Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Noticed a bunch of routings were updated to new pricing overnight, precisely MH and QR flights. Under 1500 miles flights are available at 15,000 miles in business (DPS-KUL, DOH-CAI). Maybe would be useful for someone. At the same time connecting flights are not pricing correctly, MH DPS-KUL-SIN is priced at 50,000 miles in business despite being 1420 miles.

CX intra Asia is still priced 12,500 miles in economy. Business is still blocked.

Besides this first zone under 1500 miles everything else is priced crazy and totally uncompetitive (the next tier 1501-3000 is priced at 50,000 miles! when I checked a few routes that was like twice more expensive than other programs offers).

It's really sad how they trashed AS MP into nothing. Between loosing most of valuable partners, crazy pricing, blocked availability on Cathay I've been struggling to spend my miles since 2018 (that I stupidly credited to AS :facepalm.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by urww
Noticed a bunch of routings were updated to new pricing overnight, precisely MH and QR flights. Under 1500 miles flights are available at 15,000 miles in business (DPS-KUL, DOH-CAI). Maybe would be useful for someone. At the same time connecting flights are not pricing correctly, MH DPS-KUL-SIN is priced at 50,000 miles in business despite being 1420 miles.

CX intra Asia is still priced 12,500 miles in economy. Business is still blocked.

Besides this first zone under 1500 miles everything else is priced crazy and totally uncompetitive (the next tier 1501-3000 is priced at 50,000 miles! when I checked a few routes that was like twice more expensive than other programs offers).

It's really sad how they trashed AS MP into nothing. Between loosing most of valuable partners, crazy pricing, blocked availability on Cathay I've been struggling to spend my miles since 2018 (that I stupidly credited to AS :facepalm.
Been a lot of gaming of MP in Asia. A number of these recent changes appear to curtail some of the existing sweet spots and loopholes, while leaving some value for those connecting from other regions.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:33 am

Booked BOS-NRT for 80k miles months ago.
I was trying to add a NRT-NGO leg hoping it may reprice the ticket at 75k miles under the new award chart.
But agent told me there has to be availability in J for BOS-NRT leg so that they can reprice the ticket..

Update: Another agent was able to add the NRT-NGO leg, and refunded 5k miles
Alexsth2011 likes this.

Last edited by louloufafa; Mar 27, 2024 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Just checked FC rate and is now pricing at 110K miles
My ticket was like 65k last year...
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes - if you look at the mileage chart many of the routes are just over by 115-400 miles putting trips into the next bracket. sfo-tyo, sfo-bkk, tyo-bkk, etc Not my favorite program anymore
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:47 pm

Just cancelled 2 seats from SFO-NRT on May 2nd. The tickets went back into Alaska miles available inventory so hoping someone here can redeem for them...
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:52 pm

Has anyone been able to reprice award bookings that went down? I have a few 80k NYC - TYO bookings that are now in theory 75k but not available.

Also I noticed that AS now has a lot more availability than AA. Seeing 9+ on many flights from jfk - hnd in April
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:50 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes - if you look at the mileage chart many of the routes are just over by 115-400 miles putting trips into the next bracket. sfo-tyo, sfo-bkk, tyo-bkk, etc Not my favorite program anymore
I also noticed that going through random searches. I focused on short routes (as they seem to be the only worthwhile redemption) and a lot of routs that could be useful are a tad longer than 1500 miles. They definitely did their homework .
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:14 pm

Looks like a block of J award space was just dropped between Tokyo and Seattle. 13 days in April have J availability NRT-SEA right now at 60k, and about the same going the other direction. Many days have 5+ seats. Haven't seen JAL this wide-open from SEA in awhile.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by usflyer16
Looks like a block of J award space was just dropped between Tokyo and Seattle. 13 days in April have J availability NRT-SEA right now at 60k, and about the same going the other direction. Many days have 5+ seats. Haven't seen JAL this wide-open from SEA in awhile.
Great!
Did they change the award chart? Distance between 3,001 and 5,000 miles shows 60k in business class.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
Great!
Did they change the award chart? Distance between 3,001 and 5,000 miles shows 60k in business class.
Yes, that's still the "Starting at" price on the new chart. I just called it out since so many other airlines are pricing above the chart, and the most notable part was all the availability!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:08 pm

OK so I am running into a problem. I should be able to book a multi-city routing from HNL-Tokyo (all airports)-Taipei (all airports) with the expectation that there is pretty much a free stopover in Tokyo on JAL right? However when I try to do that, I get an error that there are zero flights available. However, when I do a separate HNL-Tokyo booking for 04/15/2024, I get plenty of JAL availability, specifically one that I like is HNL-HND, Flt. 71 that includes Premium availability which I will happily pay for. Then I did a separate 04/17/2024 booking from Tokyo to Taipei, thinking the reason for the error was because there were no JAL award flights available, however, I found Flt. 809 for 7.5K miles.

So why can't I book the exact same two separate legs doing a multi-city booking of HNL-Tokyo, then Tokyo-Taipei and thus supposedly save myself 7500 miles? Can I call Alaska for them to do it for me manually since it shows up as two available legs on their search engine? Or does the stop-over in Tokyo anymore because everything is distance based?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:02 pm

Hi All. Is it possible to do a mixed cabin award fare with a stopover? I don't think the online multi city tool allows this but can agents do it over the phone? Example LAX-HND-BKK (LAX-HND in Premium Economy on 05/01 & HND-BKK In Business on 05/05)?

I found availability for each segment I just don't know if it's possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.