Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] What Do You Think of BofA AS Credit Cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] What Do You Think of BofA AS Credit Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sullim4
AMEX has zero branches but yet Delta doesn't seem to care that there's no AMEX brick and mortar "bank" in Atlanta or any of their hubs.
https://www.truist.com/checking/debit-cards
https://www.truist.com/small-busines...lta-debit-card

Originally Posted by sullim4
Money is the biggest mover, and whoever offers Alaska the best combination of the biggest slice of the pie and the best opportunity for growth will get their cobrand business.
And I'm saying it's likely to be BofA because they like the local angle (and the deal is thus more meaningful to them in $, which helps them increase the bid). If Chase really wanted to tick off WN/UA I guess they'd also be an option given their reach in the PNW. And if US Bank decided they want to get into the game and overpay a bit (given their size disparity with BofA) I could see it happening.

Barclays is just this "hey, we'll take the odds and sods leftovers" company in the cobrand space like Synchrony (they're tied up with AA because they inherited business from US). Which I mean, OK, great, what's their motivation to outbid BofA given they have nothing in PNW markets?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 75K
My AS BofA is my least-valued card. I really only got it for the 60K bonus miles and discounted AS lounge day passes. 3X on travel purchases? Yawn.... I can get that with pretty much any other card (and usually with redemption multipliers on top of that). I did enjoy the half-off lounge passes at AS lounges but AS put an end to that at the ones I frequent in SEA & PDX. The free bag thing has no value to me as an AS elite. I generally use Chase cards and am very happy with them. I guess the joke is on me though because I see a lot of people using their AS cards and a lot of friends/family have and use them a lot.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by mtofell
My AS BofA is my least-valued card. I really only got it for the 60K bonus miles and discounted AS lounge day passes. 3X on travel purchases? Yawn.... I can get that with pretty much any other card (and usually with redemption multipliers on top of that). I did enjoy the half-off lounge passes at AS lounges but AS put an end to that at the ones I frequent in SEA & PDX. The free bag thing has no value to me as an AS elite. I generally use Chase cards and am very happy with them. I guess the joke is on me though because I see a lot of people using their AS cards and a lot of friends/family have and use them a lot.
This was pretty much me... until my wife's physical card got stolen and I had to get government regulators involved in overturning a denial of our fraud claim (backed by a police report) by BoA. Now we just deal with Chase and AMEX, neither of which gave us any trouble with claims arising from the same incident.

To answer the OP's question - my view of the BoA AS credit cards is fairly dim from both the hard and soft product perspective. This is certainly in contrast to the number of AS Visas I see whipped out in various stores - presumably they do well with the mainstream crowd.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I don't think as much of it since they took away the AL day pass purchase option.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mtofell
3X on travel purchases? Yawn
I thought it was 3x on AS purchases only? 3x on all travel would make the card more enticing given its annual fee.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:24 pm

I have 2

My wife and I use them about once a year each, to book a companion fare ticket. Occasionally we used them to get into the lounge, but aside from that they stay in the sock drawer.

Last edited by spamman808; Oct 30, 2022 at 5:28 pm Reason: tense
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I thought it was 3x on AS purchases only? 3x on all travel would make the card more enticing given its annual fee.
I think you're right.... Since about 90% of my travel purchases are to AS I tend to think of them as the same. Usually, when I'm getting hotels or rental cars (which isn't all too often) I redeem my Chase UR points since I get 150% value.... bringing this discussion full-circle as to why I don't value the AS card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.