Wiki Posts
Search

MVPG -> NW experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2002, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW PE, AS MVPG
MVPG -> NW experiences

I'm looking for opinions on NW overseas flights, specifically MVPG experiences flying NW from SEA-AMS.

Here's the longer story.

In previous years I've focused my miles on supporting UA/*A partners. I typically fly SAS to Sweden every 2 months and some domestic flying so it's been easy to maintain Star Alliance Gold. But some things have caused me to rethink whether I should support the AK/NW partnership.

- SAS flights from SEA-CPH are increasingly full and tougher to upgrade from coach
- cannot buy SAS upgrades with points from United
- While SAS has dirt cheap coach fares at times, their business fares remain high
- AK now flies to the east coast which makes me not need UA at all now

The benefits of SAS:
- the new A340s are very nice, even in coach
- SAS on-time percentage is amazing...2 1-hr delays in over 2 years of regular flights
- I like their schedule
- I generally like their service

So with my MVPG extended another year, is flying NW overseas any better of an experience? Should I dump UA-MP completely?

Thx
Old Nov 12, 2002, 1:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GMCTurbo:
I'm looking for opinions on NW overseas flights, specifically MVPG experiences flying NW from SEA-AMS.

[...]

So with my MVPG extended another year, is flying NW overseas any better of an experience?
</font>
AS MVPG means very, very little to you when flying NW internationally. You don't get upgrade certificates or the equivalent that can be used on NW internationally, you can't use AS miles for upgrading your NW international flights, and MVPG status alone doesn't give you access to NW lounges.

MVPG status does provide a 100% mileage bonus when you credit (any) NW flights to AS Mileage Plan and any actual mileage flown on NW does count towards requalifying for MVP/Gold status.

Old Nov 12, 2002, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Correct on the lack of NW upgrades using AS miles. That is one part of the program which needs revisiting.

What it does get you is preferred seating. As MVP and MVP Gold I have gotten bulkhead and Exit Row seating at the time of booking. Which on a 9 hour flight does make a difference. Sometimes you have to "nudge" the NW reservation agent regarding AS MVP preferred seating but I have always gotten the seats.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 3:54 pm

Completely agree with the two previous posts. However, it did come in handy recently. Was flying SFO/NRT/BKK. During my connection in Narita, I was standing around waiting to board my flight to BKK. Overheard my name called out by a gate agent. Walked up and she said that coach was oversold and "because you are" and she pointed to the NW boarding pass which showed Alaska MVP Gold on the bottom of it, "you have been upgraded to WBC". I have no status with NW. That was a pleasant surprise. So all the way over in Japan, AS MVPG comes thru. Not that I would count on this happening to often though.

CS
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW PE, AS MVPG
Thanks for the tips! That all sounds a bit disappointing. I've actually had pretty good success getting comp'd upgrades on SAS flights because of Star Alliance Gold status.

Part of the reason I wanted to switch was that doing my overseas legs on NW will keep my MVP-G which I utilize a LOT since my domestic flying is now almost exclusively AK.

Hmmmmm.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold
As is stated earlier in the thread, nothing is certain.

In my last SEA-HNL-NRT-SEA trip on NW, my wife and I were upgraded on the SEA-HNL segment and the NRT-SEA segements. I am a AS Gold and she has no status.

On the NRT-SEA segment, it was not until we gave the gate agent our passes and the machine beeped, that we knew of the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.