Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Purchasing a Mileage Ticket in the Same Reservation as Paid Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Maybe someone will share an obvious workaround that I am missing but I really would like to be able to purchase a mileage redemption ticket and paid ticket in the same reservation to be able to access elite benefits across both tickets. As an example I am flying to Calgary for work and am taking my daughter. Had to purchase my paid ticket first and then add a separate ticket for my daughter with miles. Then spent awhile trying to get her in the same seats as me (Premium not allowed but the Boise desk did move us both into elite seats at least). My daughter is not eligible for first class or premium class upgrades like she would be if she was under my reservation.

Does anyone know if this enhancement is on Alaska IT's roadmap? United has an option to use miles to offset cost on paid tickets and Marriott allows for mixing paid and redemption days in the same reservation.

Thank you!

DuckFlyer
willoL likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Calling AS to merge the PNRs is probably the best you can do. I don't think there is anything wrong with AS's policy here, as upgrades for elites are already difficult enough. If we start making more exceptions for "plus ones", upgrades are all but gone.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
Maybe someone will share an obvious workaround that I am missing but I really would like to be able to purchase a mileage redemption ticket and paid ticket in the same reservation
Not possible. Tickets on the same PNR must be identical, including same booking class. Which revenue and award cannot be.
VegasGambler and irishguy28 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
PNRs can't be merged, they can only be split, and cross-referenced. It isn't an AS IT issue, it is the fundamental way that the underlying GDS functions.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Once upon a time companion upgrades were permitted for separate PNR's. This has been gone for at least a decade.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by beckoa
Once upon a time companion upgrades were permitted for separate PNR's. This has been gone for at least a decade.
Was that a manual process? Or did it leverage the “linking” of PNRs?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Required a call to AS. Very much manual.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
"Linking" of PNRs is nothing more than a "Hey, look over at that one, too" note in each PNR.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:23 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not possible. Tickets on the same PNR must be identical, including same booking class. Which revenue and award cannot be.
Yes, and fairly confident that this is true of ALL airlines, not just AS.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
I assume you're trying to continue to add to your own status requalification totals by purchasing the seats for yourself, and/or to avoid gifting your employer by using miles for your reimbursable ticket.

You might consider (depending on how lenient your employer would be if it were discovered) purchase your round trip, submit for reimbursement, and then cancel and rebook using miles for both of you. To avoid any kind of audit headache, I would take lots of screenshots showing it was the cheapest reasonable ticket, etc.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.