FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to book a 3 pax reservation with a Companion Pass? (2 paid, 1 free)
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:28 am
StrandedinLA

Originally Posted by glitchy
If your spouse is also an authorized card user (which I think equates to having their own card on the account) they also get the free bag benefit without having you directly on the reservation. Getting secondary cards is easy but make sure the secondary card also has the secondary user's MP number on it, not yours.

That's relatively new (secondary cards used to have the primary user's MP number and no bag benefit) and there was a small bit of PR when they made the change. I would not trust this to work if the flight is within a few weeks and I believe the card Ts&Cs are also explicit about that. (Annoyingly I don't think there's any way to check in advance if it's all sorted out absent a phone call; I get multiply-redundant free bags (card+status) and everything I see before the actual flight still shows bag fees.)

​​​​​​Have some experience here. It doesn't matter if the primary card holders mileage plan number is on the secondary card, but what does matter is that the card is used. If you pay only with wallet for ticket (or fees if reward), then partner card with your number does not get free bags.