Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

If ticket price goes down, will changing itin = refund?

If ticket price goes down, will changing itin = refund?

Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Same as above... just cancelled a reservation to take advantage of the Mexico fare sale, the funds posted instantly to my wallet, and I was able to rebook at the cheaper price.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Same here as well.

I noticed that a number of my bookings for the fall have substantially reduced pricing... I was able to recapture about $450 in credits just by rebooking at current prices.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:41 pm

This thread gave me confidence to cancel and quickly rebook a couple itineraries for holiday travel sea - east coast. I booked before a bigger price spike but even though the flight is very full, AS dropped the fare $300 per person!

I guess it's not in Alaska's interest to make it easy to collect the fare difference, but I always buy Main with it in mind. Pretty soon more people start using Google flights for this purpose?

Now if I can just get over that Alaska is 2x the price ANC-SEA in August compared to Delta....I'll use the credits.

Last edited by StrandedinLA; Dec 9, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Delta Silver, United Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, National Executive
Funds in Alaska travel wallet instantly

Just wanted to post that, as others noted previously, attempting to change the ticket with the same flights wasn't possible, however, cancelling and depositing funds into the 'wallet' was instant and I rebooked a lower fare. So it appears fairly standard.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
For the first time I can think of possibly ever, just cancelled a flight to save a few bucks ($10) from the sale that posted today, and a flight I bought a few days ago (> 24 hrs) didn't credit back to wallet immediately.. Not typical, but a data point that it can take longer.. Decided to put more $$ on a card to keep my seat assignment, but I may have just left things alone for the low savings if I'd have known it wouldn't be instant..
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by swdcflyer
Just wanted to post that, as others noted previously, attempting to change the ticket with the same flights wasn't possible, however, cancelling and depositing funds into the 'wallet' was instant and I rebooked a lower fare. So it appears fairly standard.
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
For the first time I can think of possibly ever, just cancelled a flight to save a few bucks ($10) from the sale that posted today, and a flight I bought a few days ago (> 24 hrs) didn't credit back to wallet immediately.. Not typical, but a data point that it can take longer.. Decided to put more $$ on a card to keep my seat assignment, but I may have just left things alone for the low savings if I'd have known it wouldn't be instant..
I have gotten mixed results here. Sometimes cancelling snd rebooking posted immediately. Other times it took longer.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
Apologies to drag this one up, but would love to know about this guarantee in combination with the companion fare. Booking some flights that have gone up recently, not sure if they'll be dropped back down again but seems possible.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Any recommendation for getting price drop alerts? Google flights provide alerts, but the alert is not specific to one flight.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eethan
Any recommendation for getting price drop alerts? Google flights provide alerts, but the alert is not specific to one flight.
I used to use Yapta. There are others.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I used to use Yapta. There are others.
Do you have recommendations? I also used to use Yapta and never found an adequate alternative.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by bayareafamily
I am reading that change fees are gone forever (for all, right? not just status?) ...
Except for Saver (X) fares. Those can never be canceled or changed.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Do you have recommendations? I also used to use Yapta and never found an adequate alternative.
I miss Yapta. Those were the days. I haven't found a solution - just have been sporadically checking flight prices when I have time (especially for flights that are further out and more prone to fluctuations)
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:04 pm

Glad I found this thread which gave me the confidence to try it since the Wallet funds are (usually) available right away. I have an upcoming trip that dropped $180 today. I tried to change it but the original flight wasn't on the list so I picked an earlier flight that was also cheaper and got $270 back to my Wallet immediately. But when I tried to change it again to my original flight, there was no option to use the Wallet funds to pay the $90 fare difference! I guess I misunderstood how this all works. So I ended up canceling the entire trip, whole amount went back to the Wallet immediately (whew!), and re-booking the original flight with the Wallet funds. And have the $180 in my Wallet.

I guess next time I'll try to change it to a flight that is the same price as the desired flight so that there is no fare difference when I change it back to the desired flight.
ssk244 and Bellerina like this.

Last edited by pakle; Jan 4, 2023 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pakle
Glad I found this thread which gave me the confidence to try it since the Wallet funds are (usually) available right away. I have an upcoming trip that dropped $180 today. I tried to change it but the original flight wasn't on the list so I picked an earlier flight that was also cheaper and got $270 back to my Wallet immediately. But when I tried to change it again to my original flight, there was no option to use the Wallet funds to pay the $90 fare difference! I guess I misunderstood how this all works. So I ended up canceling the entire trip, whole amount went back to the Wallet immediately (whew!), and re-booking the original flight with the Wallet funds. And have the $180 in my Wallet.

I guess next time I'll try to change it to a flight that is the same price as the desired flight so that there is no fare difference when I change it back to the desired flight.
It's a pain but I usually end up cancelling/re-booking the entire thing if the flight that I'm originally booked in is cheaper. I haven't had good luck with trying to change it/then back again.
pakle, chrisl137 and Bellerina like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.