Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Oneworld Emerald but Group B and no upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium

Has anyone experienced this? It has happened to me twice now and it’s extremely frustrating. App and Website say Oneworld Emerald and waitlisted. I’m AA Exec Plat.

i don’t get the upgrade, am #6 on the waitlist after 5 upgrades are released around T-24. Meanwhile, my husband who is also emerald on a separate PNR upgraded fine.

At the gate, I notice my BP says “oneworld Emerald” on top but it’s Group B, which is the group MVP boards in. Emerald boards with Group A. So I ask and the agent says “oh yeah, you should be much higher on the waitlist, weird.”

Long story short, it’s a glitch that seems to happen for my flights booked with my work travel agency. I have no idea how to fix it and calling AS to make sure I’m waitlisted doesn’t help at all because they just say yes.

BP below.

Is anyone also experiencing this?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Can't speak to the incorrect boarding group but your position on the waitlist was correct and it was cleared in order.
flytoeat and mtxing like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
On the waitlist: It is possible your spouse was successful due to fare class. If your travel agency for work is using certain fares I could see a difference there. I suspect in this case it could mean was #5 and due to fare you were #6. Could also be other tie breakers (or randomness in that case.)
mtxing likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Its how the agency submits your frequent flyer information. Sabre (Alaska's system) requires it to come across and link it to AS/AA. I find it faster/easier to remove it from your Alaska reservation and add it manually via the website; that ensures everything is correct. This is because Alaska's system isnt' a ONE and done deal - there's multiple systems looking at your number.

Example: the entry I use when flying AA is FFAA1234567 (and that's how its stored in the system)

But when you are flying on Alaska, it is FFAA1234567/AS when flying AS - that will make it come over correctly. *updated to show I'm using an AAdvantage number.
Arsene Wenger, williwaw and willoL like this.

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Mar 20, 2024 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Its how the agency submits your frequent flyer information. Sabre (Alaska's system) requires it to come across and link it to AS/AA. I find it faster/easier to remove it from your Alaska reservation and add it manually via the website; that ensures everything is correct. This is because Alaska's system isnt' a ONE and done deal - there's multiple systems looking at your number.
That’s a good suggestion, I’ll just leave it empty next time without a seat and once booked I’ll add it via the Alaska website. I would think that would ensure it’s all good. I have called before and asked to remove and re-add when it’s not letting me pick a premium seat, but this time it seemed ok but obviously not.

The waitlist was very strange. I was #6 and hubby #7 but then at T-24 he cleared and I became #5. I was completely confused. Then 4 more cleared in the right order, but not me. At the gate the agent did say she didn’t understand why my BP was incorrect and why I didn’t clear. I supppse it could’ve been fare related but we both paid the same price and booked on the same day.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by PowerLu
That’s a good suggestion, I’ll just leave it empty next time without a seat and once booked I’ll add it via the Alaska website. I would think that would ensure it’s all good. I have called before and asked to remove and re-add when it’s not letting me pick a premium seat, but this time it seemed ok but obviously not.

The waitlist was very strange. I was #6 and hubby #7 but then at T-24 he cleared and I became #5. I was completely confused. Then 4 more cleared in the right order, but not me. At the gate the agent did say she didn’t understand why my BP was incorrect and why I didn’t clear. I supppse it could’ve been fare related but we both paid the same price and booked on the same day.
Upgrade processor is pretty broken. I’ve had the gate agent fix it and downgrade people who were cleared ahead of me that shouldn’t have been. Submitted an Alaska listens but no response.

My bp frequently says OW sapphire when I use my AS ffn on qf, cx, qr, and ba. Removing ffn and adding back and reissuing bp has resolved it. Happened most recently in syd on qf. Agent said she has seen it a few times and it’s always been for AS elites. Not sure what AS is doing differently or her anecdotal experience was just a coincidence
QT31415 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Upgrade processor is pretty broken. I’ve had the gate agent fix it and downgrade people who were cleared ahead of me that shouldn’t have been. Submitted an Alaska listens but no response.
100% this. The upgrade process is all over the place. Unfortunately, gate agents often will dig in their heels and not admit anything is wrong so you are lucky if they downgraded people who were cleared ahead of you. Most of the time they will just tell you too bad so sad.
TalkingPoint, QT31415 and mtxing like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
My bp frequently says OW sapphire when I use my AS ffn on qf, cx, qr, and ba. Removing ffn and adding back and reissuing bp has resolved it.
On the other hand, last year I had my MVPG status misprint as Emerald when flying SFO-LAX-DOH-BLR on QR on an AS award reservation, which actually let me into the QF F lounge in LAX.
TalkingPoint likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Your best bet is to delete your FF number and reenter it just prior to checking in, if you're in doubt. Every single international trip I've been on has had OWE glitches. My spouse and I have had the same issues as you and yours. It's become a running joke and a competition - we've given up contacting customer care. It should be called "customer don't-care"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.