Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Interlining bags to DE on separate ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K

We know that AS will happily interline checked baggage to other OneWorld airlines on a separate itinerary.

But will they do it to non-OneWorld partners, especially Condor?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know whether AS will check bags through to DE on a separate ticket?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Does anyone know whether AS will check bags through to DE on a separate ticket?
Definitely maybe. It probably depends on the agent at check in as much as anything else.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Travel that includes multiple flights

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 18 hours between flights.”

Doesn’t say “Oneworld partners”, just “partners”.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Travel that includes multiple flights

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 18 hours between flights.”

Doesn’t say “Oneworld partners”, just “partners”.
The section just below the part you referenced, relating to multiple tickets would be more applicable:

Travel that includes multiple airlines or tickets

If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.

When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
Not massively useful when they don't include a link of interline partners, but DE will be one regardless.

​Could reach out to Reservations just to double check but going by recent experience with the (lack of) training, may not be especially helpful.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Not massively useful when they don't include a link of interline partners, but DE will be one regardless.

​Could reach out to Reservations just to double check but going by recent experience with the (lack of) training, may not be especially helpful.
A link would be too easy but in fairness, most likely wouldn't understand what they were looking at.

I have interlined on seperate itineraries. The agents in SEA, PDX, LAX should be versed in doing interline baggage. The outstations not as much as they don't see it as often but can usually figure it out so I would allow a little extra time.

These are the interline agreements AS has according to EF.

The list is quite extensive including Air Canada, WestJet & Air North in Canada.

James
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Well, that would *seem* to settle the matter. Does anybody have any real-world data points to back up/refute the theoretical "yes" here?

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A link would be too easy but in fairness, most likely wouldn't understand what they were looking at.

I have interlined on seperate itineraries. The agents in SEA, PDX, LAX should be versed in doing interline baggage. The outstations not as much as they don't see it as often but can usually figure it out so I would allow a little extra time.

These are the interline agreements AS has according to EF.

The list is quite extensive including Air Canada, WestJet & Air North in Canada.

James

Last edited by dayone; Feb 15, 2024 at 9:42 am Reason: Delete quoited image for readability.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:27 am

Well, that would *seem* to settle the matter. Does anybody have any real-world data points to back up/refute the theoretical "yes" here?
It's not a theoretical yes. Its the real printed policy. They will through check bags onto any if the airlines listed above under "may check bags to" provided the MCT is met and the connection doesn't exceed the maximum allowed (12 hours for international). I I have done this on 4N, LH, UA, DL and WS. Doing it in reverse is another story though. It will depend on the airline. For example even AA won't through check to AS on separate tickets.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
As stated, I have interlined bags on separate itineraries before. Before becoming a oneworld member, I interlined an AS revenue ticket to a CX award flying AS LAX-SEA-YVR and CX YVR-JFK-HKG//HKG-CPT. Granted they were both AS tickets but the process was easy for the LAX agent. Baggage was checked through to HKG from LAX despited going International outbound, International inbound, International outbound. The CX segments in the award PNR were amended to the flights in the AS revenue PNR.

Anyone refuting might have met an agent that didn't know about or how to interline and took the easy way out. I would ask for a supervisor to assist.

It would be nice if airlines made their interline agreements public describing what service they will or won't provide on a single or separate PNRs. Although, I am sure AA wouldn't be eager to disclose their unfriendly policy.

I do have an AS multi-carrier award on a single PNR coming up soon on EI, AS & AC. EI also interlines with AC so in theory, I should be able to check through my bags all the way to my final destination in Canada but I am not checking baggage to test that.

This is definitely one area where AS excels, especially on separate PNRs. AA won't even interline baggage to themself on separate PNRs.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 5, 2023 at 8:55 am
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
As stated, I have interlined bags on separate itineraries before.
I have done it, too. It was before AS joined OW,a new it was either connecting to DE or BA. Checkin was at a small outstation with Horizon staff, and they handled it well.

AA’s policy is terrible.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 4:01 pm

As stated, I have interlined bags on separate itineraries before. Before becoming a oneworld member, I interlined an AS revenue ticket to a CX award flying AS LAX-SEA-YVR and CX YVR-JFK-HKG//HKG-CPT. Granted they were both AS tickets but the process was easy for the LAX agent. Baggage was checked through to HKG from LAX despited going International outbound, International inbound, International outbound. The CX segments in the award PNR were amended to the flights in the AS revenue PNR.

Anyone refuting might have met an agent that didn't know about or how to interline and took the easy way out. I would ask for a supervisor to assist.

It would be nice if airlines made their interline agreements public describing what service they will or won't provide on a single or separate PNRs. Although, I am sure AA wouldn't be eager to disclose their unfriendly policy.

I do have an AS multi-carrier award on a single PNR coming up soon on EI, AS & AC. EI also interlines with AC so in theory, I should be able to check through my bags all the way to my final destination in Canada but I am not checking baggage to test that.

This is definitely one area where AS excels, especially on separate PNRs. AA won't even interline baggage to themself on separate PNRs.

James
How did you get EI, AS & AC on a single "award"?

EI will definitely through check this itinerary on a single ticket. Not sure if you a muti ticket PNR. If you have more than two connections you may have trouble finding an EI agent that knows how to do it.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
Success with the new policy?

Planning on flying from SFO to India thru Air India, but I'm from AUS. Was thinking of booking AUS to SFO on AS separately and saw that AS can transfer bags. However, the new policy is just like AA's, so I was wondering if there was any success with this. It's a 9.5 hour layover in SFO, so plenty of time.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lookatthenameyo
However, the new policy is just like AA's
Specifically, "the new policy" now reads:

If you're traveling on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.If your travel includes more than one ticket, each ticket is considered a separate journey. Baggage will only be checked to the final destination on the first ticket. Please allow enough time to collect your baggage and re–check in with the next airline. Checked baggage will not be transferred on to your next flight that's on a separate ticket. Baggage fees for each carrier may apply.
That would seem to eliminate AS interlining on separate tickets. Probably shouldn't be burying the lede in an old DE thread.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Specifically, "the new policy" now reads:

That would seem to eliminate AS interlining on separate tickets. Probably shouldn't be burying the lede in an old DE thread.
When did this policy become active? With AS almost always now requiring a separate revenue positioning flight to pick up a partner award in a gateway due to lack of AS saver award space, this really sucks.

Thanks for starting a new thread. Will continue discussion there.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lookatthenameyo
Planning on flying from SFO to India thru Air India, but I'm from AUS. Was thinking of booking AUS to SFO on AS separately and saw that AS can transfer bags. However, the new policy is just like AA's, so I was wondering if there was any success with this. It's a 9.5 hour layover in SFO, so plenty of time.
probably a lot safer to book AUS-SFO on UA, they will check the bag through to AI.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.