Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is MVP status lost?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
When is MVP status lost?

I earned my MVP status in mid 2001, and was under the impression that it expired end of 2002. I didn't fly enough to earn status during 2002, so should it not have expired end of 2002? As I'm checking my account balance, it still says "MVP" status with activity dated January of this year. So my account has been updated with miles for the new year, but the status is MVP. Don't get me wrong, I hope to remain MVP, but just wondering when I lose the status.

Also: What's to stop me from continuing to flash my MVP card so that I can board early even when I do lost my status?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajcopley:
Also: What's to stop me from continuing to flash my MVP card so that I can board early even when I do lost my status?</font>
Your sense of good conscience and ethics stop you. The card may change color from time to time, too.

As far as when you lose your status, that occurs, medically, when the "Highmen" is broken, occuring at altitude 33,500' on the first flight after your status does not exist anymore. At that altitude, your Highmen (the substance that keeps your MVP card together, nice and tight) will rupture and your card will self-pulverize into a cloud of dust. And at that point, you will have lost your status.

Old Jan 10, 2003, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
It will be interesting, ajcopley, to see if your status still shows as MVP on Monday. My online year-to-date miles total shown in the MVP qualification section still contains my 2002 flight miles -- as if the AS system still "thinks" it's 2002 in some sense. The next update should be this weekend, so I'll be looking to see if my year-to-date miles will reset at that time. Perhaps your online status will update then as well? If not, maybe you got lucky.

And as for you, Eastbay, is it maybe time for a vacation?

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited 01-10-2003).]
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL, UA, WN
I was on AS flight 17 from MIA-SEA on Dec. 31st. The flight was cancelled and ended up going out the next morning. There were several of us who needed the miles to get our MVP or MVP Gold status for this year. I told everyone that I was sure that AS would give us credit for the miles in 2002 since that is when we were supposed to travel. I checked my acct. a few days later expecting my status to have changed and noticed that I was still Gold. When I called the mileage plan the CSR said that on the 12th the accts. would be updated. She also said as soon as the miles posted for the delayed flight I could call and get them credited to 2002 if needed. I hope that they post real soon, or I will go from Gold status to no status in a couple of days.
Dan
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:39 pm

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Your status expires on the last day of December, 2002. I flew on Jan. 3rd and the web check-in miles posted within a couple of days. Normally the flight miles post at the same time and usually within a couple of days after the flight. They still haven't posted and I'm assuming that's because they have not yet determined who made MVP and who didn't so they are holding up before they post the bonus points.Received our new MVP cards a couple days ago, but still no points. Funny thing is that I booked another flight right after the 1st and it let me pick seats that are reserved for MVP. I wonder what would happen to my seat choices if I didn't make MVP?

BTW Your MVP card does have an expiration date on it.

------------------
"A day without Points is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
FWIW,
Your new status is now posted on alaskaair.com.

YTD miles : 0
miles needed for MVPgold: 0

web check in miles posted for 1/1 flight, but no mileage credit posted yet

however, card won't show up for months
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Well, my question has officially been answered. I'm no longer MVP (boohoo!). Status now officially "ACTIVE". Any way they'd be willing to extend my MVP status another year - maybe if I call them up and beg????
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I got kicked all the way down from MVP Gold to member. I called pleading about going to MVP, was told no. This was confirmed by a supervisor. I was told that I had gotten an exception last year. Everybody did due to 9/11.
No matter what I said, it was useless. I guess they really want to purge the rolls.
This was a very un-Alaska like move.
Kind of disappointed. But I'll live.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LA2CDG:
I got kicked all the way down from MVP Gold to member. I called pleading about going to MVP, was told no. This was confirmed by a supervisor. I was told that I had gotten an exception last year. Everybody did due to 9/11.
No matter what I said, it was useless. I guess they really want to purge the rolls.
This was a very un-Alaska like move.
Kind of disappointed. But I'll live.
</font>
Just curious...how short were you of qualifying? Did they send you the offer in Q4 to fly x segments/automatic requal?

-Steve
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:27 pm

No offense but I am glad they are sticking to the rules this year. I am normally morally opposed to mileage runs but I did Port Angeles-Seattle-Portland on Dec 31 to get the 2000 bonus miles and qualify for the "6 segments to keep your status" offer. I very nearly did not do it because I got the same offer last year, did nothing and I got my status renewed anyway. Glad to hear I did not waster my time/money.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smantl01:
Just curious...how short were you of qualifying? Did they send you the offer in Q4 to fly x segments/automatic requal?

-Steve
</font>
I had about 10K miles on Alaska. I did not receive the 4th qtr email.

BigKing, I am with you when it comes to sticking to the rules, I was just surprised that they dropped me two levels. I was thinking I would go down to MVP.

[This message has been edited by LA2CDG (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:44 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigKing:
I did Port Angeles-Seattle-Portland on Dec 31 to get the 2000 bonus miles and qualify for the "6 segments to keep your status" offer.</font>
BigKing I'm curious about something regarding your Port Angeles leg of the trip. When you arrived how did they handle getting into the security area as the door is normally secured for the next departing flight. Were thay making some allowances for the people doing mileage runs? I live in Port Angeles and think the people that work Horizon up here are some of the best in the system. Wish I could say the same for the Seattle gate agents.

Not surprised they are clamping down on issuing MVP status. With the free upgrade policy and such they probably need to thin the ranks a little. Like you we weren't willing to lose the status so made a run to Seattle from Port Angeles to fill the last couple of legs.

------------------
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:55 pm

Superd1 - I am not sure I understand your question but when i returned to Port Angeles I entered the terminal building through a door toward the right hand side of the building, not the same door that we left in the morning. This took me into an unsecure area where the newstand and ticket counter are located. For the 6-8 people who were taking the flight back to Seattle (Dec 31 was a popular day for mileage runs) the gate agent came out to the plane and told the FA that those people should stay on board and the agents would come out to the plane and do security check on-board. So I guess the gate agents in Port Angeles are pretty customer service oriented now that you mention it.

[This message has been edited by BigKing (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
I have been MVP Gold for the last 2 years and MVP for a couple before that. This year I didn't even qualify for MVP. For awhile into 2003 I was still showing MVP Gold, but yesterday I looked and my status had been reduced to "Active".
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigKing:
Superd1 - When I returned to Port Angeles I entered the terminal building through a door toward the right hand side of the building, not the same door that we left in the morning. This took me into an unsecure area where the newstand and ticket counter are located. For the 6-8 people who were taking the flight back to Seattle (Dec 31 was a popular day for mileage runs) the gate agent came out to the plane and told the FA that those people should stay on board and the agents would come out to the plane and do security check on-board. So I guess the gate agents in Port Angeles are pretty customer service oriented now that you mention it.</font>
I didn't realize that you had left from Port Angeles, so that's why my question didn't make sense. Guess I just assumed you went to Seattle first. You did answer my question. I was wondering how they were handling people who wanted to return on the same flight since they secure the waiting area before the flight arrives and if you got off the plane you wouldn have to get on the next flight some 3+ hours later. Thanks for the response.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.