Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Aftermath Effects on and Status of AS MAX 9 Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Moderator Note

This thread continues the discussion of the AS MAX 9 after "Blow Out" incident. Staying on-topic is required. On-topic is AS-related, AS' response to the incident, AS MAX 9 news (not general Boeing news), AS 1282 passenger comments, effects of MAX 9 grounding on AS and the return to service of AS' MAX 9 fleet. Off-topic is baseless speculation, comments on Boeing or other airlines, other MAX models (or the MAX in general), non-AS FAA / NTSB actions and comments and random reactions and musings that take this thread away from AS.

Other AS-related threads are welcome. Non-AS -elated threads are welcome elsewhere on FT, perhaps OMNI.

All off-topic posts and threads will be deleted, or possibly moved without notice.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Until FAA gives the green light on 7M9, which might not be near term, AS needs to commit to operating 100% of select flights and make the difficult choice to cut the rest. This second guessing of which flight will operate is getting old and doesn't benefit anyone.

Jiburi
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
They need to allow us to move off Max9 future flights without a penalty so we can cover ourselves if the flight is later cancelled.. I changed this Sunday’s (weather permitting) several days ago but have two late next week and two in early February, and many more after that of which about 75% happen to be booked on Max 9s. I saw it says at the end of the flexible travel policy we can change up through the 24th, but changing those early February flights costs a fortune. I’m betting it will be many weeks or even months before these planes are allowed to fly again.
notquiteaff, progapanda and kate_ like this.

Last edited by Waitlisted; Jan 12, 2024 at 11:05 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by jiburi
Until FAA gives the green light on 7M9, which might not be near term, AS needs to commit to operating 100% of select flights and make the difficult choice to cut the rest. This second guessing of which flight will operate is getting old and doesn't benefit anyone.

Jiburi
yes, they need to add as much reliability as they possibly can. Right now it’s a crapshoot if the flight is operated by any variant of a 737-9; I don’t think the general public understands that a 737-900 can be swapped with a 737-9MAX at the last minute (which already happened a lot before this mess). More clarity and predictability is needed here to help ward off any additional customer relations impact from this mess. Currently AS is an unreliable operation; I’ve booked backup flights using miles on other airlines for the next month to protect myself.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
Yes, as FAA has extended Max9 grounding, AS needs to make clear which flights are operating
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
FAA update on inspection review process:
https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/safety-...ntil-extensive
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by williwaw
FAA update on inspection review process:
https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/safety-...ntil-extensive
After reviewing Boeing’s proposed inspection and maintenance instructions, the FAA determined it needed additional data before approving them. Accordingly, the FAA is requiring plug-door inspections of 40 aircraft.

The FAA is encouraged by the exhaustive nature of Boeing’s instructions for inspections and maintenance. However, in the interest of maintaining the highest standard of safety the agency will not approve the inspection and maintenance process until it reviews data from the initial round of 40 inspections.
Who is making those 40 inspections? UA and AS? Boeing on undelivered aircraft?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who is making those 40 inspections? UA and AS? Boeing on undelivered aircraft?
I read that as reviewing the data of the initial inspections that Alaska and United performed and then reported they found additional issues on other aircraft.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It must be impacting things pretty badly because my mother in law has been on hold on the phone for over 6 hours now.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Sounds like Alaska is a little annoyed with Boeing. From the latest update on the blog:

Boeing leadership has publicly said that this incident is the result of a “quality escape.” This week, we engaged in a candid conversation with Boeing’s CEO and leadership team to discuss their quality improvement plans to ensure the delivery of the highest quality aircraft off the production line for Alaska.
and

​​​​​​​
  • Our quality and audit team began a thorough review of Boeing’s production quality and control systems, including Boeing’s production vendor oversight, and will partner with our maintenance team on the design of enhanced processes for our own quality control over aircraft at Boeing.
  • Starting this week, we will also enhance our own quality oversight of Alaska aircraft on the Boeing production line, expanding our team with additional experienced professionals to validate work and quality on the Boeing 737 production line. 
TheBeerHunter and LC757 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
Sounds like Alaska is a little annoyed with Boeing. From the latest update on the blog:
And perhaps engaging in some appropriate contrition for their all-Boeing decision.
moondog, hhdl and dontsh00t like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Maybe it's time for Alaska to reconsider dropping remaining BA orders and purchasing AB, seriously. After all HA was a number on order maybe reversed the Virgin deposal pf AB this time dispose of BA. Its apparently Boeing has been deteriorating at a rapid pace.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Maybe it's time for Alaska to reconsider dropping remaining BA orders and purchasing AB, seriously.
While I would agree with the general diversification idea (and recognize that I am not an airline expert), the problem is that ordering Airbus narrow bodies now gets them new planes in X years (with X being a fairly large number) due to the backlog of orders Airbus already has on the books.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by missamo80
Where I hope "a little annoyed" is more like "existentially angry"!

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
While I would agree with the general diversification idea (and recognize that I am not an airline expert), the problem is that ordering Airbus narrow bodies now gets them new planes in X years (with X being a fairly large number) due to the backlog of orders Airbus already has on the books.
Sure; it would be a long-term strategic play, not a short-term fix-the-latest-Boeing-screwup tactic. And maybe, just maybe, losing some orders from their hometown "Proudly All Boeing" airline would help Boeing recognize that letting engineers design airplanes and be responsible for quality control in manufacturing (I'm going out on a limb without real knowledge and assuming one or both of those played into this issue) is in their commercial interest.
notquiteaff and Tack like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Very good article in today's Seattle Times summarizing the current state of things, big picture and critical details. Worth a read.

Boeing and U.S. aerospace set back by Alaska Airlines fuselage blowout
notquiteaff, beckoa, greg5 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.