Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Final Horizon Q400 Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
So we are all wearing matching clothing orrrrr?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
no

just NO
itripreport likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by teddyarrowhead
I had to fly on a Q400 the other night from SEA to PDX. Obviously it was a short flight, but holy lord I’ll be happy to see those gone. Every other person had to get off to gate check their bag because the bins are uselessly small, my exit row window in 2E was offset so I couldn’t see a thing, and those seats just aren’t made for full sized humans. Maybe I would have been more nostalgic if I hadn’t booked a first class award ticket before they swapped aircraft and gave me a $75 credit to alleviate the impending pain and suffering. I’m not sure that was enough.
OMG, having to endure a DHC8-400 for a 44 minute flight.

I love the Q400s
A -la-carte is easier/quicker than dealing with people fussing with overhead bins
Two door loading/unloading is always quicker than one door.
DUT, notquiteaff, Calculon and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
While I didn't get to fly it much, I'll miss the Q400. It would've been nice to see more US airlines operating fuel saving turboprop flights on routes where aircraft speed isn't a big factor. The free northwest wines and microbrews were a nice benefit as well.

I might still have my QX Q400 t-shirt somewhere.
DUT, notquiteaff and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by CZBB
OMG, having to endure a DHC8-400 for a 44 minute flight.

I love the Q400s
A -la-carte is easier/quicker than dealing with people fussing with overhead bins
Two door loading/unloading is always quicker than one door.
I will take the Q400 any day over a 737 on short hops. I can be to the destination in a Q400 before the 737 even gets the passengers loaded.
DUT, CZBB, jrl767 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Poster

The final flight is two days away! Incidentally, I gave a Lyft ride the other day to an Anchorage based Horizon FA. I mentioned my plans and he thought it was cool.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by teddyarrowhead
I had to fly on a Q400 the other night from SEA to PDX. Obviously it was a short flight, but holy lord I’ll be happy to see those gone. Every other person had to get off to gate check their bag because the bins are uselessly small, my exit row window in 2E was offset so I couldn’t see a thing, and those seats just aren’t made for full sized humans. Maybe I would have been more nostalgic if I hadn’t booked a first class award ticket before they swapped aircraft and gave me a $75 credit to alleviate the impending pain and suffering. I’m not sure that was enough.
Oddly I'm able to fit my 22" LuggageWorks Stealth rolling bag in the OH bin of these Q400s.

I for one will definitely miss the complimentary beer and wine onboard these flights but an upside of going all E175 is First Class service.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
just SDCd my relatively inexpensive 7am SEA-GEG to the 1230pm, so I can now leave home at a civilized hour and not have to spend the entire day at GEG
trektheusa likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Unexpectedly took N445QX this morning from PDX to GEG. Was booked on a Max 9 but checked to see if there was an earlier flight. Now ready for tomorrow 😂
Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Oddly I'm able to fit my 22" LuggageWorks Stealth rolling bag in the OH bin of these Q400s.

I for one will definitely miss the complimentary beer and wine onboard these flights but an upside of going all E175 is First Class service.
does the demise of the Q400 mean the demise of the free wine and beer? Was that a Q benefit or a Horizon benefit? Is Horizon also going away? I don't much drink so rarely partook of random beer/wine offered to me even free but it was fun knowing it was an option.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe
does the demise of the Q400 mean the demise of the free wine and beer? Was that a Q benefit or a Horizon benefit? Is Horizon also going away? I don't much drink so rarely partook of random beer/wine offered to me even free but it was fun knowing it was an option.
Free wine and beer was a Q thing. So RIP Q equals RIP free wine and beer. Bean counters at AS are happy. Horizon is not going away E175 fleet will be expanded to 50 which will increase your chances of getting into foggy airports as QX 175s are Cat III while OO 175s are not
psychtobe likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
hey I ended up on a Q tonight! thought it was an EJ but lucked out. it is still flying back to pdx tonight and then flying tomorrow as well.

where are these planes going after tomorrow?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe
hey I ended up on a Q tonight! thought it was an EJ but lucked out. it is still flying back to pdx tonight and then flying tomorrow as well.

where are these planes going after tomorrow?
Weebly link has a good list of where the Q are going

https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/q400.html
They are either retired at VCV or parked at PDX or YAM, base for JD Aero who is QX's maintenance contractor.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks to whoever cancelled out of 4E; that’s a much better seat than 16D
anteater and trektheusa like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
thanks to whoever cancelled out of 4E; that’s a much better seat than 16D
ha! I got a window seat at check in as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.