Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,PC Plat,MR Lifetme Titanium,Ex-CO Plat,UA 1K

Last week I checked my reservation for a trip next week and was offered a chance to purchase EQMs, at that time the rate was .10 per mile. Last night I checked again and the rate seems to have gone up to .12 per mile. Gotta love it! Mileage run here I come if necessary!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by afCAMEO
Last week I checked my reservation for a trip next week and was offered a chance to purchase EQMs, at that time the rate was .10 per mile. Last night I checked again and the rate seems to have gone up to .12 per mile. Gotta love it! Mileage run here I come if necessary!
You probably meant RDM (instead of EQM), right?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,PC Plat,MR Lifetme Titanium,Ex-CO Plat,UA 1K
"You probably meant RDM (instead of EQM), right?"
Yep, mea culpa. Too many TLAs for my taste.
Actually, now that I think about it, no not RDM, but whatever the new United is calling the EQM. don't really care about the RDM, it should be PQM

Last edited by afCAMEO; Mar 5, 2012 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010
RDMs are selling around 3cpm. EQMs are at around 12cpm, including the RDMs, too.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
RDM prices went up slightly from what they were under UA Award Accelerator (2-2.5cpm). UA Award Accelerator did not, however, offer EQM at all.

Originally Posted by sbm12
RDMs are selling around 3cpm. EQMs are at around 12cpm, including the RDMs, too.
I'm seeing 12.5 cpm for the EQM alone (plus the 3cpm for RDM). YMMV.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:52 am

RDMs on UA international itineraries were selling for as low as .019 cpm (and I bought some at that rate). The jump to .03 cpm, when purchasing several thousand miles, is substantial
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
I am doing my first every MR! Getting about 4000 miles for 3.9 cpm. I just hope they drop the prices of the RDM and EQM because I would actually like to purchase them as well.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JetAway
RDMs on UA international itineraries were selling for as low as .019 cpm (and I bought some at that rate). The jump to .03 cpm, when purchasing several thousand miles, is substantial
Same experience here.
I end up buying all the 0.019~0.025 cpm I could before the conversion.
perhaps the rate will come down on the new UACO after the integration is finish for a while.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
afCAMEO was right, it is PQM / EQMs that can now be purchased on united.com (a carryover of CO's Elite Maximizer). First you need to purchase RDMs (like you did woth UA's Award Accelerator) then you are offered the option of purchasing the same number of PQMs (that can be used for any level of qualification). RDM+PQMs seem to be in 12-13 cpm region at the moment. Last year on CO, it was as low as 7 cpm and as high >30+ cpm.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
afCAMEO was right, it is PQM / EQMs that can now be purchased on united.com (a carryover of CO's Elite Maximizer). First you need to purchase RDMs (like you did woth UA's Award Accelerator) then you are offered the option of purchasing the same number of PQMs (that can be used for any level of qualification). RDM+PQMs seem to be in 12-13 cpm region at the moment. Last year on CO, it was as low as 7 cpm and as high >30+ cpm.
Is there an optimal time of year to buy EQMs? I'm in at 7cpm.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Is there an optimal time of year to buy EQMs? I'm in at 7cpm.
The way things are going it looks like the optimal time was last year.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:43 pm

I just looked at a short flight i have booked, last week it wad .13 for double eqm.....this am it wad up to .15 for the double eqms. So much for the price dropping
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
This is confusing.
Some of you are using cents per mile while others are using dollars per mile but calling it cpm anyway.
Please standardize your measurements.

The correct term is 3 or 4 or 12.5 cpm (cents per mile)

saying .03 or .04 or .125 would be correct if you say dpm (dollars per mile)

I apologize if I offended anybody
It is not my intention.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
This is confusing.
Some of you are using cents per mile while others are using dollars per mile but calling it cpm anyway.
Please standardize your measurements.

The correct term is 3 or 4 or 12.5 cpm (cents per mile)

saying .03 or .04 or .125 would be correct if you say dpm (dollars per mile)

I apologize if I offended anybody
It is not my intention.
Good point-thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It would be nice if someone from UA could comment here and let us know if this is an integration issue or permanent increase in the price of RDM. At 2cpm, it was a reasonable deal. I did a fair amount of extra travel on miles I bought (typically RT TPACs that netted UA around $2500).

At 3cpm (a 50% increase), it doesn't make any sense at all. I'll travel less and/or just buy the cheapest economy tickets. Also, when I had a choice, I'd usually fly on UA in order to take advantage of the award accelerator offers.

IMHO at 2cpm it was a real win/win situation. At current pricing, they're just wasting everybody's time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.