Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Do Purchased Miles Count as EQM for 75K, 100K? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Purchased Miles Count as EQM for 75K, 100K? (No)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Question Do Purchased Miles Count as EQM for 75K, 100K? (No)

I received an “Exclusive VIP offer awaits” email from Alaska yesterday selling bonus miles. What caught my attention was in the fine print.
Rule 3. Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP Gold status. are non
Does this imply that purchased miles DO count towards 75k and 100k status?
Old May 8, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Beebokay56
I received an “Exclusive VIP offer awaits” email from Alaska yesterday selling bonus miles. What caught my attention was in the fine print.
Rule 3. Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP Gold status. are non
Does this imply that purchased miles DO count towards 75k and 100k status?
No, purchased miles do not count for elite status. One can dream..
75k and 100k are variants of MVP Gold.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
No, purchased miles do not count for elite status. One can dream..
This dream would be my nightmare. In my view, EQMs should only be earned by flying. I say this as someone who is earning the maximum AS BOA EQM bonus this year.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
This dream would be my nightmare. In my view, EQMs should only be earned by flying. I say this as someone who is earning the maximum AS BOA EQM bonus this year.
What harm does giving status to those who don’t fly actually do. The benefits basically scale with the amount of flying you do. The upgrades, priority boarding, free bags etc aren’t very valuable for those never stepping on a plane.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
What harm does giving status to those who don’t fly actually do. The benefits basically scale with the amount of flying you do. The upgrades, priority boarding, free bags etc aren’t very valuable for those never stepping on a plane.
But why accumulate miles at all if one is "never stepping on a plane"? I suppose one could argue that he/she is intending to use them for gifted awards or awards for personal use. But, given the way miles get devalued in time, wouldn't it be better to simply purchase tickets for whatever desired class and use $$$ to pay? Whenever I compute the price of a ticket vs the price paid for purchased miles for such ticket, the direct purchase always appears more economical.

Also, should the day come when the flyer with purchased status desires to get an upgrade, will all the paid eqm really balance out more economically vs upgrading on the website with cash? So, I agree that eqm shouldn't be "purchased" as a rule, although I and wife have used the credit card spend for the extra 20K eqm last year. That said, we go well over the 100k mark anyway and have enjoyed the rollover that Mr Minicucci authorized. I mean, those were flown miles I could have flown somewhere else. I give Ben high marks for keeping that incentive.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
You may want to keep an eye on the direction that AS is heading, as EQM/loyalty is shifting from BIS to overall dollars in ecosystem. Days past of BIS being the measure of loyalty are fading.

As for the other comment regarding risk of dilution, it exists. If people are able to accrue status without yet having flown, they are incentivized to choose AS over another carrier. When they do take a flight, the dilution has an impact.

AS wants to maximize revenue and they decided that ecosystem spend is an increasingly valuable component*.

And as for the thread.. it is correct that at present purchasing miles does not earn EQM. Given AS' direction, I wouldn't dismiss AS entertaining promotions that would allow EQM accrual via RDM purchase in the future.

🤙🏻🥃
flytoeat likes this.

Last edited by anteater; May 8, 2024 at 4:33 pm
Old May 8, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by anteater
You may want to keep an eye on the direction that AS is heading, as EQM/loyalty is shifting from BIS to overall dollars in ecosystem. Days past of BIS being the measure of loyalty are fading.

As for the other comment regarding risk of dilution, it exists. If people are able to accrue status without yet having flown, they are incentivized to choose AS over another carrier. When they do take a flight, the dilution has an impact.

AS wants to maximize revenue and they decided that ecosystem spend is an increasingly valuable metric.

🤙🏻🥃
I'm happy to live of the fat of my Taller Half's desire to keep up with her MM/100K status if that is the case.
anteater likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anteater

And as for the thread.. it is correct that at present purchasing miles does not earn EQM. Given AS' direction, I wouldn't dismiss AS entertaining promotions that would allow EQM accrual via RDM purchase in the future.

🤙🏻🥃
Or maybe some sort of EQM&RDM boost you can buy when you buy a ticket. UA had killed sacred cow of “no purchasing of EQM” (“Elite Maximizer”) more than a decade ago.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I don't mind buying miles if I'm looking at international in F...that's a pretty good deal sometimes. Or of course, for a minor top up. But, frankly, using miles for domestic is usually a pricey option. It's all a game and, just like being at the table, the little guy isn't usually going to win big. Happy travels!
Old May 10, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75
If you use purchased miles as part of a 'money & miles' ticket, you will earn both EQM and RDM on that ticket. Not the best value proposition but available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.