the SEA/JNU flights you might try to be on the East side of the plane in the event the cloud cover clears. Yesterday morning I flew up to JNU from SEA, aisle on the east side, what little I could see was pretty majestic. I just came back down window seat on the west side and while there is a view, you don't really get to see the glaciers much.

I really can't help you with the fishing other than name some places whose ads I've seen. I'll ask around though.

If you're looking for dinner, I kinda like The Hangar. It seems to be popular with the locals which is always a bonus in my book.

Alison
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:31 pm

I would heartily recommend the Hangar as well. They have great fish and chips and a great variety of ice cold beer on tap. In addition, on weekend nights, they have a cover bands that are usually pretty good.

I'm sorry, I also don't know of any fishing outfits but I'll bet the hotel could help you out if you call them in advance. I know you'll have a great time though.

I like the D/F side for the arrival down Gastineau Channel approach, but either side provides a very nice view.

I know you'll have a great time, please report back and let us know how you liked it!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Enjoy Juneau! It's beautiful! I stayed at the hostel there, so I don't have much advice, but in case anyone wants to know, it was dirt cheap, run by a great couple, very clean, and full of interesting people!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
FWIW, I went to the Hangar in July, and both I and the S.O. thought the food there was terrible. There's another restaurant in the same building (at the end; it has some tables inside and outside; I've fogotten its name) that we went to the following day and that was much better.

While we're way off topic on restaurant recommendations, check out the Silverbow bakery which is great. It is next to the Silverbow Inn.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
I've heard that the Thai place in Auke Bay village (a mile toward town from the ferry terminal) is serviceable, which may make it the best place in town.

Don't know about hotels, since I've just moved here, but will post any experiences.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Talking

Tied answer to original question

Last edited by BOB W; Aug 18, 2005 at 7:49 pm Reason: Tied answer to original question
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Talking Easy

Originally Posted by Junkie
Alison & AS Flyer-
In your experience, which side of the AC has a more scenic view during Descent & landing (from SEA) and During Takeoff and Ascent (to SEA).
Easy rule of thumb...

Left hand side southbound
Right hand side going north

(facing forward from your seat)

That way you will usually sea the coastline, weather permitting.

Right hand side southbound
Left hand side going north

will almost guarantee a rather boring view of the ocean.

so 6A JNU-SEA
& 6F JNU-SEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.