Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold first class upgrade at time of booking with K fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:08 am
Original Poster

The cheapest main fare available right now for the flight I want to buy is in K fare class. A true first class is $140 more than the K ticket.

The benefits page says that I’d be eligible for a first class upgrade at time of booking, but there is no availability shown in first class (7 seats occupied, 9 seats ‘unavailable’). I presume this means there is no U fares available right now.

If I buy this fare will Alaska automatically upgrade me if U fares become available? What does the “First Class Upgrade Waitlist” mean? Do I need to watch or set ExpertFlyer alerts for U space? If/when U availability comes along, will it be free to up-fare to U if I already hold a K ticket?

How does this work?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
There will probably be haters out there that don’t like my reply - but, I speak reality.

any upgrades outside of the 72 hour mark literally don’t exist at this time. It’s all about fare class when the window opens. Their goal is to sell the seats.

I was on pace to hit lifetime status in about 3 years, and my world has changed and I’m honestly at peace with it, it’ll now take 10 years. But the GGUs are worthless. The instant upgrade concept is closed. If you want a comp upgrade, it’s all about fare class at T-72
missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:20 am
Original Poster

I can appreciate the realities of the situation, that Alaska wants to sell the seats rather than providing a ton of upgrade space.

I’m just confused about how the mechanics of the supposed benefit are supposed to work.

Here is a clearer example, AS2076 Sea-oak on June 6th shows upgrade availability, there are 10 of 12 first class seats unoccupied, I choose First class upgradable from the search results and then when selecting seats all the FC seats become unavailable and it forces me to choose a seat in main.

How is a upgrade on booking even supposed to work?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
I can appreciate the realities of the situation, that Alaska wants to sell the seats rather than providing a ton of upgrade space.

I’m just confused about how the mechanics of the supposed benefit are supposed to work.

Here is a clearer example, AS2076 Sea-oak on June 6th shows upgrade availability, there are 10 of 12 first class seats unoccupied, I choose First class upgradable from the search results and then when selecting seats all the FC seats become unavailable and it forces me to choose a seat in main.

Is the F icon dark? Has to have it dark inside of hollow for instant upgrade. Otherwise you are just paying more for chance at it opening sometime later.
pcoll likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie
Is the F icon dark? Has to have it dark inside of hollow for instant upgrade. Otherwise you are just paying more for chance at it opening sometime later.
Yes, first class upgrade space is available now. Obviously in this case it would be dumb to buy first via an upgrade fare vs just buying first outright. I am just trying to understand how the instant upgrade process is supposed to work.

Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:40 am

Yes, first class upgrade space is available now.

Buying F directly better for that route. But IIRC if you buy the upgrade fare you select regular seat first then it gets upgraded and you select F seat after ticket issues.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM

The seats don't become unavailable; you just aren't able eligible to select one because you're booking in main at that point. You need to complete your booking in an eligible economy fare class, and then you'll be upgraded to U quickly after booking and be able to choose a seat in F.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snsec
The seats don't become unavailable; you just aren't able eligible to select one because you're booking in main at that point. You need to complete your booking in an eligible economy fare class, and then you'll be upgraded to U quickly after booking and be able to choose a seat in F.
ok thank you.

So in the case where there is no upgrade space at booking, but becomes available later (unlikely, I know) do the upgrades process automatically? Or would I need to follow up with Alaska to process the upgrade?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mikexner
any upgrades outside of the 72 hour mark literally don’t exist at this time. It’s all about fare class when the window opens. Their goal is to sell the seats.
Can't agree with this. I got a 75K upgrade at booking just three days ago (and on the lowest available fare). While it's true the 120 hour clearances have become less common, I'm still close to 100% on upgrades with AS. If you were to move to a carrier that aggressively sells upgrades out from under elites (hello, UA), you'd probably feel differently about AS.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
ok thank you.

So in the case where there is no upgrade space at booking, but becomes available later (unlikely, I know) do the upgrades process automatically? Or would I need to follow up with Alaska to process the upgrade?
If you purchase an eligible fare and there is no U space availability, you will be added directly to the upgrade waitlist rather than the upgrade request queue for your Elite Tier.

Should U open between purchase and the T-120 hour window when ineligible fares are added to the upgrade waitlist for 75K/100K Elites and you are next on the upgrade waitlist and the upgrade processor actually runs, you would be upgraded.

If K class is already the lowest fare bucket available for sale, you don't have an option but could be upgraded before T-120.

If there are lower ineligible fare buckets still available, I would never buy up to an eligible fare class unless there is availability for the immediate upgrade.

James
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I actually get pretty lucky using GGUs with the AS CC companion fare to hawaii.....ive routinely everyyear done a trip to the islands this way. This year SFO>>OGG for 2 - 616 rt all in - confirmed in F class....for 313 rt per person in F class....thats probably one of the best deals going (other than if you could tack on a transcon from the east coast for cheap and with U space too). I am happy
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I actually get pretty lucky using GGUs with the AS CC companion fare to hawaii.....ive routinely everyyear done a trip to the islands this way. This year SFO>>OGG for 2 - 616 rt all in - confirmed in F class....for 313 rt per person in F class....thats probably one of the best deals going (other than if you could tack on a transcon from the east coast for cheap and with U space too). I am happy
That is my favourite pastime. Nothing better than using a Companion Certificate and the little box to apply the GGU first appears after the sixth segment. Helps with the segment requirements while keeping the segment cost in around the $75 range. I do that whenever I can since I have little faith in the upgrade processor.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is my favourite pastime. Nothing better than using a Companion Certificate and the little box to apply the GGU first appears after the sixth segment. Helps with the segment requirements while keeping the segment cost in around the $75 range. I do that whenever I can since I have little faith in the upgrade processor.

James
that’s why I actually don’t want waitlisting of GGU. It will be a GGU arms race. I suspect it will be higher priority for all complementary upgrades close in to the flights. Look at UA and Points plus.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.