Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 11:03 am

Hi all... looking to go LAX-TYO in March. On Roame.travel I found a nonstop on 3/19 that says bookable through Alaska for 75k points in business class. But it doesn't show up on Alaska when I search there.

Has anyone had success in calling in to Alaska? Are they able to find the fare?

TIA
Old May 14, 2024, 11:35 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

@zippyzop Welcome to FlyerTalk. In most cases, the agents have access to same inventory displayed on alaskaair.com.

Most of the third-party reward search engines do not natively search AS award inventory.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://roame.travel/search?origin=L...lexibleDates=0

Doesn't show any more at the link, is it possible you were seeing cached results? Roame says sometimes results are cached and will be stale (someone has already booked the travel).
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Im sure many of you are seeing the same, but inventory has basically dried up, especially out of JFK to TYO.

I was hoping to change an upcoming J flight to the new 350s they are running daily out of JFK but they do not seem to be releasing anything, at least for now.
Old May 16, 2024, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Dont see any premium availability from Tokyo to SFO in July or August. I last redeemed on this route In 2018, 60k in JAL F, what value!
Old May 17, 2024, 8:00 am

Since start of 2024, hardly if any cx/jl awards for AS.

Used to be plentiful ...

Moved my miles away from AS due to this reason
no point being able to get many AS miles if cant find a use for them.
cyborg likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:29 pm

Hi All,

I have a LAX-HND on premium economy, but want to add HND-BKK on Business as a stopover. I tried to do this online and called once, both times unsuccessful. I know it's possible to book a stopover using HND-BKK on Premium Economy, but I havn't had success adding the business leg. Anyone know what's within the rules? Should I HUCA?
Old May 27, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
wow yea there is 0 award inventory on SFO->TYO in the next two weeks, not even econ...

seeing the same on AA, JAL policy change or IT glitch?
Old May 27, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by RedPanda5
wow yea there is 0 award inventory on SFO->TYO in the next two weeks, not even econ...

seeing the same on AA, JAL policy change or IT glitch?
It's a busy time. Today and tomorrow those flights are sold out. JAL revenue management may have some new algorithms. Look at the availability through JAL. They have dynamic pricing for Y,PE,J awards. I looked at J and I see over the new week that JAL is offering dynamic J awards on that route for 70k JAL miles on some dates (as opposed to 50k saver), so they are available to JAL members at a fairly reasonable price, but those are not made available as saver awards to partners.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Hi All,

I have a LAX-HND on premium economy, but want to add HND-BKK on Business as a stopover. I tried to do this online and called once, both times unsuccessful. I know it's possible to book a stopover using HND-BKK on Premium Economy, but I havn't had success adding the business leg. Anyone know what's within the rules? Should I HUCA?
I don't know if they allow mixing PE with J. I think they should so long as you pay the Business Class miles. Pretty sure you won't be able to do it online. You will have to call. They definitely do allow mixing PE with Y, so you might try first adding HND-BKK in PE (if available) or Y, and after that is booked double-check J space is still available HND-BKK and ask to change that segment to Business.
Old May 27, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Since start of 2024, hardly if any cx/jl awards for AS.

Used to be plentiful ...

Moved my miles away from AS due to this reason
no point being able to get many AS miles if cant find a use for them.
With anticipated approval of AS merger with Hawaiian, should have award flights from HNL to Tokyo and Osaka on Hawaiian.
Spoiler

HawaiiO likes this.

Last edited by Chihua2016; May 27, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Old Jun 12, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What's the latest trick to add your AS number to a JL booking? Even though I booked using miles, I just want my OWE status for lounge access.
Also just as a DP, no luck with the usual 2 week trick (worked for me the last 3 years in a row, but I went off season those times). Guessing JL either has a new algo, or because tourism is crazy right now they are not releasing anything in J 2 weeks out (at least to/from west coast).
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ssk244
What's the latest trick to add your AS number to a JL booking? Even though I booked using miles, I just want my OWE status for lounge access.
Not an answer to your question, but a few observations from my recent trip:
Last month (May 2024) I booked two JL tickets using AS miles. The first contained two JL flights only; the second contained two JL flights and one AS flight. When I pulled up the flights on JL's Web site to select seats, the first did not have my AS number, and there wasn't an option in the drop-down list to select AS as a mileage program. The second reservation did have my AS program and number already selected and entered.

Not sure of the significance of the above, but all the boarding passes that I obtained from online check-in do have my AS number and status (including lounge access) printed on it. I don't specifically recall entering it when checking in online for any flight, but it was there in all cases.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mikew99
Not an answer to your question, but a few observations from my recent trip:
Last month (May 2024) I booked two JL tickets using AS miles. The first contained two JL flights only; the second contained two JL flights and one AS flight. When I pulled up the flights on JL's Web site to select seats, the first did not have my AS number, and there wasn't an option in the drop-down list to select AS as a mileage program. The second reservation did have my AS program and number already selected and entered.

Not sure of the significance of the above, but all the boarding passes that I obtained from online check-in do have my AS number and status (including lounge access) printed on it. I don't specifically recall entering it when checking in online for any flight, but it was there in all cases.
Hmm thanks! Hopefully mine is logged and will just have to make sure that they know it's in the system when I check in. Yeah, same thing - there's no option in the drop down list anymore which is why I decided to ask in here - I recall previously I was able to add it through the JAL drop down menu in Manage My Booking.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 12:32 am

Hi all,

Have got HNL-NGO business class and try to add one more leg NGO-PVG, business class too.

Having called several times but got no luck, even if plenty of seats are clearly shown as avaiable on AS website also on BritishAways too.

Most of the time, the representive got back telling me that JAL has returned unconfirmed when they sent request to book the seats.

Please, anyone knows the trick to proceed there?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.