Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to book a 3 pax reservation with a Companion Pass? (2 paid, 1 free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to book a 3 pax reservation with a Companion Pass? (2 paid, 1 free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:27 am
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Question How to book a 3 pax reservation with a Companion Pass? (2 paid, 1 free)

Hello - this is my very first time using the Alaska Companion Pass, and I'm a bit confused.

I'm trying to book a reservation for 3 pax: me + spouse + kid. Obviously, the companion pass applies only to 1 pax, but still the UI tells me that I'm only allowed to have 2 pax on the reservation.

Does this mean that I must book two reservations? One for me + kid, and one for spouse? This feels kind of weird, so I'm wondering if I'm doing this wrong.

If I do need to book two reservations, using my Alaska Visa card will my spouse get 1 checked bag free?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This requires 2 reservations. The 3rd person therefore will not get the baggage benefit from the AS visa.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:37 am

If your spouse is also an authorized card user (which I think equates to having their own card on the account) they also get the free bag benefit without having you directly on the reservation. Getting secondary cards is easy but make sure the secondary card also has the secondary user's MP number on it, not yours.

That's relatively new (secondary cards used to have the primary user's MP number and no bag benefit) and there was a small bit of PR when they made the change. I would not trust this to work if the flight is within a few weeks and I believe the card Ts&Cs are also explicit about that. (Annoyingly I don't think there's any way to check in advance if it's all sorted out absent a phone call; I get multiply-redundant free bags (card+status) and everything I see before the actual flight still shows bag fees.)
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Yes, you need separate reservations. It’s easiest if you book the kid on the companion ticket reservation with an adult so you don’t have to convince the system that the kid is not an unaccompanied minor.

However, if you do book the kid on a separate reservation (I do that if one ticket is award and I want the adults to be the ones accruing frequent flyer miles, for example), book the adult ticket first. Then when you book the kid’s ticket, towards the end of the booking process, there’s an option to provide the record locator for the adults to tell the system that the kid is travelling with adults. It’s actually quite slick, something I haven’t seen on other airlines.
willoL likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
This requires 2 reservations. The 3rd person therefore will not get the baggage benefit from the AS visa.
Isn’t that no longer the case? From BofA, at least for new cards (but pretty sure this applies to older cards too:
Free checked bag for any cardholder who purchases airfare with their card, and up to 6 additional guests traveling on the same reservation.
No longer a requirement that the cardholder be traveling if the ticket is purchased with the card.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by glitchy
If your spouse is also an authorized card user (which I think equates to having their own card on the account) they also get the free bag benefit without having you directly on the reservation. Getting secondary cards is easy but make sure the secondary card also has the secondary user's MP number on it, not yours.

That's relatively new (secondary cards used to have the primary user's MP number and no bag benefit) and there was a small bit of PR when they made the change. I would not trust this to work if the flight is within a few weeks and I believe the card Ts&Cs are also explicit about that. (Annoyingly I don't think there's any way to check in advance if it's all sorted out absent a phone call; I get multiply-redundant free bags (card+status) and everything I see before the actual flight still shows bag fees.)

​​​​​​Have some experience here. It doesn't matter if the primary card holders mileage plan number is on the secondary card, but what does matter is that the card is used. If you pay only with wallet for ticket (or fees if reward), then partner card with your number does not get free bags.
ashill and willoL like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:37 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, you need separate reservations. It’s easiest if you book the kid on the companion ticket reservation with an adult so you don’t have to convince the system that the kid is not an unaccompanied minor.

Fascinating. I'd never thought to try booking a kid's ticket alone, and I just discovered this popup:

I sure hope linking reservations works. Otherwise an iropps could be a hot mess!
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:44 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
However, if you do book the kid on a separate reservation (I do that if one ticket is award and I want the adults to be the ones accruing frequent flyer miles, for example), book the adult ticket first.
I don't follow this reasoning: the adult would earn miles regardless whether they are my Companion Pass or are a separate reservation, right? So it seems like easiest course of action is for me to book Me+Kid and then Spouse. I'm failing to see the advantage of Me+Spouse, then Kid.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:16 pm

I'm with you--if (at least) one of the adults has status you can put that one in solo for a potential upgrade and put the other adult plus the kid on the other reservation, and it makes it a lot more reliable that if everything really goes to hell you'll still have at least one adult with the kid.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dtc
I don't follow this reasoning: the adult would earn miles regardless whether they are my Companion Pass or are a separate reservation, right? So it seems like easiest course of action is for me to book Me+Kid and then Spouse. I'm failing to see the advantage of Me+Spouse, then Kid.
The reason quoted is why I do this all the time. Use miles for the kid and let the miles and status accrue for the adults.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:21 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by czpdx
The reason quoted is why I do this all the time. Use miles for the kid and let the miles and status accrue for the adults.
Ah, I see - you were referring to award travel. Got it. My use case was around the companion pass where the person also earns miles.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
Fascinating. I'd never thought to try booking a kid's ticket alone, and I just discovered this popup:

I sure hope linking reservations works. Otherwise an iropps could be a hot mess!
The booking goes exactly as described. The "linking" of reservations is minimal: I think it's effectively just a note in the record. But it means that when I call in (eg in IRROPS) the agent immediately sees the other record and can work on them both easily. Also, when you view the reservation on alaskaair.com, there's a direct link to the linked record(s) so you don't have to lookup the other confirmation code. I don't believe automated rebooking tools connect the records. I don't recall having trouble because of that, though I don't remember if I've had IRROPS when traveling on a companion fare (or other ticket) booked like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I'm a lucky person overall, so can't speak too much to IRROPS, but I have routinely booked myself and my kids on separate bookings, dating back to when Unaccompanied Minor service would've been required if they were truly alone, and "Linking" the reservations has always been sufficient for customer service to see both and do any necessary adjustments for the entire party. Never once was there an issue that the kids seemed alone when they could not be.

This frequently involves us being in different cabins, so I think I'd have heard about it if there were any doubt they were actually accompanied. (I did sit with them almost all the time before middle school, but, by the time the kids hit puberty, they'd rather sit many rows away from a parent anyway.)

In my case, my spouse won't use status nearly as much as my kid will. (DH hates to travel, though he's invited all over the world because of his work.) So sometimes it the kid should earn miles and the adult should be the companion.

But it was not uncommon that one kid's schedule would change, or the other would visit Grandma a little longer and then fly home with her... From my point of view, you can trust the linking of reservations
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'll add a DP to linking kids' reservations. If you have to change the ticket, the fact that they're linked doesn't prevent you from doing so online. I typically change the adult reservation first, then go back and change the kids'. At no point does it prompt to re-link the reservation or alert me that I'm severing a linked reservation. Sort of seems like a flaw, but it does mean I can move things around without calling.
willoL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.