Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Aftermath Effects on and Status of AS MAX 9 Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aftermath Effects on and Status of AS MAX 9 Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ashill
AFAIK, there was evidence of a fault with a non-critical component: a redundant pressure regulator. There is no clear evidence of any reason to believe that this was evidence of something potentially catastrophic. This is the totals classic case of hindsight being 20/20; non-critical components go out of order all the time. Thats why critical is very much not a judgement call but a carefully assessed list of components.

Very obviously, the list of critical components will need to be reassessed in light of this, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that that reassessment is part of the reason the FAA is taking their time approving an inspection procedure that would allow MAX-9s to fly again. And the NTSB investigation will surely shed light on whether AS mechanics should have recognized warning signs based on this pressurization system light. But this really seems like something we dont have the evidence to speculate about here.
Speculation, No. Possibility Yes. My experience in the AF again if I walk out to a plane looking at the maintenance logs seeing multiple write-ups for the same issue raises my caution level and discussion with the line chief while maybe not a "red X" certainly pressurization is not to be taken lightly. Now I agree that the FAA will document all this in their final report and issue the proper fix (s). Meanwhile if the merger with HA goes through I suggest Alaska keep the Neo's and look into more clearly Boeing is not getting it and won't for anytime soon.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...erly%20secured.

"The FAA issued a "Safety Alert for Operators" Sunday disclosing some airlines have conducted additional inspections on the 737-900ER mid-exit door plugs "and have noted findings with bolts during the maintenance inspections."
Anyone else find the “term “findings” opaque?

Anyway, more details here:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ts-2024-01-22/
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by wheelsup57; Jan 22, 2024 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wheelsup57
Anyone else find the “term “findings” opaque?

Anyway, more details here:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ts-2024-01-22/

Just came here to ask the same after reading the original FAA document:

https://www.faa.gov/media/74751

Discussion: The Boeing 737-900ER mid-exit door plugs have an identical door plug design to the 737-9 MAX. As part of their Safety Management Systems, some operators have conducted additional inspections on the 737-900ER mid-exit door plugs and have noted findings with bolts during the maintenance inspections.
Does that mean they reported the results of the inspection to someone, as the FAA asked, but we don’t know what the results are? Or did they find “something”?

Recommended Action: Operators are encouraged to conduct a visual inspection to ensure the door plug is restrained from any movements through the two (2) upper guide track bolts and two (2) lower arrestor bolts. Please refer to the Aircraft Maintenance Manual and 737-900ER Fuselage Plug Assembly Maintenance Planning Document (MPD) for more information, regardless of if this inspection has been conducted under the existing maintenance program prior to the EAD. As Operators conduct the visual inspections, they are also encouraged to report findings to their certificate management office.
My guess is because of a lack of an EAD for the 900ER they didn’t find anything “scary” - but the wording is confusing me.
wheelsup57 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
pretty standard language for recommended actions ... if the inspection was required/mandated by an AD or EAD, the reporting would likely include something like "findings and corrective actions taken"
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Kick the tires, if they fall off please tell someone.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Boeing Whistleblower: Production Line Has "Enormous Volume Of Defects" Bolts On MAX 9 Weren't Installed - View from the Wing

Although this is very specific detail for a commenter.....but im sure the FAA/NTSB wants to talk to this person and getting thier IP address to find them.....

Im just curious if the 900 does have some issues found....but if the overall quality with Boeing production is of suspect....what happens to recently delivered 7M8 and 787s? How do you address the overall lack of production for an entire manufacturer?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It feels very weird to click "Like" on this post... "Thanks" (for sharing this) would be better.
lupine, ashill and willoL like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It feels very weird to click "Like" on this post... "Thanks" (for sharing this) would be better.
IF they ground the 900 due to additional concerns until a fix is implemented....AS should just stop flying.....as other carriers cant help them anymore.....
dontsh00t likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by misteryub
If your TPMS sensor says your air is low but when you manually checked it, it's fine, are you going to stop driving the car immediately, or are you going to schedule a service request to get it looked at later this week? If the tire later blows out, is it entirely your fault that you didn't stop driving the car immediately?
Did they actually schedule a service request?

Or did they reset the TPMS sensor three times without bothering to even schedule a service request, much less have someone actually look at it?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by lensovet
Did they actually schedule a service request?

Or did they reset the TPMS sensor three times without bothering to even schedule a service request, much less have someone actually look at it?
If Toyota and US DOT both told you that's what you should do?
notquiteaff and mtxing like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:06 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by misteryub
If your TPMS sensor says your air is low but when you manually checked it, it's fine, are you going to stop driving the car immediately, or are you going to schedule a service request to get it looked at later this week? If the tire later blows out, is it entirely your fault that you didn't stop driving the car immediately?
If my hands-on, eyes on check shows the sensor is wrong, I'm driving the car.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What does everyone's feelings about Scott Kirby's comments regarding Boeing and its management ?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by edgewood49
What does everyone's feelings about Scott Kirby's comments regarding Boeing and its management ?
It is along the lines of what I wish I heard from Alaska.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-max-missteps/
edgewood49 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:56 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sullim4
It is along the lines of what I wish I heard from Alaska.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-max-missteps/

If UA cancels their order, queue the headline "Alaska orders additional MAX10s at a discount"
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Perhaps Boeing would redesign Max9 or Max10 without having the need for a plug option.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.