Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Repricing reservation + maintaining preferred seating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:31 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent

Hey all, a niche question (which is a FlyerTalk specialty):

I booked ORD-SEA for $160 back when I had AA status (Platinum Pro) which entitles to Premium Class / Preferred Seating on AS.

Fast forward, fare dropped $40 for the same flight but I don't have AA status anymore so I'm wondering if there's a way to reprice the reservation but maintain my seating (17A, exit row / preferred seating) without needing to pay extra. Totally prepared for the answer to be no, but I just did this same thing on United so wondering if it's possible. Online, it seems like the options are 1) cancel and rebook, which means I lose the seat, or 2) change the flight to something else and then back again, which again means I lose the seat.

Am prepared for a "you can't have your cake and eat it too / just consider the $40 as your exit row fee" but figured I'd ask the FlyerTalk wizards if there is a way to do it myself. Assuming I could call / text but likely would get met with the same answers (given the state of AS agent training nowadays...).

PS: This thread is related, but not exactly the same situation; mods feel free to combine if needed.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:49 am

You can text or call Alaska and have them issue you a wallet credit directly without rebooking. I believe it is technically not policy to do so, so it somewhat relies on the rep's willingness to do it for you, but also I have had them do it multiple times without any questions or issues.
banshee10 and bj27 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:33 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
You can text or call Alaska and have them issue you a wallet credit directly without rebooking. I believe it is technically not policy to do so, so it somewhat relies on the rep's willingness to do it for you, but also I have had them do it multiple times without any questions or issues.
Thanks doublemazaa! Easy enough. Just gave them a call and was a fast process. Rep wasn't sure how to do it but asked a supervisor and then was no issue. Received a $40 certificate in my email with the rep still on the phone. Reservation online shows an updated fare class (G now, as opposed to O before) and the new fare.

Now... the page to deposit the certificate into my Wallet is broken but I guess that's a problem for another day.
doublemazaa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.